Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

corsairmustangmini-1-png_1449619372.jpg

Today we see how crazy we can get with a single piece of simple foam board. The goal was to use every square inch of our building material to make a fun plane to fly, build, and crash! Then we thought, let’s make some one-sheet warbirds!

CORSAIR

corsairmustangmini-4-png_1449619404.jpg

Peter designed the FT Mighty Mini Corsair. It is the first round fuselage design Flite Test has ever done! This little warbird park flyer is the perfect size to always keep with you in the back seat of your car and is small enough to fly at most medium sized parks. Though this little Corsair doesn't have the 2,000 HP Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine that the original full-scale warbird had, it does use a 2204 sized brushless motor that is commonly found on mini race quads. This gives this little 4 channel plane enough power to climb vertically endlessly and pull off most basic aerobatic maneuvers with ease.

SPECS

WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 5.5 oz (156 g)
CENTER OF GRAVITY: 1 inch (25 mm) from leading edge of wing
CONTROL SURFACE THROWS: 12 ˚ deflection (elevator/aileron/rudder) Expo 30%
WINGSPAN: 24 inches (609 mm)
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: 2200 kv 2204 size motor
RECOMMENDED PROP: 6 x 4.5 prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 12 amp minimum
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 800 mAH 2s or 3s
RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (4) 5 gram servos

corsairmustangmini-3-png_1449619391.jpg

The Mighty Mini Corsair relies heavily on the use of poster board. This may seem complicated, but it is not! The internal foam board former makes building both quick and easy. It even makes a battery hatch possible. The final result is a simple little plane that is heavy on detail and features, but light and nimble in the air.

MUSTANG

corsairmustangmini-24-png_1449619616.jpg

The P-51 is definitely one of the most iconic airplanes of all time and this one sheet foam board airplane kit is a great way to experience the great flight characteristics of this icon. Using 4 channels, and the power of a 2204 size brushless motor the Mini Mustang has more than enough power for endless vertical climb, and most basic aerobatic maneuvers such as knife edge. With it's wide flight envelope, this little Mustang can fly slow enough to easily be flown at a decent sized park.

SPECS

WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 5.5 oz (156 g)
CENTER OF GRAVITY: 1 inch (25 mm) from leading edge of wing
CONTROL SURFACE THROWS: 12 ˚ deflection (elevator/aileron/rudder) Expo 30%
WINGSPAN: 24.5 inches (622 mm)
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: 2200 kv 2204 size motor
RECOMMENDED PROP: 6 x 4.5 prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 12 amp minimum
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 800 mAH 2s or 3s
RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (4) 5 gram servos

corsairmustangmini-6-png_1449619426.jpg

The Mighty mini mustang carries the same fun flight characteristics as its larger FT Swappable brother. We took what we learned from the larger design and applied it to the mini. The Mighty Mini P-51 features a rigid hatch that gives access to the servos, battery bay, and all the electronics. Both the Corsair and the Mustang fly great on a 2204 2300kv motor. This motor is available in our F Power Pack, or can be purchased separately. It's the same motor used in many race quadcopters flown today.

corsairmustangmini-10-png_1449619456.jpg

The speed and characteristics of the Mustang and the corsair can be changed by simply changing the cell count of the battery. A 2 cell battery yields 8.4 volts and makes for a fun and relaxing back yard flyer. A 3 cell setup will give vertical capabilities and bring speeds up to 54 mph (87 km/h). Install a 4 cell and you can expect to hit above 64 mph (103 km/h). That is, if the wind is in your favor! Be sure to match the proper prop with your battery choice. As the cell count goes up, your prop diameter goes down.

corsairmustangmini-13-png_1449619495.jpg

Peter decided to go big on cell count and small on wings. The final result was more useful as a gardening tool.

corsairmustangmini-15-png_1449619519.jpg

So Peter went back to his roots! Two big rocket motors and a fuse… Check!!!!

corsairmustangmini-17-png_1449619545.jpg

With about five seconds of fuse and our health insurance paid up, we lit and launched Peter's Rocket Corsair

corsairmustangmini-18-png_1449619557.jpg

The sound and the sight where very exciting! But the top speed will never be known. At least we were able to find the wreckage and also test the strength of the wing. Although you may not put rockets on it, we hope you will find tons of enjoyment building and flying these fun little warbirds. Remember. Planes are better when they fly together. And so are people!

corsairmustangmini-8-png_1449619434.jpg

Be on the lookout for FREE plans and build videos coming later this week!
If you'd like to cut down on your build time, Speed Build Kits for both the FT Might Mini Corsair and FT Might Mini Mustang are available now!

mad_milchmann

Looking forward to the build. I wonder if my MT1806 2280kv will be enough for this.

I guess it should be enough to keep it in the air, but it won't be very fast. I'll try it with a DYS 1806 2300kv, too for a start. But I also have a Funfighter motor lying around, that i bought for nerd nic's sonic series. I guess, that'll make it a seriously fast plane.
If you want to go fast, have a look at the funfighter Motor, they're quite cheap but according to nerd nic's videos are capable of accelerating those small planes to about 100mph. :cool:

dgrigor02

Looking forward to the build. I wonder if my MT1806 2280kv will be enough for this.

I've done the 24" wingspan ( 60%) spitfire with 1804, 5X4 prop and 3S 500mah battery and was fun to fly. Plenty zippy enough for small park. Even though less power you will have less weight which well help some to compensate. Just so long as you can still balance it with the smaller motor and battery is my only concern. I can't imagine this to be much heavier plane so I'd expect it to still be fine.

It should be. You can swing a 6x4.5 Gemfan on 3s for sure.

If you want to upgrade, get the newly stocked 2204 2300kV (now available separately, without the rest of the Power Pack) as well as a 20A ESC. That's right: 20A.

You'll be able to swing a 6x4.5 HQ prop (more stiff, more power) on a higher kV motor at a larger voltage (4s, like in the episode).

Have fun!

dgrigor02

I'm going to jump right in and do 130% of the mini corsair to get it around the 800mm wingspan size to go with my other 800mm warbirds collection. I have several park 400 sized motors sitting around.

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
based on my experience with the baby baron and TT I can't see how an 1806 with a 3s battery wouldn't be just about perfect on these planes. Use a 5-6" 4.5 pitch prop (maybe even a 3 blade) and it should be very nice.

Ron DuBray

I will keep an eye out for the plans to be posted. ONE big wish PLEASE please please! design Japanese and German planes the same size for streamer combat. This would make these the full line to make a game of it, no one seams to do this. need to have both sides of the fight. This would make them 100 times cooler.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Looking forward to the Mustang plans, had a ParkZone UMX P-51D for my first RC plane and loved it, till i crashed it beyond repair. This looks like a fun little build. And for $1!

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Peter's Round engine design opens up all kinds of possibilities. An A6n Zero. T-6 Teaxan, Fokke-Wolf FW190, the mind boggles!

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
just fyi guys corsair plans are up in sponz plans index. Just in case anybody wanting to build it missed it and the mustang will be out Fri he said. Again just fyi

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Two of my favorite planes! Bought both kits today but I might not be able to wait. Think I'm going to design some pre-printed replacement paper and cardstock for both the Corsair and Mustang.