controller question

BlackSheep1

can anyone that has built the Karken as to how many channels would be needed? I just checked the hobby shop here and I could get a 4 channel or a DX5 or DX6. The only thing I have a problem with the 4 channel is that it will not come with mixing or rec. both the DX5 and the DX6 are out of my budget at this time. so my question is this without the receiver or mixing can the 4 channel be still used?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
can anyone that has built the Karken as to how many channels would be needed? I just checked the hobby shop here and I could get a 4 channel or a DX5 or DX6. The only thing I have a problem with the 4 channel is that it will not come with mixing or rec. both the DX5 and the DX6 are out of my budget at this time. so my question is this without the receiver or mixing can the 4 channel be still used?

I haven't built a Kraken but I believe it can be flown with three channels if you use an on board V-tail/elevon mixer and a y connector for the twin motors.

If this is your first plane I suggest starting with the FT Flyer rather than the Kraken. Flying wings can be more challenging to get to fly and the Kraken is really big so more challenging.

If budget is tight for the controller either:

HobbyKing HK-T6A-M2/ Flysky CT6B - make sure to get the programming cable

or

Turnigy/FlySky i6

The HKT6A/CT6B requires a PC to program it and you can do quite a lot with it but you will be happier with the i6.

The HobbyKing and Turnigy versions are usually priced a bit better but you can buy the FlySky versions elsewhere.

Another super low budget alternative is to get a used DSMX DX5e. You can find these for around $40, sometimes with a receiver. I would avoid the older DSM2 ones personally but they can work. Not as flexible as either of the two above but you can fly Spektrum DSMX BNF models with it which is a plus depending where you live. You can buy replacement Orange or Lemon DSMX receivers for not too much.

Generic 4ch type TXs will get you going if that is all that is available but unless this plane is a one off for you, you will want something better almost immediately. Having servo reverse switches is convenient. Some may even have a vtail/elevon mix setting avoiding the need for an on board mixer.

Just be aware that different brand TXs do not typically work other brand RXs. HobbyKing is very confusing in this respect because it re-brands several incompatible makes even within it's own sub-brands.

BlackSheep1

Well I had checked the local hobby shop and all of the Spektrum controllers I saw was from about $99.00 to $400.00 with receivers. The only one Spektrum was a 4 channel without a receiver for $50.00. And just the two servos alone cost me $65.00.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Well I had checked the local hobby shop and all of the Spektrum controllers I saw was from about $99.00 to $400.00 with receivers. The only one Spektrum was a 4 channel without a receiver for $50.00. And just the two servos alone cost me $65.00.

Quick tip- Spektrum doesn't make any 4 channel transmitter. In fact, pretty much any transmitter you see listed as a 4 channel transmitter has an auxiliary (fifth) channel. Even those dinky little transmitters that come with the HobbyZone Champs are 5 channel transmitters.

Making an investment in a good transmitter now will definitely be worth it later down the road. I love being able to support my local hobby shop by buying from them but sometimes it's best to stay within my budget. If you really can't afford to buy a better spektrum radio, look at some of the hobbyking options that were posted above. :)

mdmccat

I have the FlySky FS-T6 about $56 on amazon. And bought my son the FS i6 for roughly the same price. Both work good. The FSi6 has a couple more options and both come with transmitter. I'm not 100% sure why I (or others) need a $400 controller, but I'm a noob. Would love to hear why if others have an opinion.

I have the FlySky FS-T6 about $56 on amazon. And bought my son the FS i6 for roughly the same price. Both work good. The FSi6 has a couple more options and both come with transmitter. I'm not 100% sure why I (or others) need a $400 controller, but I'm a noob. Would love to hear why if others have an opinion.

What you get with a more advanced TX is hardware, superior software and more channels (> 6ch) Better knobs, switches and gimbals. Better ergonomics. Telemetry, voice and one million things to configure to your hearts content. But as a first radio, no

The Flysky/Turnigy i6 is a great radio to begin with. Bargain price for the features you get. The receivers are cheap and have a good range. Especially if you are on a tight budget. The only thing I do miss is a timer for those planes that can't carry a lipo alarm. (Telemetry is another thing, but then you really need a more advanced radio)

reburg99

I a big fan of getting used equipment. I picked up a DX6i from a guy at the field I fly at for $50. If you don't fly with anyone else, check Craigslist. There are always guys getting rid of something. You can good quality gear and a reasonable price. I like the Spectrum gear, for BNF(Bind and Fly) and you can get quality receivers cheap. Check out LemonRX. Keep in mind that whatever you decide to go with, you'll need to get receivers for everything you plan on flying.. that can really add up fast. I would also recommend getting a transmitter that has model memory.

mdmccat

What you get with a more advanced TX is hardware, superior software and more channels (> 6ch) Better knobs, switches and gimbals. Better ergonomics. Telemetry, voice and one million things to configure to your hearts content. But as a first radio, no

The Flysky/Turnigy i6 is a great radio to begin with. Bargain price for the features you get. The receivers are cheap and have a good range. Especially if you are on a tight budget. The only thing I do miss is a timer for those planes that can't carry a lipo alarm. (Telemetry is another thing, but then you really need a more advanced radio)

The i6 has telemetry but my other receiver doesn't

WM4MM

I had 3 topline radios all by Airtronics (one of the best) unfortunately Airtronics went out of business and I could no longer get receivers so I went to FlySkyi6. I have found no difference in range and the FS has had no glitch problems like the Airtronics plus I have modded it to 10 ch. The receivers seem to perform as well and they are 1/3 the price. BONUS the software is almost (maybe is) open source and new mods are being developed.