Help! Controlling input rates for differential thrust

Oldbrass

Howdy!

So here's my question... How do it (using my Flysky T6) set up differential thrust so it doesn't crank the throttle on one engine over another? Ideally, I'd like the left throttle stick to control power input to both and then the right "rudder" stick to run increases and decreases in power to those engines respectively, but without cranking them like crazy. I tried differential on my lat build but it make the plane just shy of unflyable due to the sensitivity of the inputs If you breathed on the right stick it would spin out of control. Ultimately, i gave up and put a rudder on, but I'd really like to get this worked out. How do I do this?

Thanks, everyone! Happy New Year!

Oldbrass

So my only issue was that I'm trying this with EDF's and the differential thrust on those was straight up crazy. You'd just look at the stick and it would spin out of control. I need it to maintain normal thrust from the left stick and then just add enough to act as a rudder so I can skip that servo and save that weight. Is that what he's talking about at minute 6:30?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So my only issue was that I'm trying this with EDF's and the differential thrust on those was straight up crazy. You'd just look at the stick and it would spin out of control. I need it to maintain normal thrust from the left stick and then just add enough to act as a rudder so I can skip that servo and save that weight. Is that what he's talking about at minute 6:30?

I'm a quad guy.. My fixed wing experience has yet to go past a one full pack flight. I just have no life and live far too much Flite Test.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I setup up differential thrust on a FT Dart and I had to scale back the differential thrust impact quite a bit... so for example full left/right only changed the thrust by 25% of max on each side...

IE 50% throttle, full left rudder, my motors were spinning at 25% and 75%... Basically you need to mess with your mix until you get the desired 'rudder' effect out of the differential. if you have it so that full rudder and 50% throttle zeros 1 motor and maxes the other and your getting to much rudder, then you need to down your mix rate until it is more tolerable.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
looking at the manual, you would need a mix from throttle -> empty channel at 100%, then a mix from rudder -> throttle at say 50% and rudder to empty channel at -50% (opposite direction)

Oldbrass

looking at the manual, you would need a mix from throttle -> empty channel at 100%, then a mix from rudder -> throttle at say 50% and rudder to empty channel at -50% (opposite direction)
Thanks! The lazy me looks at this and says "looks like I'm putting a rudder on!" but the trouble shooter me wants this to work on differential for the weight savings and because it's thwarting me and thus, ticking me off! :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ideally, I'd like the left throttle stick to control power input to both and then the right "rudder" stick to run increases and decreases in power to those engines respectively, but without cranking them like crazy.
Sounds like you have the correct mix, you just need to reduce the weight of the mix so it doesn’t over power.