Votes: 28 45.2%
  • I'm divided on the issue....

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Not that I'm a prepper by any means, but those of us that live in the north country are used to the fact that a winter storm can leave you without power for weeks, we stay well stocked.

It is funny to watch others come to realize what the more prepared of us already know, that the supply lines are always the weak link and thus the first to break down... the running out of toilet paper was always a "SHTF" joke! 🤣 now here we are... lol

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Yes, it's serious.
Yes, the media/politics is overblown.
Influenza mortality rate is 0.2%.
COVID-19 mortality rate is 3.4%.
Other coronaviruses, SARS, 9.6%, and MERS, (2012) had a mortality rate of 34%.
If you're healthy, with no pre-existing health issues, you have a good chance of quick recovery, but increased age, and pre-existing conditions, decrease your chance of recovery.
My wife has health issues, and I take this very seriously when her health is concerned. She might not be able to survive it.
Don't panic. That's a sure sign of ignorance. Learn more and take precautions. There are many great sources of info.
This is a good place to start:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Bricks

Master member
My question is why is toilet paper one of the most sought after how much do these people really use, my mud room bathroom I use about one roll a month maybe. Water is another I drank from the sink since the beginning of my time why now is that such a big concern, .....what..... if it doesn`t come from a plastic bottle it is not good for you. I am sorry but I think people are getting more and more crazy.

Namactual

Elite member
It's just the sign of the times.

The sky has to be falling daily or there is nothing to talk about. The fact that the corona virus can tank a beer brand because it shares the same name speaks volumes about the state of intelligence of the general population these days.

Anyway, they just shut our school down tonight. Myself and the rest of the IT department are going to give the teachers a crash course in online lessons tomorrow just in case this turns out to be a long term thing.

I have been shaking my head so much today my neck is sore.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
My wife and I are both over 50. Our moms are in their 90s.

We are preparing to lose one or both this year as they are both social butterflies and will almost certainly catch this.

Both my wife and I will probably get sick. We are taking steps to ensure our wills are up to date. Neither of us are likely to die but why risk probate?

We live in snow country and March is the beginning of peak snow season. 90% chance of snow today. We have plenty in the freezer/pantry to last for weeks. We are stocking up on Gatorade and cold remedies to fight the symptoms so we can be comfortable while sick.

I plan to order out while I can. DoorDash has opened up 138 local restaurants to me via delivery. These are places that didn't deliver but now with DoorDash do deliver. DoorDash employs the people likely to be hardest hit, gig economy with no health insurance, and they deliver food in a plastic bag.

IMO delivery is the best option for local restaurants as the hospitality sector is going to be hit hard by this. Support your local restaurants while you can. They are going to need it.

I plan to put a table out for DoorDash to put the food on and pay everything via credit card so there is no personal interaction. This way they can keep working and our restaurants can keep cooking even though their dining rooms are empty. We will take precautions handling food bags and mail and Amazon deliveries, but IMO it is critical to keep those economies afloat during this time.

The biggest challenge will be to keep people from becoming desperate. The real issue won't be the virus. It will be breakdowns in society as government resources are wiped out. Slowing the virus down will help prevent jams at the hospitals. Keeping the economy working will prevent people from panicking over finances and help the police and local businesses prevent panic.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am over 50, as are my two older sisters. We are not worried about ouselves, but I helped move my Dad today who is 89. He has interstitial lung disease, which is an autoimmune disorder. He is highly vulnerable to bugs like Covid-19.

LB

Turbojoe

Elite member
I went to Walmart this morning for just some basic supplies. I haven't seen store shelves this barren since after a typhoon hit us on Guam in the mid 70's. No toilet paper. No paper towels. I mean the ENTIRE aisle empty! I got lucky and grabbed the last bottle of Pine Sol on the shelf. No hand sanitizer or any kind of disinfectant whatsoever anywhere to be found. Seeing people with multiples of food items that they'll never eat in a full year. The guy in front of me in the checkout lane with 30+ Coleman propane tanks. Hoarding is rampant. Meanwhile the rest of us can't get even basic items to help protect us like hand sanitizer and toilet paper. I hope these scumbags get beaten severely and robbed blind when they post Purell and other basic items for 5-10 times what it costs on eBay and all the other social media sites. :mad:

Joe

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I went to Walmart this morning for just some basic supplies. I haven't seen store shelves this barren since after a typhoon hit us on Guam in the mid 70's. No toilet paper. No paper towels. I mean the ENTIRE aisle empty! I got lucky and grabbed the last bottle of Pine Sol on the shelf. No hand sanitizer or any kind of disinfectant whatsoever anywhere to be found. Seeing people with multiples of food items that they'll never eat in a full year. The guy in front of me in the checkout lane with 30+ Coleman propane tanks. Hoarding is rampant. Meanwhile the rest of us can't get even basic items to help protect us like hand sanitizer and toilet paper. I hope these scumbags get beaten severely and robbed blind when they post Purell and other basic items for 5-10 times what it costs on eBay and all the other social media sites. :mad:

Joe
Yup, scary stuff. I’m really tired of this drama over corona... Let’s let life go on and be normal people! Normal people don’t sell toilet paper by the square in ebay, like cmon... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sero

Elite member
Is it serious business? IMO yes.
Is it over hyped by media? Yes!

While the mortality rate is low that is averaged out for all ages.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Next question is, what would of happened if we treated Coranavirus like the common flu? How many fatality's would there be then?
If myself or any of my immediate family members get it, we're not going near any of my parents, aunts, uncles or my wifes grandparents.