Cool Ways to Detail Ft Planes!

I should have some more plane detailing ideas to post here soon. I’m headed to Seff for the weekend so I have have been building planes like crazy lol. Let me know if any of y’all are headed there!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This was my first attempt done in Adobe Illustrator, printed in large format at Staples, cut out and spray glued to the foam board, and covered with clear packing tape. It was kind of complicated, I think I like the Sharpie way better!
View attachment 105717
I call it the Starchaser!

A guy in my club built one of these and I got to help with the maiden last weekend - looks very sharp and nice flying plane!

MafcoDesigns

Now I am working on ideas for the FT Spear I have just built. I drew an outline of the plane (top & bottom) and made several copies so that I could experiment with different graphic ideas. Here is my first idea paying homage to one of my favorite WW2 fighters, the P51 Mustang!
Spear_Mustang.jpg

spacer

Hmm... I wonder about using the chrome paint, and while it's still wet, drag some seam lines through it, then use a retracted ballpoint pen along them (just press the tip in a little) to make 'rivets'

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That's a really cool design, I have always wanted a spear and might do this with spray paint and some sharpies!

spacer

I replaced my winglets with black FB, and am considering the chrome paint idea for the wings and part of the center section. I may replace the hatch door with black FB too, and replace those wood pegs with little neo magnets.
If I don't do the chrome, then the black hatch, and cut out a Jolly Roger in paper, lay it on a wing, and lightly spray it over with paint for a subtle sky-pirate theme.

Blackfin, PIrate of the Sky! Yarggg! blackfin.jpg

I just picked up some Chrome silver paint. Maybe I will paint a mini F-22? I have that plane already and I think it would look cool in silver!

MafcoDesigns

Wow, lots of really cool designs in here! I am still working on ideas for my Spear. Here is my latest sketch, a spaceship Spear! I kind of like the direction of this one.
Spear_Spaceship.jpg

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That looks really good, how are you going to apply it to the actual plane however? Sharpie?

MafcoDesigns

That looks really good, how are you going to apply it to the actual plane however? Sharpie?
Yes, I will first draw out the design lightly with pencil then do the fill and color with Sharpies, I will probably also do either a laminate or clear packing tape over the design to finish it off.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That’s a really good idea, I might get some thinner packing tape and do that with some of my models.

quimney

I favor using sharpies... I've painted a number of planes but the paint always makes them seem brittle and the paper comes off too easily.

Attachments

• IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • iphone 498.JPG
    iphone 498.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • iphone 589.JPG
    iphone 589.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • iphone 031.JPG
    iphone 031.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Yes, I have the same problem with the paper peeling. I have a a few different techniques I use to reduce the chances of it peeling. I use the Flite Test trick of putting hot glue on the hinge lines to keep it from peeling. Another method is to put the paint on in very very light coats until it is the right color. I used these techniques on my Bushwhacker and had no problems with it peeling on the damp grass at Seff.