Help! Control Without Pushrods

Crudnik

Put my first real (mini scout) build back on the workbench and I realised that I don't have any rods to push my control surfaces. Suggestions for alternatives? Can I use string or wire if extend the horn through the surface and have two connection points?
Thanks.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use the wire from utility marking flags. Get them from the big box store like Lowe’s, $10 or so for 100.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your servos/control horns are setup correctly you can do a pull/pull situation with fishing line.

quorneng

Master member
If you build light and use small servos mounted close to the control surface then the push rod can be really short. Just the wire from a paper clip will do. ;)
AilUnder.JPG

The aileron link on my 40" (1015 mm) span Super Cub.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
.020 or .032 welding wire also works well. Small spool for $10 is pretty much a lifetime supply.
DOH!
I ran out of music wire I had, so I bought more pushrods several weeks ago and had to wait on them holding up a build yet have a few spools of welding wire in the barn...didnt even think of it, thanks for that, I have a couple lifetime supplies of push rods now

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@Aireal Anarchist it's not quite as stiff as same size of music wire but close, and most importantly, cheap and abundant! Lol I love using the .023 on micro builds, it just fits most micro servos. If I have to run .023 very far i'll use a little coffee straw or poly tube as a guide (or go with .035 or .040)

And I'd you dont have a welder setting around your own shop, any exhaust shop in town would give you a couple feet for a handshake...