Converting/Creating .svg files for laser cutting.

nfltr8

Hey guys,

Bit of a long shot, but I'm a complete newb as far as the laser cutting scene goes.
I have recently purchased a laser cutting system, equipped with a 5500mw laser.
As far as engraving/printing images and plain text goes, that works out fine.
However my main reason for the purchase was for cutting foam & balsa.
Does anyone have any experience with trying to convert FT .pdf plans into an svg file for laser software to read?
Yes, I've googled and I understand that Inkscape seems to be most people choice for this, but when I try it increases the dimensions up to 3264mm by 2112mm.
Obviously this is a little too large, but I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• ft screeny.png
    ft screeny.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 0

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You're in pixels not mm. Just to the right of the dimensions change it to IN or MM and see how you're doing.

Note - the stock plans tend to be a bit big to fit on a sheet of 20x30 foam...Once you delete the outline and the extra stuff you may still occasionally have to re-arrange some of the parts to fit on a sheet - though most of the newer plans will "just fit"

I have a couple of videos showing the process I use up on youtube - I'd share it here for you but I already shared it once this week and don't want to feel like I'm spamming the forum :D If you can't find them and want to see them let me know...but just searching my name on youtube should bring them up.

nfltr8

Either in px or mm, the dimensions dont change :/
However I have found your channel on youtube, and subscribed.
Listening to your instructions now, I'll let you know how I go :)

Shurakair

I believe you need to set the units before you import the PDF. By default Inkscape opens up in pixels. Change it to mm then import the PDF. I'll confess, its been a very long time since I've used Inkscape but I think that's how it works.

nfltr8

Thanks guys, you were both correct.
I have managed to create the svg, and edit to my requirements.
Now conducting tests regarding speed/power required.

Thanks again guys.

IcedStorm777

I have just decided i want to laser cut the foam for Ben Harver's viper f-16. the printer that i have access to is a 610mm by 460mm. is there anyone who knows how i could move the plans around to make them fit a smaller laser cutter?