Votes: 28 45.2%
  • I'm divided on the issue....

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

MooreRC

I think it is over hyped by the media
COVID-19: Approximately 127,863 cases worldwide; 1,323 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 12, 2020.
Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.
Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

evranch

The biggest concern for younger people is it overloading the healthcare system and chewing up all the hospital beds. If 10-20% of patients are hospitalized and it goes through 70% of the population... that's a lot of hospital beds that we don't have. Flu already does this to some extent and our system in Canada already has long wait times on a good day.

You are unlikely to die of coronavirus, but you could die while waiting for treatment from an accident or another preventable illness in an overflowing hospital.

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
I think it is over hyped by the media
COVID-19: Approximately 127,863 cases worldwide; 1,323 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 12, 2020.
Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.
Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu
Ok, this is per year, covid-19 has been around for 3.5 months

basslord1124

Master member
....They don't even have a cure for the common cold because it mutates so much. Or I could be wrong and this could be the end of life as we know it. Not likely though. Look at SARS or H1N1, we are still here. We haven't taken any serious precautions yet, but we are watching to see how this plays out. As i understand it Italy has now shut down all travel in and out, is that hype or is it warrented, who knows?

My conspiracy mind says they probably have cures for the common cold and probably other illnesses/diseases BUT they won't release the cure b/c the pharmacy companies can't make money from that. Give you the cure and you're done pretty much. BUT if they keep you sick then can keep on giving you the meds to help with some of the symptoms. That may or may not be true, but something I have felt for some time. Kinda like how there are better fuel alternatives for cars BUT why do that when there's lots of money in oil.

I had heard that about Italy too...they would even put you jail too for violating their rules and policies for protecting against Coronavirus.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So...Here's how I see it.

Do what you SHOULD be doing - that is, wash your hands thoroughly, don't scratch your butt or lick your fingers and then start touching everything, wipe down surfaces with cleaners, etc., don't visit people who are infected, etc. - but at the same time, don't think you need to live in a bubble for the rest of your life. We've seen widespread panic over diseases before - SARS, Zika, avian flu, swine flu, West Nile, for example - but we've bounced back from it. I think this is escalating to worldwide panic levels because we're so much more in tune via social media than we were with the previous ones.

Is it serious? Yes. Should we be washing our hands and keeping clear of those infected? Yes. Am I going to live my life in a bubble? No.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My conspiracy mind says they probably have cures for the common cold and probably other illnesses/diseases BUT they won't release the cure b/c the pharmacy companies can't make money from that. Give you the cure and you're done pretty much. BUT if they keep you sick then can keep on giving you the meds to help with some of the symptoms. That may or may not be true, but something I have felt for some time. Kinda like how there are better fuel alternatives for cars BUT why do that when there's lots of money in oil.

I had heard that about Italy too...they would even put you jail too for violating their rules and policies for protecting against Coronavirus.
I think pharmaceutical companies engineer symptoms into their medicines to sell you more pharmaceuticals. Add in a healthy dose of fear mongering by the media and you have yourself a jackpot.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So...Here's how I see it.

Do what you SHOULD be doing - that is, wash your hands thoroughly, don't scratch your butt or lick your fingers and then start touching everything, wipe down surfaces with cleaners, etc., don't visit people who are infected, etc. - but at the same time, don't think you need to live in a bubble for the rest of your life. We've seen widespread panic over diseases before - SARS, Zika, avian flu, swine flu, West Nile, for example - but we've bounced back from it. I think this is escalating to worldwide panic levels because we're so much more in tune via social media than we were with the previous ones.

Is it serious? Yes. Should we be washing our hands and keeping clear of those infected? Yes. Am I going to live my life in a bubble? No.
I 100% agree! Yeah, take reasonable precautions, but wearing masks everywhere or isolating yourself - that’s going too far IMHO.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Epidemics come and go and this one shall also pass, but I see COVID-19 as a warning sign on a different level.

With china closing down its economy the production lines of the world are slowly grinding to a halt and the global economies are collapsing. Now, IF, a military conflict develops with China, in the future, they will obvious no longer trade with their perceived enemies and so the enemy economies will eventually collapse. This situation is caused by our so called "Free - Enterprise" economies!

If our economies used this shutdown in China to restart local manufacture and industries then we could come out of this CRISIS in a far stronger position both economically and militarily. The "Free-Market" economies would be in a better position to be able to reject trade and economic related pressures and also be better positioned to stand up for our interests and our national security.

For years the "Western" nations have been fighting global terrorism and allowing our national security to be undermined by stealth through trade and industry that works in the interest of maximising profit regardless of the cost to national security. Western countries need to wake up to the real danger shown by COVID-19 and not just the effects upon what is in reality a small minority.

The one thing not mentioned in the spread of the COVID-19 is that it seems to be more easily transmitted in air-conditioned environments as in cruise ships and air travel. So I will be avoiding public transport where possible and any other place where the air-conditioning is allowed to circulate the virus without restriction.

My other thought is that the politicians are not only travelling in air-conditioned comfort at our expense but they are also generally considered as being somewhat elderly. If the virus was less of a threat to the politicians would their response be the same?:unsure:.

Just my alternate viewpoint!

messyhead

I think the media have overhyped it, and made the public reaction to it much worse. My local supermarket said today was busier than Christmas with people buying supplies.

The flu every year kills people, and it's spread worldwide. For the majority of people that get covid, it'll be like bad flu. I've listened to reports from some people that have had it, and they said they felt crap for 4 or 5 days, then got over it. So same as flu.

All these events, sports, shutdowns are fuelled by public alarm due to overhyped media reports. I'm personally annoyed the F1 got cancelled, but that's small beans I suppose.

My only concern with it, is that it came out of nowhere, and there's no vaccine so far for it. If it had been some truly deadly disease, that killed anyone that got it, I'd be more worried.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Epidemics come and go and this one shall also pass, but I see COVID-19 as a warning sign on a different level.

With china closing down its economy the production lines of the world are slowly grinding to a halt and the global economies are collapsing. Now, IF, a military conflict develops with China, in the future, they will obvious no longer trade with their perceived enemies and so the enemy economies will eventually collapse. This situation is caused by our so called "Free - Enterprise" economies!

If our economies used this shutdown in China to restart local manufacture and industries then we could come out of this CRISIS in a far stronger position both economically and militarily. The "Free-Market" economies would be in a better position to be able to reject trade and economic related pressures and also be better positioned to stand up for our interests and our national security.

For years the "Western" nations have been fighting global terrorism and allowing our national security to be undermined by stealth through trade and industry that works in the interest of maximising profit regardless of the cost to national security. Western countries need to wake up to the real danger shown by COVID-19 and not just the effects upon what is in reality a small minority.

The one thing not mentioned in the spread of the COVID-19 is that it seems to be more easily transmitted in air-conditioned environments as in cruise ships and air travel. So I will be avoiding public transport where possible and any other place where the air-conditioning is allowed to circulate the virus without restriction.

My other thought is that the politicians are not only travelling in air-conditioned comfort at our expense but they are also generally considered as being somewhat elderly. If the virus was less of a threat to the politicians would their response be the same?:unsure:.

Just my alternate viewpoint!

I've been trying to put these same thoughts together and could not state it better.

LB