Coverlite and other Dopey things on DTFB

PoorManRC

Master member
My first official "Dumb N00B question"?? :p:eek:

I've heard these can be Painted. That Minwax makes a great barrier coating...

But has anyone ever tried using Coverlite, Coverite, or however???
It seems like it would stretch over the Foam Board nicely, especially the Wings. It looks GREAT, and I think it would nearly stop the shredding and delaminating...
Plus make it more waterproof.

SURE it would add some weight, but a clever person could power up accordingly.

NEXT: How about using Dope on the DTFB paper coating? It makes Tissue Paper taut, and more durable and Paintable.

My apologies if this is old news. I haven't read anything about it, and the Engineer in me just can't stop thinking! :p

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My first official "Dumb N00B question"?? :p:eek:

I've heard these can be Painted. That Minwax makes a great barrier coating...

But has anyone ever tried using Coverlite, Coverite, or however???
It seems like it would stretch over the Foam Board nicely, especially the Wings. It looks GREAT, and I think it would nearly stop the shredding and delaminating...
Plus make it more waterproof.

SURE it would add some weight, but a clever person could power up accordingly.

NEXT: How about using Dope on the DTFB paper coating? It makes Tissue Paper taut, and more durable and Paintable.

My apologies if this is old news. I haven't read anything about it, and the Engineer in me just can't stop thinking! :p
The paper is not the issue when it comes to FB (Except for the weight), but rather the foam itself and the paper to FB bonding.

Any solvent that it NOT foam safe will soak through the porous paper covering and attack the foam and the bond to the foam. Any high volatility solvent should be avoided until tested. Generally there are not too many solvents that are actually foam safe so proceed with caution.

As for the covering films they work well. I used an iron covering to finish off my FB and balsa Spitfire a while ago now. It is still flying!! For the build and the covering see: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/balsa-foamboard-test-build-ft-spitfire.32734/

Have fun!

daxian

Elite member
i had a go with covering films a while back on the sportster...worked ok ,but as it was my first attempt i made a few muck ups /mistakes...had my iron too hot and caused the foam to deform in a few places ....also tried using a hair drier(dont tell the wife)...as a consequence of the mistakes i never got around to flying it ...she just sits on my wall looking pretty .
i have learned from the mistakes and gotten better with the covering process and moved on ...to laminate !!

Attachments

• sportster.JPG
    sportster.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
i had a go with covering films a while back on the sportster...worked ok ,but as it was my first attempt i made a few muck ups /mistakes...had my iron too hot and caused the foam to deform in a few places ....also tried using a hair drier(dont tell the wife)...as a consequence of the mistakes i never got around to flying it ...she just sits on my wall looking pretty .
i have learned from the mistakes and gotten better with the covering process and moved on ...to laminate !!

That looks GOOD! I'm still considering that, but maybe Ez-Cote, not needing heat.

PoorManRC

Master member
@Hai-Lee - INCREDIBLE work on your Spit!!

I can understand that solvent based barrier coatings WON'T work with Foam! DUH!
I should have realized that.

There's a Product called Ez-Dope, which is acrylic and water soluble/cleanup...
Maybe THAT?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - INCREDIBLE work on your Spit!!

I can understand that solvent based barrier coatings WON'T work with Foam! DUH!
I should have realized that.

There's a Product called Ez-Dope, which is acrylic and water soluble/cleanup...
Maybe THAT?
Everything is worth a trial! If no one evaluates then nothing ever changes! Just plan your build if using such as Dope by its original design was to shrink when drying so ensure that the shrinking does not introduce warps into your build. On the Spitfire I already knew that the structure was far stronger than the covering and so the battle between the covering materials forces due to its shrinkage and the structural forces trying to maintain their natural shape would always be won by the underlying structure.

As you are aware the use of dope was to tighten the tissue skin of the model where it spanned areas where there was not underlying structure. If you are not covering structural voids there is not much advantage in using a dope especially if the material is expensive. If it is cheap use it everywhere and see where it makes the job easier or results better! DO NOT forget to post your experiments and their results for the benefit of other forum users!

Have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
Dope, coverings and paint are expensive compared with the cost of the plane. You'd be much better off spending your money on planes and equipment. When you have your planes and some spare cash, make them look nice. We've already said that your plane will most likely be totalled before long. I hope we're wrong, but that's sadly the reality for many beginners, so take my advice and save your money and efforts for something in the future unless you only want to see your plane in the wall hanger. I hope you don't hate me for spoiling your dream. I'm only trying to help.

Keno

Top Flight EconoKote works great It is low temp. However if you use to much heat you can cause the foam to expand and form a raised area (blister). On brown board do a test to see how it adheres to its waxy surface. I have not used it on this type of surface. Work great on white board use it many times.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
<BR>
. ....We've already said that your plane will most likely be totalled before long. I hope we're wrong, but that's sadly the reality for many... I hope you don't hate me for spoiling your dream. I'm only trying to help.

No, really... YOU are the only one who seems SURE that my Plane WILL end up a pile of lawn dart garbage.
And you seem to be really trying to drive that point home!

PoorManRC

Master member
Top Flight EconoKote works great It is low temp. However if you use to much heat you can cause the foam to expand and form a raised area (blister). On brown board do a test to see how it adheres to its waxy surface. I have used it on this type of surface. Work great on white board use it many times.

I'm not sure which type of Board I'll be getting...
But I have realized that I've got a LOT of thinking to do about appearance!

I may even end up using different types of coverings on different areas. I've got enough Foam Board on hand, and plan on making spare parts, some expendable just for experiments!! ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
No, really... YOU are the only one who seems SURE that my Plane WILL end up a pile of lawn dart garbage.
And you seem to be really trying to drive that point home!
Have you been watching the vids of the of other noob flyers here? Not only is everyone crashing and destroying, they are rebuilding and then crashing and destroying again. It's the recognition that it will happen, and a desire to fly that overcomes the loss. No doubt with big dreams of greater things to come.

Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. I added Enjoy (but it didn't take off. Bah-dum-dum-tish).

It just seems to be part of the learning process. I don't think d8veh is trying to be a butt, I think he's just worried you're going to throw unnecessary time effort and money into something that yes, you are very, very likely to crash. I've already written off my first two planes and three props and I haven't even flown yet, and don't own a prop. He's just trying to help and wants to see you fly - on a tight budget.

PoorManRC

Master member
@buzzbomb - I EXPECT some crashes!! I not only don't think I'm better than anyone.... I'm even LESS experienced than nearly everyone here!! :eek::p

As a 1:1 Pilot, of some experience, I do understand the process of Flight, aerodynamic forces, and my control surface's affect on them.
I also completely understand that RC Flying is DIFFERENT, in some very fundamental ways!
And for budgetary reasons, my first "flights" will be VERY conservative.....tame even. So I'm hoping to not break it beyond repair!

I'm just choosing to be a little more Positive, and not get it in my Head, that I'm absolutely GOING to crash - all the time.
If it happens, it happens! And I'll try to get some good Video, so we all can have a chuckle, and maybe even learn something!! ;)

But, I'm NOT going out there, CONVINCED that I will fail. A guy in our Squadron, coherced into Flying by his Grandfather, was SURE he was going to fail.....

He's not here today, to explain.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - I EXPECT some crashes!! I not only don't think I'm better than anyone.... I'm even LESS experienced than nearly everyone here!! :eek::p

As a 1:1 Pilot, of some experience, I do understand the process of Flight, aerodynamic forces, and my control surface's affect on them.
I also completely understand that RC Flying is DIFFERENT, in some very fundamental ways!

I'm just choosing to be a little more Positive, and not get it in my Head, that I'm absolutely GOING to crash - all the time.
If it happens, it happens! And I'll try to get some good Video, so we all can have a chuckle, and maybe even learn something!! ;)

But, I'm NOT going out there, CONVINCED that I will fail. A guy in our Squadron, coherced into Flying by his Grandfather, was SURE he was going to fail.....

He's not here today, to explain.
Love. I still think you're missing it. It's not a conviction that one is going to crash. It's just expecting that your first couple little RC planes are more than likely going to be toast. Bit's of useless foam that we can hang somewhere for the memory of the moment. Nobody died. It's just foamboard and it is going to to be sacrificed so we can learn to fly RC.

Driving home from work tonight it was cold. So I started thinking about cold. I used to ride a motorcycle and I had enough gear to ride in thirty-six degrees farenheit. That's pretty cold. Then I thought about how wet one could get on a motorcycle. I once rode from The Tail of the Dragon to my home all way in heavy rain. Six hours more wet than you can get in a bathtub.

I recognized at the time that when I thought about it years down the road, I'd smile with that memory. When I thought about it? I smiled. We ARE going to crash. Then we'll rebuild and do it again.

If you want to build the pretty plane as your first, do so. Tell everyone who naysays that you are doing exactly that and darn all the advice. You're your own man, and this is something you want to do. That's cool. Admirable, even. But you are going to crash it. My budget? A five-dollar role of tape is not currently doable. We're trying to convince you to fly cheap.

That's it. We want you to fly, and fly cheap. End of the day, though? It's all you. If you'd rather build than fly, then do it! If you're OK with everything involved in crashing a beautiful plane, then do it! I've thoroughly enjoyed my building experience and I can't wait to take it to the next level. Txwarthog and maya both have great build and maiden flight vidoes going.

I fully expect my first flight experience to be just like theirs. Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. Build your awesome plane, or just put something in the air. Your choice. My personal opinion? There is nothing wrong with just building a beautiful plane for sake of building it. Don't fly it though, until you've some other flights under your belt. If you've thrown that much love at it, why chance it's near instant destruction? Build YOUR plane, then build something you can learn to fly RC on. Then take YOUR plane out for a spin.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Can I choose all of the above??
I do get what you're saying, really. And, I expect some crashes! It is the learning process, isn't it?

I do want, and am building, my "pretty Plane". Common Sense hit me.... That CAN'T be my very first Flight!!
So..... I've got an "A Size" Motor/ESC. Maybe a small Bipe, to putz around with, for getting comfortable with RC Aircraft?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Can I choose all of the above??
I do get what you're saying, really. And, I expect some crashes! It is the learning process, isn't it?

I do want, and am building, my "pretty Plane". Common Sense hit me.... That CAN'T be my very first Flight!!
So..... I've got an "A Size" Motor/ESC. Maybe a small Bipe, to putz around with, for getting comfortable with RC Aircraft?
After reading a lot, and my first choice being backordered as a speed build kit (which after much more reading was actually a good thing) I went with the Tiny Trainer.

There seems to be a pretty good consensus that is a great training platform, and it'll work with the A pack. I've also read that the FT Flyer, though not really visually appealing, is an easy build and a good trainer. It takes a strong person to step back, look at something and admit in public that maybe they were wrong. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you, man.

jaredstrees

Yeah, part of putting these into the air is you will crash. Doesn't matter how good you get, you'll still crash. I totaled a 3D printed plane over the weekend. First real crash I've had in almost a year. It's also part of the excitement and fun. I made my first plane real pretty. Then drove her into the ground in 50'. But there is nothing wrong with dressing them up a little either. Basically it comes down to it's your time. If you've got the time to put into it, by all means pretty her up. If you don't give her a few stripes for orientation and send her skyward. Then while you learn you'll have plenty of time to beautify the plane you're really working towards flying. Fly you will, but also crash you will!

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah, I get it.... I'm not going to have 3 point landings every time!! ;) I still don't want to believe that every Flight is going to be a disaster.

I'm counting myself as one of the many (hopefully), who are the over zealous new entries in a new branch of the Hobby!! I'm going to detail ALL of my Planes.....
I've got a LOT of time on my hands.
I'm a Disabled Veteran, 54 years old, and considered advanced in all my other Hobbies.

I've got to learn how to be a N00B again!! :p:LOL:

d8veh

Elite member
I had been building and flying free-flight planes for 20 years before I started RC. I knew everything about model flight. My bible and bed-time reading was the book "Model aircraft Aerodynamics", which you can still buy today. I think I went through three versions of it. We didn't have internet in those days, but I read every book and magazine article on how to fly an RC, then practiced all the movements with my transmitter, imagining how the plane was going to go.

My first flight lasted about 10 seconds amd ended with my lovingly built 48" span KeilKraft Mini Super converted back into a kit. That wasn't actually my first RC aircraft. My first one, a 60" glider, was totalled by a so-called expert, who insisted on using his own transmitter to test fly it, but be forgot to check the servo directions. That one ended up something less than a kit because it was too deep in the ground to get it all out, so I never even got the chance to try it.

If you take a properly experience pilot with you, who can get the plane sorted before he hands over control, and he tells you what to do, you'll have absolutely no problem at all, but on your own, probability is against you.

As already said, you get extra points for crashing pretty planes, like these guys. They won even though they lost their plane;

jaredstrees

Not every flight will end in disaster. But you will have your share of them. Gravity is a powerful mistress. You will have less disasters as you gain experience, but they will still happen. At the end of the day, if you had fun it was worth it. Like I said, even the best pilots out there will lose a plane on occasion. But I agree, don't go to the field expecting a crash, just don't get discouraged when they happen.

PoorManRC

Master member
Don't worry Guys, I won't be disappointed! In the back of my head, I'm thinking "I've flown Planes weighing over 60,000lbs - how BAD can a 30oz Plane be??"

Well, after many blooper and crash reels, reality set in. So now, while waiting for maybe one of two Kits to get to me, FT has Videos on strengthening LE's and noses...
I'll be boning up on prevention! ;)

..... I'm not counting on either one, but if one of them do help me, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: