Control Line Flying!!

Being in the latter half of my fifth decade on this rock, you’d think I would have flown control line by now. Yesterday I flew control for the first time. It was a hoot!! I used to think CL was something that preceded RC, but frankly, I think RC is easier! Unfortunately, when I ran out of fuel, I let the lines get slack, and that was the end of it. The plane is very repairable, and I’ll be at it again shortly!!

The first shot is how the plane looked when I first picked it up at the club auction. It was pretty dirty, with some sagging covering. I spent a little time with some 409, and then my iron and heat gun, and got it looking not bad for what it is.

A couple of the old control line fliers helped me get it in the air. One of the experienced pilots flew a couple tanks through it, to get it sorted from a trim perspective, and then I had my go at it.

I may take the opportunity to re-cover the whole plane since I have to remove a fair bit of covering to do the repair. I think I have enough red, white, and blue for a pretty decent covering scheme.

At any rate, control flying was fun. I may be hooked, and certainly will be dizzy!!!
A9FA114A-B819-42F6-99E7-FF14830FB65B.jpeg
0698FFA5-81B6-4DC7-A6ED-9204645AFFC6.jpeg

degriz

Flew control line about 50 years or so ago with my dad taking the first flight on my Cox plane, He proceeded to crash very shortly after take off.

Well that started my education into building, and flying as my dad purchased balsa kit after kit that we built together. I remember some of the Sterling kits we built, some covered some solid balsa.

Took about 20 or so years after that before I finally ventured into RC, dad helped with a Sig Smith Mini plane and a Golberg cub.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Being in the latter half of my fifth decade on this rock, you’d think I would have flown control line by now. Yesterday I flew control for the first time. It was a hoot!! I used to think CL was something that preceded RC, but frankly, I think RC is easier! Unfortunately, when I ran out of fuel, I let the lines get slack, and that was the end of it. The plane is very repairable, and I’ll be at it again shortly!!

The first shot is how the plane looked when I first picked it up at the club auction. It was pretty dirty, with some sagging covering. I spent a little time with some 409, and then my iron and heat gun, and got it looking not bad for what it is.

A couple of the old control line fliers helped me get it in the air. One of the experienced pilots flew a couple tanks through it, to get it sorted from a trim perspective, and then I had my go at it.

I may take the opportunity to re-cover the whole plane since I have to remove a fair bit of covering to do the repair. I think I have enough red, white, and blue for a pretty decent covering scheme.

At any rate, control flying was fun. I may be hooked, and certainly will be dizzy!!! View attachment 117091 View attachment 117093

That's a nice one. Is it a Nobler?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I remember control line days back in the 70's when I got one of the cox 049 models for Christmas.

I remember freezing my butt off, gettin my cold fingers whacked by the prop when it would slip out of my hold thru the gloves trying to wind the spring starter and not be nervous worrying it would instantly jump from my grasp and eat my face.

Then by spring wishing it had a larger fuel bowl because I no longer got dizzy spinning in circles.

Then baseball season came and girls along with that so the line control thing slipped into oblivion hehe.

applecrew135

My first experience was with a Cox 0.49 Stuka. I must have been around 12 or so. I never could get that thing to fly. Takeoff.... wing-over... and crash! Fast forward a couple of more years, and my younger cousin got a Testor's Zero. Had no trouble getting it in the air and getting dizzy with that one! It was a hoot! LOL..

Best of luck with your new addiction!

Tommignon

I used to fly control line as a kid and built many models. I’ve also been into RC during the 90s and early 2000s. Then stopped for a few years. Recently I started building and flying the Flite Test fold and fly dollar store planes I love them. Im going to convert one to control line. But I plan on adding some of the things we used to do to keep the line tight. 1. slightly longer wing in the inboard side. Add lead to the outboard wing. Offset the rudder etc. I just need a good timer for the speed control. I’ll probably just start with a light receiver and have someone else control the throttle. Should be fun.

Bricks

Master member
Back in the 60`s I used to do Rat Racing control line, talk about a hoot four guy`s running in a circle trying to keep lines untangled. Used baloons for fuel tanks and most races had to do at least one pit stop.