Controls

Leg0er

Hi, I'm looking into getting the Parkzone cub as a first plane.
I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible.

1. Should I get this plane or a different trainer?

2. Should I get RTR or get a high-end controller and get BNF?

Thanks for your time!

Please reply!

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
hello ! welcome to the forum !

Whatever radio control you buy; I suggest you get a programable transmitter, this way you can use it in more than 1 model and you will learn the basics of transmitter programming; its a transmitter that you can grow with.

If you are looking to the Spektrum family you should get at least the DX6i as entry level.

Other popular Choices are the Turnigy 9x; Futaba 6Ax

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
Welcome to the forum,

My advice is to buy a bixler. A bixler is about the same price as the a cub but you can do much more with it. For example, I bought my bixler to train with it. When I could fly my bixler good I bought some FPV gear and now I am using it as a fpv platform. My advice is to buy a bixler. You can buy a bixler from hobbyking.com
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16542

You can buy the bixler as a RTF but I suggest that you buy the Bixler ARF and use your own radio/charger. For about 130 dollar you will have a great plane with a programmable radio and charger.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The CUB is fine but you should also look at the HobbyZone Champ.
The RTR radio is not very much and is good for the plane it comes with.
Getting a DX7s or DX8 is a lot better if you are sure that you will get a lot of planes soon but the transmitter will be the BIG cost and if cost is no issue then you might look for a bigger trainer than the CUB /Champ.
The CUB / Champ are superior planes if you dont have a big field when starting to learn.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
My advice is to buy a bixler. A bixler is about the same price as the a cub but you can do much more with it. For example, I bought my bixler to train with it. When I could fly my bixler good I bought some FPV gear and now I am using it as a fpv platform.

Really? I have to disagree. "you can do more with it".....okay, take off from the ground. Or land on the wheels. Yes you can put fpv on it but you can put fpv on just about anything. If you aren't looking to do fpv with it then the statement that you can do more with a bixler is false.

If you want a trainer that you can do the most with, try the Hobbyzone super cub, not the Parkzone cub. It's a 48" wingspan similar to the bixler, it's a high wing that can carry lots of weight, has many more options available to it and you don't have to do a bunch of fixes to it out of the box before it's good to fly. Plus you can take off and land on it's wheels, buy the drop module that plugs into the bottom or for 35 bucks you can get the float kit that installs in about 10 minutes. Try that with your bixler.

The champ is okay, I've got one. If you want to do anything more than fly in circles in the park then I would go for something bigger. You can't really grow with the champ but it's a great first plane.

How much are you looking to spend? Where do you fly? Do you fly with anyone else and if so what do they fly with?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Both for a Cub and a Bixler you need at least a full-size soccer field area. What are your dimensions?

Several people fly at the local little league field near my house. It has a great manicured infield that you can take off and land on with wheels, and a nice manicured outfield that you can use to belly land if you don't have wheels. It's also big enough that I have taught a couple of my friends to fly there and there's plenty of space. A soccer field would be great but it's not necessary. We fly really big nitro planes in soccer fields.

Leg0er

I think I'll get the champ, just because in the UK it's cheap, and I only want to try out the hobby. I don't want to get a big plane and then discover RC isn't my thing.

Last edited: