Help! covering a model with tissue

Quinlan Sauter

I keep having problems with the tissue "sagging." I put the tissue on and shrunk it with water and everythings drum tight but when I come back 15 minutes later and its lose again. is there any way to stop this happening?

TooJung2Die

Master member
I had the same problem with poor quality tissue. It came with a kit so I assumed it would be suitable for covering. Wrong. It sagged just from humidity in the air. I tried another tissue and it shrank and stayed tight. The good tissue came from inside a gift box. It had a shiny side and a dull side. It also had a barely visible watermark of parallel lines. The poor tissue had a course fibers and dull surface on both sides.

Monte is correct. Doping tissue will shrink it more and make it resistant to humidity. I found Krylon Crystal Clear aerosol spray has the same effect as dope and is easier to apply. I don't use dope anymore.

Phin G

Elite member
I had the same problem with poor quality tissue. It came with a kit so I assumed it would be suitable for covering. Wrong. It sagged just from humidity in the air. I tried another tissue and it shrank and stayed tight. The good tissue came from inside a gift box. It had a shiny side and a dull side. It also had a barely visible watermark of parallel lines. The poor tissue had a course fibers and dull surface on both sides.

Monte is correct. Doping tissue will shrink it more and make it resistant to humidity. I found Krylon Crystal Clear aerosol spray has the same effect as dope and is easier to apply. I don't use dope anymore.
To be truthfully honest i just use newspaper and then use the spray as it is cheaper than buying hobby tissue paper

Bricks

Master member
To be truthfully honest i just use newspaper and then use the spray as it is cheaper than buying hobby tissue paper

Your saying that on an open structure newsprint will work and shrink like tissue, I have used news print on solid parts but never on open structure. Maybe I learned something today.

Phin G

Elite member
Your saying that on an open structure newsprint will work and shrink like tissue, I have used news print on solid parts but never on open structure. Maybe I learned something today.
It has worked for me. Just a money saving equivalent

TooJung2Die

Master member
The test I use to judge the quality of tissue is to spray water on it and pull it apart to check the wet strength. If it falls apart like toilet tissue, find something better. I've had good results with tissue from the dollar store in the gift wrap section and poor results with old tissue in model airplane kits.

Tissue covering the One Nite 28 was my first tissue cover job in many years. It was a long re-learning curve. I stripped and recovered most of the airplane several times until I had the right tissue and was satisfied with the results. Now I enjoy tissue. You can't beat it for looks. You might want to check out the 1938 Twin Cyclone tissue covering too.

Piotrsko

Master member
The asian tissue from arts and crafty places is proper tissue from long ago, plus it comes in hundreds of colors. Can't get dope? Use lacquer or shellac, both shrink as they dry, acrylic and polyurethane don't.
I like the get it wet trick. Thanks

CthulhuJon

easybuiltmodels has some nice tissue, both their own cheaper brand, and the light and strong Japanese Fuji tissue ( but expensive )
They come in some really nice colors, but the shipping cost is expensive. IF you find the Fuji tissue somewhere else, post it here ! as that tissue is super nice, and much lighter than the heat-shrink coverings.
Once you get the hang of it, you can cover a model fairly quickly.
note :- make sure you get the tissue grain going in the right direction... tissue grain along the length of the wing