Correct A pack radial prop??? Mighty Minis

tcalico

The newer Radial A Pack motor came with a nice spinner nut and a short motor shaft. I bought a bunch of HQ 6x4.6 props, but they are all too thick with about a 9 mm hub, so the nut barely threads onto the shaft. Are APC 6x3 props thinner at the hub? I happen to have some triblade Gemfan 6045BN which have 7.5 mm hub to fit the A radial motor now, but what 2 blade props are suppose to fit this motor? Can the hub be safely "milled" down fit the motor? Application will be Mighty Minis and the Commuter.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
Use collars to make the APC’s fit. The 3 blades will possibly overload the ESC and will be much less efficient.
If the hole in the prop is too small there‘s a tool called a Prop Reamer that is designed to cut it bigger.

tcalico

Use collars to make the APC’s fit. The 3 blades will possibly overload the ESC and will be much less efficient.
If the hole in the prop is too small there‘s a tool called a Prop Reamer that is designed to cut it bigger.
The hole in the hub is not the problem, all my props go on flush to motor. There is not enough thread left on the motor shaft to tighten the spinner nut with the HQ 6x4's. Thank you for the caution on the excessive current draw with the 3 blade prop, I'm only running a 12amp ESC and never thought about the current required.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
The newer Radial A Pack motor came with a nice spinner nut and a short motor shaft. I bought a bunch of HQ 6x4.6 props, but they are all too thick with about a 9 mm hub, so the nut barely threads onto the shaft. Are APC 6x3 props thinner at the hub? I happen to have some triblade Gemfan 6045BN which have 7.5 mm hub to fit the A radial motor now, but what 2 blade props are suppose to fit this motor? Can the hub be safely "milled" down fit the motor? Application will be Mighty Minis and the Commuter.
The 6045 triblades are too much. HQ 6x3s will work but I'd highly recommend getting some 5 inch 3 blades, with pitch somewhere in the range of 3-4.5. I only run triblades on my minis because there so tough. The biblade hq's break very easy. Here is a link to some of the props I have, they work very well.

FDS

Elite member
Just put a couple of washers behind the prop. Spare thin collars might work too. I prefer the grey APC fixed wing bi blade props for my aircraft.

Morgajus

Just so I understand: the hub on the 2-blade prop is too long (deep) to fit on the motor shaft?

Did you end up figuring it out?

If not, do you have a mill or drill press? I imagine if you are super precise with the centering and careful to only take off what you need, you can take off a millimeter or so from the inside of the ring on that black prop. Since its plastic, make sure you are using high rpms and low speed advancing with an flat-nosed endmill (some lubrication could help keep melting to a minimum but will cause the chips to stick around.)