Controlling both rotors and servos

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I've got ideas for future projects that would require gyro control of both rotors and conventional control surfaces simultaneously.
Are there fc's that will do that?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
All FC's can do this, the software is the question. Betaflight can do anything from Tricopters to Octocopters, and all types of planes, but if you want to blend the 2, you will probably require a custom mix. What are you trying to accomplish?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Hard to describe what is in my head but basically a tail sitting hybrid.

Looking forward to seeing it come to life :)

If what you come up with looks more like a VTOL with a definite transition, you'll want to look at VTOL specific firmware. I think there are a couple of open source projects, but they might need specific hardware. Definitely have a plan before you start buying stuff ;)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have considered doing this several times. One plan is to use the FT Dart with modified motor mounts to get the thrust centered on the wing. Also modified winglets so it will Tail sit. You could use just about any firmware. Set it up for leveling mode for VTOL, and full manual for forward flight. After playing with the single copter, bicopters, tricopters, wings, and several different firmwares, it should be doable.

I already have the Dart kit, and this is in line with my plans to fly more planks!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Edit:. Have a couple f4 fcs that will run ArduPlane. There is VTOL capabilities in Ardu*, so this might be a good place for these.

Last edited:

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I have considered doing this several times. One plan is to use the FT Dart with modified motor mounts to get the thrust centered on the wing. Also modified winglets so it will Tail sit. You could use just about any firmware. Set it up for leveling mode for VTOL, and full manual for forward flight. After playing with the single copter, bicopters, tricopters, wings, and several different firmwares, it should be doable.

I already have the Dart kit, and this is in line with my plans to fly more planks!

Cheers!
LitterBug

You are much closer to doing this than I am. I will watch what you do if it happens. In the meantime, I'll continue to learn and work towards this.

And yes, I think the Dart is a good candidate for this sort of thing.

L Edge

Master member
The hardest part of a VTOL flight is making the transition from vert to horizontal flying. So you need a fc that has a program that you can adjust the time and controls so it doesn't drop out of the sky.

My setup is different where the servos are on the leading edge of the wing where the FC moves the servo for elevons and the yaw is differential thrust of the motors. This is a year's worth of work to get it to hover(with drift). I have made a model that has done forward flight only and it flies. Now I have to refine the hovering and work on transition value. Probably spent 100 hrs to learn the software and do your own programming.

I used OpenAeroVtol to get where I am.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Gathering all the parts together. Probably don't need quad thrust, but keeping my options open by printing two sets of motor pods. LOL The 2nd set of mount positions are scored but not cut in the kit. :-D

IMG_20200209_104441563_HDR.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This reminds me of the X-Vert that HH sells except the motors are off set.
Yeah exactly. I could use the other motor mount points to spread them out, but that will also shift the weight back. We'll see where the weight is first.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got a good supply of motors and props. Picked up a 4 pack of BETAFPV 1106 5000kv motors, and a variety of 2 and 3 blade 3" props. Will be doing the FT Dart build this weekend.

Really ought to pull the singlecopter out of the garage and get it ready for the indoor fly next friday night. Been saying that for quite a while now.

SingleCopter.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Picking up servos from RMRC this afternoon.

Last edited: