Corsair Master Series First Steps

mfabricius

All,

we recently bought a Corsair Master Series from a local retail store here in Germany and immediately became huge fans of FT scratch builds. This was out first self build model (and second rc plane ever) we flew ... and it flew! And ... it crashed. The latter was mostly my stupidity, after three loopings I dared to try a roll and failed spectacularly. It was a very nervous plane to fly though as far as I can tell. I think the elevator had too much throw (did not adjust using any gauges) and it probably was still a tad tail heavy (only used a 3 cell instead of the recommended 4 cell. So no complaining here at all, this is just our learning experience.

But I wanted to share a couple of thoughts though:
There is one point in the build video where a transition from a paper covered to a non-paper covered section of the wing surface gets stiffened up with the application of hot glue. It is in the video at 12:50 (and similar at other places). I did this and ended up adding a slight crease to the wing which looked good but prevented me from matching the upper wing surfaces together later on. It's good to put the part on a flat table for drying.

Also, after glueing in the servos for rudder and elevator I found that one ripped off rather quickly. I added (much) more glue then and it survived the maiden flight (it did stay in place during that cash), but I still felt uncomfortable. Also you could see how the fuselage wall was bending as the servos
moved. I decided to print servo holders. You can screw in the servos and the holder offers a much larger glueing area.

Also as we did not fly the power pack c (difficult to get here in Germany) I printed a different firewall.

Let me know if anyone it interested in the STLs.

Max
IMG_6764.jpg

Fujimo

That’s awesome!
Any pics of the build!
This one is on my to build list.
For sure I would be I retreated in the stl files.
Many thanks

Rhaps

Elite member
All,

we recently bought a Corsair Master Series from a local retail store here in Germany and immediately became huge fans of FT scratch builds. This was out first self build model (and second rc plane ever) we flew ... and it flew! And ... it crashed. The latter was mostly my stupidity, after three loopings I dared to try a roll and failed spectacularly. It was a very nervous plane to fly though as far as I can tell. I think the elevator had too much throw (did not adjust using any gauges) and it probably was still a tad tail heavy (only used a 3 cell instead of the recommended 4 cell. So no complaining here at all, this is just our learning experience.

There is one point in the build video where a transition from a paper covered to a non-paper covered section of the wing surface gets stiffened up with the application of hot glue. It is in the video at 12:50 (and similar at other places). I did this and ended up adding a slight crease to the wing which looked good but prevented me from matching the upper wing surfaces together later on. It's good to put the part on a flat table for drying.

Also, after glueing in the servos for rudder and elevator I found that one ripped off rather quickly. I added (much) more glue then and it survived the maiden flight (it did stay in place during that cash), but I still felt uncomfortable. Also you could see how the fuselage wall was bending as the servos
moved. I decided to print servo holders. You can screw in the servos and the holder offers a much larger glueing area.

Also as we did not fly the power pack c (difficult to get here in Germany) I printed a different firewall.

Max
View attachment 199147

The part where he he makes the score cut and then glues it back seems bit silly indeed.
I suspect it's because he only wants to cut the paper but adjusting laser so that it cuts onluy the paper may not be so easy and kits may end with deep cuts resulting weak spot in the score cut.
Thus to be on safe side he uses glue but for that he needs to open the seam :)

For those who don't have fancy 3d printers (grumble grumble) you can also just use cut a piece of foam to strenghten servo placement.
Here is a picture from my Corsair
1619506223614.png

mfabricius

Very gladly :)

This build was a very rewarding experience, took us about one and a half days (though I would recommend to spread it out over two).

I printed the STLs on a resin printer, if you use PLA you might want to increase the size of the servo holder by a few percent to make sure they fit.

The zip also continues a video of the flight (and crash).

Max

Attachments

• IMG_6600.jpg
    IMG_6600.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6764.jpg
    IMG_6764.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • firewall v2.stl
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • servo_holder.stl
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • output.mp4.zip
    17.9 MB · Views: 0

mfabricius

The part where he he makes the score cut and then glues it back seems bit silly indeed.
I suspect it's because he only wants to cut the paper but adjusting laser so that it cuts onluy the paper may not be so easy and kits may end with deep cuts resulting weak spot in the score cut.
Thus to be on safe side he uses glue but for that he needs to open the seam :)

For those who don't have fancy 3d printers (grumble grumble) you can also just use cut a piece of foam to strenghten servo placement.
Here is a picture from my Corsair
View attachment 199159

Indeed! With a printer it home its just too tempting....you know the: "OH-here-is-another-thing-that-I-could-print" .... rather than being pragmatic. I like the foam solution! :)

Bigeard

All,

Max
View attachment 199147
Hi Max , can you tell me is that 2mm plywood you used to glue the servers to ? I assume this does not affect the weight too much for flying ?
Thanks
M