Help! Converting Rc Racing Car From Brushed To Brushless.......

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar i believe you've done a conversion.....
I did, but it was pretty simple since I bought the Velineon vxl-3s setup for my slash and it’s designed to be a direct drop-in. It’s insanely fast on 3s. :) In fact I am doing a rebuild on it specifically track driving and put a bunch of new upgraded parts so it should drive super well now.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I did, but it was pretty simple since I bought the Velineon vxl-3s setup for my slash and it’s designed to be a direct drop-in. It’s insanely fast on 3s. :) In fact I am doing a rebuild on it specifically track driving and put a bunch of new upgraded parts so it should drive super well now.
cool.... i wouldn't mind having a rocket on wheels:p

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yep! And if you are going full speed when you hit the grass you can keep going. Just don't expect to start going again once you stop on the grass.
I’ve also got the Traxxas E revo 2.0 vxl and that thing never fails to amaze me at what it’s able to do. It doesn’t even mind tall grass!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
mine is really low clearance.... but i may be able to jack it up...
then it would look really cool...
i would post a pic if i could find the camera:rolleyes:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here’s where my slash is at right now. It has the new tires and shocks on, but I have a new LCG chassis, receiver box, stainless steel screw kit, savox servo, and aluminum steering bell-crank at home waiting to get out on.
5FA72277-462E-47E0-B8F5-F114CE629E6D.jpeg 3D0C875A-0957-4BD8-AE56-4BE9D357ADE7.jpeg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
In need of a wash and a new tail "fin" but otherwise this is a really sturdy car... maybe with brushless, i'll actually be able to do a glider tow/winch system with this monster
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

GingerFly

One thing to thing to think about is if your car can handle brushless at all. Brushless puts TONS of force on the components that were not designed to withstand a brushless motor. At a minimum, you will probably need to replace the clutch and gearbox with aluminum gears, and often times you will need to replace the driveshafts with aluminum as well. so that is just an extra cost to think about.

for your question on what motor to use, I would look if anyone has done this conversion to theirs, see what they used, and how it turned out. Also, I would recommend going with a more reputable brand if you can spare the cash. the components will be a lot more reliable, and you won't have to worry about your ESC quitting on you, or worse, catching fire.

Phin G

Elite member
hmmm.... oh boy i can drive off road.... just put up ramps at the beggining and ends of the tall grass areas... full throttle and fly/leap over those areas.... just aim right or you hit a tree...
i remember doing that with my bike at a mountain bike course, went up for the step-up, i went full speed, there was a small turn and then there was a tree, i hit the tree at full speed, the forks bent slightly and i wrecked the wheel. my dad converted a brushed car to nitro and it is dangerous. it has cut my brothers had open after smashing multiple plant pots and has hit of multiple paving stones. brushless is the best way to go

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
One thing to thing to think about is if your car can handle brushless at all. Brushless puts TONS of force on the components that were not designed to withstand a brushless motor. At a minimum, you will probably need to replace the clutch and gearbox with aluminum gears, and often times you will need to replace the driveshafts with aluminum as well. so that is just an extra cost to think about.

for your question on what motor to use, I would look if anyone has done this conversion to theirs, see what they used, and how it turned out. Also, I would recommend going with a more reputable brand if you can spare the cash. the components will be a lot more reliable, and you won't have to worry about your ESC quitting on you, or worse, catching fire.
yea.... all of the gearbox components are metal, and same for driveshafts... i do not thin there is a clutch... but i am pretty certain this car can handle brushless...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
In need of a wash and a new tail "fin" but otherwise this is a really sturdy car... maybe with brushless, i'll actually be able to do a glider tow/winch system with this monster
View attachment 207048 View attachment 207049 View attachment 207050 View attachment 207051
Looks like a 550 size motor to me. Check the dimensions with another 550 size motor and if it’s the same then almost any 1/10 scale rc car motor will work. Goolrc has the motor/esc combos for pretty cheap.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Zoo I am hoping to buy bigger shocks soon, that'll raise the suspension by about 5cm...
But in the meantime I stripped all the electronics off and gave it a good was with the pressure washer... What a difference soooo much cleaner..
And then I discovered that the motor had a ton of grit in it, so I cleaned that out and gave the motor A good spray with silicon spray... If u don't use this stiff you should seriously look into it... Its incredible stuff for any moving parts...
Now I've just got to charge my batteries, and it should run a whole lot better without a gunk full motor:p...
Will report back with results