Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Dude! Still working on mine but that looks awesome! Well done!

Zero9r

Got mine mostly built. Used Adams Black foamboard. This stuff sucked compared to the normal White board. It delaminates like crazy. After lots of extra glue its pt together. Just waiting on Servos and another RX. I have 9g servos coming as at the time all 5g where sold out. Hope it flies with all the extra weight.

20160215_213612.jpg

mudman1959

Finished and Flying

Finished and Flying... My modified FT Mini P-51 with the bottom half and wing and tail being FT and the top half what was leftover from a retired GWS Free Flight P-51. The motor is a 2400 kva Racing motor for a multi rotor from RC Timer turning a 6x4 prop powered by a 850mah 3 cell lipo. It is fast! The RX is a HK 6 channel with stabilization built in... and it works. Video soon when the weather will allow it... Mudman1959

12962501_10206596518936267_1747117748_o.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The Corsair has long been a favorite of mine so this build has been long overdue. After my initial build with this mini I would like to go bigger, like 200%.

I lke the cowling suggestion. What has everyone been using for props? 2, 3, or 4 blades?

sonntag3

LOVE War Birds...here are a few

I love to fly Warbirds and these little guys are FUN!!

mini corsair side  view.jpg 20160417_073805.jpg

Thank you Flite Test for ALL you do!!

Attachments

• mini mustang.jpg
    mini mustang.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5

Liv2ride

Heres my take on the mini corsair ! Maidened it this morning, flew quite nice very little trimming to do . image.jpg

Liv2ride

. Maiden flight of the mighty mini mustang
Motor: 1806 2300kv , 6x4.5 prop , 15 amp esc, 850mah 3s battery

Last edited:

david_isr

update - i used a very small right thrust angle on the firewall, the plane is taking a hard left and down right after i hand launch it , is it because the thrust angle ? (im using 8x3.8 prop)

DharanFlyer

Finishing my setup for the Corsair. I am using a DX6i and wanted to do the flaperon programming to save space and weight.

Anyone have good instructions for setting that up in the Tx? Did a few searches but didn't find anything very clear on YouTube or RCGroups.

Thanks!

upbeat

Josh mentions in the build video that the powerpod has to be shaved down a bit for the right thrust angle. Can anyone help with telling me how many mm should be taken off at the back? I assume it is still meant to be a straight line from the front of the pod to the back so it sits flush against the top sheet of foam just that the angle of that line is not meant to be at right angle to the firewall?

Thanks for the help. Love the planes and plans

Josh mentions in the build video that…

Hello and welcome! I love this little airplane and I've built three, all from scratch. The power pod on the plans doesent need any additional tweaks. I have taken some off the back so it's easier to get a battery in but for the front and the top of the pod I've just followed the plans . All these minis require enough thrust angle to make your airplane look like a guy with a broken nose, but they fly straight.
Mine is set up for FPV. Seriously, I freekin love this thing.
https://instagram.com/p/BO4eWX0hTGc/

upbeat

Hello and welcome! I love this little airplane and I've built three, all from scratch. The power pod on the plans doesent need any additional tweaks. I have taken some off the back so it's easier to get a battery in but for the front and the top of the pod I've just followed the plans . All these minis require enough thrust angle to make your airplane look like a guy with a broken nose, but they fly straight.
Mine is set up for FPV. Seriously, I freekin love this thing.

So you don't adjust the top of the power pod at all? If I want to take some off like Josh does in the build video, should I take it off without changing the down/up angle then? I am worried about getting that angle wrong if I start messing with the powerpod.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
So you don't adjust the top of the power pod at all? If I want to take some off like Josh does in the build video, should I take it off without changing the down/up angle then? I am worried about getting that angle wrong if I start messing with the powerpod.

The front of the power pod has the angle designed right in it and the firewall glues on. That's it. If you want to shave the back end that won't effect the thrust angle. The power pod does have a distinct front end and a back end. They are NOT the same.

upbeat

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 2.50.19 PM.png

I understand that, my question is best understood from the side view: Sorry but it's difficult to bring across without a diagram (The propeller being on the left).
I understand that the offset is on purpose, my question is is the shaving off the power pod that Josh speaks about like the red line (the video looks like it is) or a version of the green line?