Convertible airframe

CptCrazyFingers

I would love to see what crazy designs people can come up with that incorporate mechanisms that allow a plane to convert its airframe. A common example would be variable sweep wings similar to an F-14, B-1, or F-111. Maybe you can design a cool VTOL aircraft that has hide away rotors or EDFs that can be deployed and retracted by the flip of a switch. I love trying to see what can be done just for the fun of it. Experimentation helps you understand how and why things work the way they do. It's also the best way to get the creative juices flowing.

Don't be afraid of failure. It can be the best teacher you ever had.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
There is one guy here doing a single ducted "nanophan" that flies vertical/hovers. I'm attempting two "crazy" projects. 1 is the VF-9. a dual ducted fan engine with vectored thrust to point down. during hover. (much like the Sky terror from Real Flight) and there is the LPL Flying Submarine project I hope to get flying and landing here this month. Sinking it is next month.

Project Links Below.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
There is one guy here doing a single ducted "nanophan" that flies vertical/hovers. I'm attempting two "crazy" projects. 1 is the VF-9. a dual ducted fan engine with vectored thrust to point down. during hover. (much like the Sky terror from Real Flight) and there is the LPL Flying Submarine project I hope to get flying and landing here this month. Sinking it is next month.

Project Links Below.
update - both projects are on hold for the moment.