Help! Could you please reccomend fairly cheap, but not crap lipo charger.

Juice

You might be able to find some good info in this thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/time-for-a-“big-boy”-charger-i-guess.66039/
I personally use the venom pro duo, but it's probably more expensive than you're looking for. I've heard good things about the hobbyking chargers as well - @SquirrelTail uses them so he might be able to give some you information on them.
Is balance connector XH same as JST- XH connector. Or are they different?

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I would go with this. I have it and have never had issues with it. Probably not great on budget but a well worth purchase. It really depends on how much cheap is to you. WARNING! If you do want this you can get rip offs which can mess round with battery balancing and FIRE! So be sure to get the genuine one. If you really want to go budget then I'm probably the wrong person to be asking.
Hope this helps!

SkyRC IMAX B6AC V2

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have a hitec rdx1 pro. It is like 50 USD so maybe not the cheapest but it does the job and it's good at it too. The only flaw I can think of is that it only charges 1 battery at a time, so that is something to consider.

leaded50

Legendary member
my choice , after changed out the old IMAX, and very satisfied. You can only charge one baattery at time though, but are versions for two also. Superb charger in close to 6 month use now. https://usa.banggood.com/HTRC-C150-...ery-p-1578129.html?cur_warehouse=USA&ID=47757

charger.png

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 for the IMAX B6.

I own several of them. I buy the cheapest ones I can find. They are likely the knock offs. They have work well for me.

If your batteries are larger than 6S or 5000mah, then get a more powerful charger.

OliverW

Legendary member
You might be able to find some good info in this thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/time-for-a-“big-boy”-charger-i-guess.66039/
I personally use the venom pro duo, but it's probably more expensive than you're looking for. I've heard good things about the hobbyking chargers as well - @SquirrelTail uses them so he might be able to give some you information on them.
My hobbyking chargers had lots of issues. I'm using ISDT ones and love them!

Flite Risk

Hello my friend, my position is, if you plan on being in this hobby for any amount of time like I am its is probably a better use
of money to save and get a charger like the ones discussed in the previously mentioned thread.
I am glad I waited and saved for a solid charger.

best of luck to you in your quest for the right charger.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
+1 for the IMAX B6.

I own several of them. I buy the cheapest ones I can find. They are likely the knock offs. They have work well for me.

If your batteries are larger than 6S or 5000mah, then get a more powerful charger.
Have you ever had cell balancing issues?

RichardBH

I just started in RC, and I bought one of these ISDT Q6 nano chargers. Its great for small packs, or if you want a cheap charger to get started, and then becomes a great field charger if you get a larger multi battery charger later.
My only gripe with it is that the button is sometimes hard to push in the centre, apart from that it is great. If you wanted something bigger they have the Q8. For under 30 bucks its hard to beat budget wise.

https://oscarliang.com/isdt-q6-nano/
ISDT Q6 Nano Banggood

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Have you ever had cell balancing issues?
No, none that were caused by the charger.
I balance my packs nearly every charge, I have had individual pins of a balance plug not make contact or a broken balance lead wire inside the pack. Sometimes this will causes a cell count error. Sometimes it gives erroneous cell readings, like 0.0 - 7.0 - 3.5. I’ve learned I need to check what the charger reads each cell every time. These types of problems could happen with any charger.

I have owned expensive charges and cheap ones. I’ve not noticed much of any difference in them. They will all go bad for no reason. The IMAX is cheap enough that I don’t feel bad about keeping a spare on hand. WHEN one goes bad, I swap it out and buy another, then it’s not a problem to wait for the slow boat from China to arrive.

Last edited:

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DV5PSD8/?tag=lstir-20
I think it's a clone of what @flyingkelpie recommended, for about the same price. Anyway, I needed to buy a different cord so it could charge XT-30 plugs, but other than that it worked well right out of the box.
Looks good. I would prefer that to a copy as its by a brand versus being branded unbranded like the other ones. I haven't actually had experience with a fake one of mine its just a friend came around with his RC Axiall monster truck and then wanted to charge his Lipo. When he heard what it was he wanted it to be genuine or he wouldn't trust it. I've also heard different articles about it. It might be true it might not.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have a hitec rdx1 pro. It is like 50 USD so maybe not the cheapest but it does the job and it's good at it too. The only flaw I can think of is that it only charges 1 battery at a time, so that is something to consider.

They’ve actually remedied that and came out with an RDX2 mini, for $79.99 US. Allows you to charge 2 batteries at once, different chemistries (ie lipo and NIMH, or lipo and Lithium Ion). The biggest disadvantage of it, though, it it’s only an AC charger and won’t allow you to charge DC. Not a huge problem for most, but if you’re like me and your field has a solar charging station that runs off of DC power, you’ll need a separate charger, like the aforementioned RDX1 or X2 AC if you want to stay Hitec (which are rock solid AC/DC chargers; you don’t need an additional AC power supply like you do with the IMAX B6 units because it’s all built in).

I’ve seen the ISDT chargers becoming popular in the more high end charging systems (guys will be using them with high watt power supplies and doing some parallel connections out to multiple ISDT chargers to speed up larger 4S and 6S battery packs), but for the average joe pilot, you’ll likely not be needing quite that much. That’s not to say I hate them; quite the opposite. But, the ISDT chargers don’t come with AC power supplies (at least, not the ones I looked at) so you would be spending additional $$$ or jury rig an old power supply to be able to charge off of AC power.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DV5PSD8/?tag=lstir-20
I think it's a clone of what @flyingkelpie recommended, for about the same price. Anyway, I needed to buy a different cord so it could charge XT-30 plugs, but other than that it worked well right out of the box.

Man...I would replace the DC alligator clips almost immediately so someone a little larger. If you do any charging off of a car battery (which is what I’ve seen a lot of guys do for portability out in the field) those alligator clips won’t connect to the car battery terminals.

jack10525

I would go with this. I have it and have never had issues with it. Probably not great on budget but a well worth purchase. It really depends on how much cheap is to you. WARNING! If you do want this you can get rip offs which can mess round with battery balancing and FIRE! So be sure to get the genuine one. If you really want to go budget then I'm probably the wrong person to be asking.
Hope this helps!

SkyRC IMAX B6AC V2

I've been using something like this for about 4 years now. It works great but does not have the ac adapter integrated. I would try to find one that is built in. This hobby is not the cheapest but I do my best.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722NGPBS/?tag=lstir-20