Counter, no Contra rotating electric motor system challenge. (I hope I spelled it right ;)

leaded50

Legendary member
What is the scale of that airframe? Is it also a faom board build? I like the looks of that motor/ prop setup. Guessing it runs 2 ESC
Its a foamboard build yes. Length approx 950mm, wingspan 700mm. total weight with battery, el.retracts, eg. , 850 - 900g , Thrust on the contrasystem is 1420g on a 3s.
Can push voltage to 12.5 max recommended from seller( then get 1700g thrust).... they said motors aint for 4s.

(link to build: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/payen-mitsubishi-pa400.64285/ )

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Vapepool
I too came across the MB 5 some 50 years ago and was highly impressed by its design features. At the time it well suited my requirements for a scale indoor electric round the pole control line as it had 'lots of prop' and a relatively short wing span.
MB5frontS.jpg

Just 20" (510 mm) span but with a prop that is 1/3 of that span and 3 blade contra rotating too!
Long before the days of brushless motors it used a pair of geared 'slot car' motors to drive the contra rotating shafts.
MB5motor.jpg

It flew pretty well but with a basically hollow balsa body that acted like a sounding board the gear whine made it sound like more like a turbo prop than a Griffon.
After the war with no interest in piston engine fighters or desire to save such things for museums the one and only MB5 ended its days as a target on a gunnery range.
Unlike mine which I still have.:)

Vapepool

Vapepool
I too came across the MB 5 some 50 years ago and was highly impressed by its design features. At the time it well suited my requirements for a scale indoor electric round the pole control line as it had 'lots of prop' and a relatively short wing span.
View attachment 179675
Just 20" (510 mm) span but with a prop that is 1/3 of that span and 3 blade contra rotating too!
Long before the days of brushless motors it used a pair of geared 'slot car' motors to drive the contra rotating shafts.
View attachment 179676
It flew pretty well but with a basically hollow balsa body that acted like a sounding board the gear whine made it sound like more like a turbo prop than a Griffon.
After the war with no interest in piston engine fighters or desire to save such things for museums the one and only MB5 ended its days as a target on a gunnery range.
Unlike mine which I still have.:)
I bet that sounds fantastic.