Coroplast Power Pod

jsut210

Expert Crash-Lander
I'm looking into building a SPAD plane for my Ryobi 31cc conversion and this brought up the use of the Coroplast building material. For those of you that don't know what that is it's basically 4mm thick corrugated plastic. Anyways, has anyone used this to make their powerpods? I seems to crash A LOT and the front ends of my powerpods are always getting mashed in. I was thinking that if I ran the Coroplast flutes lengthwise, I could get some decent rigidity. The plastic is probably a bit heavier than the foam board. However, I think the repairs I made to my mangled powerpods may equalize the difference :p.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it would be worth a shot. I know it's definitely stronger than the foamboard but if you use it for a powerpod, don't go hanging that Ryobi on it! :)

jsut210

Expert Crash-Lander
I think it would be worth a shot. I know it's definitely stronger than the foamboard but if you use it for a powerpod, don't go hanging that Ryobi on it! :)
Haha yea that's never going to happen. I forgot to mention that my tabs and holes would always wear out as well. Well, I guess I'm off to Home Depot!

skeplin

I built a powerpod out of coroplast and it ended up about 3 times heavier than foam core. I do use it for my firewalls though. Works great and survives crashes.

DDSFlyer

Another foam board that you can use that's a little thicker is the Elmer's foam board from Michael's. I made the FT Cruiser fully out of this stuff as my first build, before I knew any better and it's definitely stronger, a little heavier, but more durable than DTFB