Control Surfaces - Scratch Build Tips

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

With the popularity of our speed build (scratch build) kits, Chad wanted to share some fast tips on control surfaces for your scratch built RC aircraft!

When cutting the chamfer for your hinges, a sanding block is another great option. Simply hot glue sandpaper to a piece of plywood and use it in place of a razor.

Make your own control horns by cutting a zip tie and drilling a hole for your push rod.

Another great tip for repairing and strengthening your hinges on your foam board airplanes is by squeegee-ing a thin bead of hot glue into the seam.

Hopefully these tips were helpful! Be sure to leave a comment or post a video of any tips that you have!

Thanks for watching!

earthsciteach

Very good tips. I really like the zip tie control horn. Wooden coffee stirrers would work equally as well. Starbucks donates a lot to me without their knowledge. :rolleyes:

I know on one of the other builds Bixler say do the hot glue on the hinge right from the start to prevent that from happening in the future. That's how I plan to do it from now on!

aiidanwings

I haven't thought to try the zip tie trick. That is a wonderful use of scrap pieces. Popsicle sticks work great too. To the hot glue on the hinges trick, they work fine in mild weather , but they will bind the 110f summers here. I have had great results the the Walmart colored craft duct tape placed on the flat side of the hinge.

Tips of this sort are the kind you would get from a good buddy , after a while I get tired of the "see what I can do" scenic videos and appreciate the videos that improve building skills. WHO DOES THE MODERATING Must be David because everything now must be multirotor or fpv

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Tips of this sort are the kind you would get from a good buddy , after a while I get tired of the "see what I can do" scenic videos and appreciate the videos that improve building skills. WHO DOES THE MODERATING Must be David because everything now must be multirotor or fpv
:confused: yes, perhaps, but remember, they base their content on what viewers ask for. The viewers have asked for quads and FPV.
In addition, may I remind you of the spitfire episode?