Corroplast Kraken

kilroy07

Legendary member
Awesome job! Sorry I missed this at FF!

Like my Kraken's eyes? Anybody ever have a bat kit as a kid? Whaky Kraky sounds fun! Psyched for FF19!
I LOVE THEM! and yes, I spent my childhood during the Pscho 70s! :ROFLMAO:
(although even as a kid the bloodshot eyes creaped me out a bit.)

In the end I met a charming teen named Aiden in my build tent who wrestled my Spectrum 7 to the floor and successfully got the variable set up installed.
THIS is why I love the Flite Test community!
Last year it was Eddie Black helping me with my Mustang!... You just can't put a price on experiences like that!

Next year we'll have to schedule a meetup and fly!

Tim

rcgreaves

So the holidays are upon me and with it a couple of weeks r and r to build and fly. I ordered a couple 4s packs to try in my "Whaky Kraky" Question:

My understanding is that the max voltage for a BEC on my ESC is 3s 11.7V. I note that the C pack radialkit from FT I installed in my wing has motors wound to take 4s. Does anyone know for certain whether a 4s spec on these FT power packs means I can plug my radio into it or should I be powering the radio with a seperate RX battery 3s as per usual?

rcgreaves

Time to go 4s over the 2019 Christmas holiday. Forgot I already installed an RX battery pack so my concerns with powering the radio on 4s BEC are for naught. I have accumulated a stack of little AAA powered LED flashlights. Im thinking of adding some cool space alien lighting effects.

PBernett

I have build many planes with coroplast. I flew them about 10 years ago. I built small ones and large ones with 64cc chain saw engines. I learned many tricks on how to build them as light as possible. They were all gas engines. I am getting back to flying and trying to go electric. I am building with foam board and keep trying to use coroplast but I can't make the planes as light as the foam board. 2mm coroplast works great for airfoils as long as the flute goes in the wing cord direction. I have found that you don't need to heat or wipe down coroplast to get it to bind. Wellwood contact cement works great. I would clamp the wing after gluing it and leave it overnight and I never had a joint fail. Goop and gorilla glue also work very well with coroplast. I think it is a great material to use for strengthening areas on planes. My planes were virtually indestructible. I crashed many of them straight into the ground and literally dug out the engine, cleaned it off, and then flew the plane immediately after the crash. I added pictures of my scratch build CoroPitts. I had a 48" wingspan and a 25cc weedwacker engine. It wasn't an easy plane to fly and I eventually crashed it. I also added pictures of some of the wings I built with 2mm coroplast. It was nice to see someone else using coroplast. Good luck with your builds.

Attachments

• CoroPitts2.jpg
    CoroPitts2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CoroPitts4.jpg
    CoroPitts4.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CoroPitts3.jpg
    CoroPitts3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • coroplast wings.jpg
    coroplast wings.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Coro wing tip 2.JPG
    Coro wing tip 2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • Coro wing tip 1.JPG
    Coro wing tip 1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

rcgreaves

I have build many planes with coroplast. I flew them about 10 years ago. I built small ones and large ones with 64cc chain saw engines. I learned many tricks on how to build them as light as possible. They were all gas engines. I am getting back to flying and trying to go electric. I am building with foam board and keep trying to use coroplast but I can't make the planes as light as the foam board. 2mm coroplast works great for airfoils as long as the flute goes in the wing cord direction. I have found that you don't need to heat or wipe down coroplast to get it to bind. Wellwood contact cement works great. I would clamp the wing after gluing it and leave it overnight and I never had a joint fail. Goop and gorilla glue also work very well with coroplast. I think it is a great material to use for strengthening areas on planes. My planes were virtually indestructible. I crashed many of them straight into the ground and literally dug out the engine, cleaned it off, and then flew the plane immediately after the crash. I added pictures of my scratch build CoroPitts. I had a 48" wingspan and a 25cc weedwacker engine. It wasn't an easy plane to fly and I eventually crashed it. I also added pictures of some of the wings I built with 2mm coroplast. It was nice to see someone else using coroplast. Good luck with your builds.
PB: Hi and thanks for the interesting reply. Sounds as we have plenty in common corroplast wise... Just this past weekend I started planning combat builds for FF 2020. I’ll attach an image of a very familiar corroplast combat ship I plan to electrify.
My flying buddy repeatedly states concerning airframes “ light is right” and especially with corroplast you can bank on needing extra watts to fly what would float in balsa or foam core. My Krakken on 4s is excellent but in slow flight, not so much. A radio problem that swore me off DSM2 technology at Christmas put my Krakken near vertically into a corn field. The power pods in foam core are shattered but the wing was eerily resilient as I’d hoped and you already understand. I plan to grow my combat wings lowering wing loading and hopefully make generous use of 2mm in my upcoming builds. Keep me posted!

Attachments

• AD8F683B-1AD5-42C0-A1CD-9E06BFD78803.jpeg
    AD8F683B-1AD5-42C0-A1CD-9E06BFD78803.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Keep us informed if there was a way tokeep Coro planes lighter it would be the best stuff to use, especially for combat. If you like having to fly fast it is the ticket

PBernett

Is your Krakken using 2mm coro for the wings? I think you could make your fuselage lighter. I was using 2mm on my fusalages with pink foam for reinforcement. The combat I used to watch was with size .15 motors. I was thinking about getting into that but never did. It was fun to watch. I loaded some pictures of my best design. This has a .28 motor and had unlimited vertical. It flew like it was on rails and I never had a radio with expo. I could fly this plane in 30mph winds with no problem The front of the plane used two layers of 2mm coro. The one picture shows that. I would mount my plywood fire wall in front of the interior 2mm coro and then use the triangular pieces to reinforce the front and wrap around the firewall. I would screw through the coroplast into the plywood. I used blue foam for the interior but you could reduce the amount of blue foam to reduce weight. The tail feathers were 4mm coro. The plane as a 46" wing with 11" in the middle and 7" at the wing tip. The fuselage is 30" long. Contact cement works great on coro. I hope this gives you some ideas on how to lighten up your builds.

Attachments

• Coro 1.jpg
    Coro 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Coro 2.jpg
    Coro 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Coro 3.jpg
    Coro 3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Coro 4.jpg
    Coro 4.jpg