Control Linkage??

Chrisl

Hello I so I built a Delta wing from scratch and then the Spitfire this weekend. I love my Spit! I have a question regarding the control Linkage....I completed all steps per the build video and have the servos set at center with the control linkage attached. My linkage bends quite a bit in both directions when I use the Alirons, Ele, rud etc.. Is this the correct set up? Are the FT builds linkages suppose to bend when you move them? Or do I not have them attached correctly? Please advise.

Thank you very much!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Not sure what is causing the bending. Are they flexing due to the control surface being hard to move? Or are the speed clevises too tight and not allowing the clevis to swivel as the servo moves?

DrBones

Yes - I learned this the hard way. The speed clevises - or EZ pushrod adjusters that mount on the servo arm need to be able to swivel freely. So, if you tightened those too much...it'll bend the pushrod.

Chrisl

After researching a little bit I figured out what was causing this. You both are correct thank you. I got home and loosened the nut on the back of the servo horn which holds the clevises or push rod linage stoppers, this corrected the issue. My only concern is the nut on the back is so loose it will eventually fall off but since the clevises are threaded shouldnt really be an issue. Anyway, Thank you for your responses!!!! :)

Billchuck

After researching a little bit I figured out what was causing this. You both are correct thank you. I got home and loosened the nut on the back of the servo horn which holds the clevises or push rod linage stoppers, this corrected the issue. My only concern is the nut on the back is so loose it will eventually fall off but since the clevises are threaded shouldnt really be an issue. Anyway, Thank you for your responses!!!! :)

This is an issue, actually. Get some locktite or similar to make sure the nut won't come loose. Otherwise the vibration will come off and then the linkage stopper will come out of the servo arm. If that happens you'll get to experience flight without control. And then you'll get to experience a crash. :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Loctite is your friend or a nylock type of nut. You do not want those to come loose on you, be assured if they do, it will be at the worst possible time! Not that there is ever a good time to lose control of your model.

Chrisl

Great Idea! haha looks like two great minds are thinking alike ;) I can just use a bit on the end of the thread and it'll stop it from falling off.. Thanks for the advise! now I cant wait to get this thin in the air.. Im a little nervous but I can always build another :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thread lock works best when used very sparingly on the the metal only. Tiny drop on the side of the bolt near the top so the nut spins through it, is best. I've seen a lot of people soak the whole thing thinking that is best, but if its in the threads inside the nut, it will work best.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That will work short term, but check it often, as CA will let go on metal to metal connection without warning. Threadlock stays flexible and keeps on working, even with vibration.