Cp antennas for the control system

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
In spite of all of us spending lots of time and money on antennas for the video system, the best things we do for the control system is position the rx's 2 antennas at 90 degrees and perhaps use a patch.

Has anyone used cp antennas on the control system? I'm curious about how it'd affect range, taking into consideration that the data transmitted between a control system tx and rx are minuscule. Would orientational reliability offset the slightly lower gain of a sp on the rx?

Nonamerc

Arman
i dont think that you need cp antennas for your 9X/UHF/FM system. Just make an one element yagi. That works just fine.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Do they make a patch for 72mhz? I don't CP antennas would help, linear travels better anyway.

Nonamerc

Arman
i dont think so since the antennas are not changeable and it would have to be huge!! Lower frequency=smaller antenna!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, yeah, it'd look something like a space satellite dish for 72Mhz! Even for UHF cp antennas would be too big.

Linear travels better, but I'm thinking about how the radiowave delivers information. For low data applications, the information carrying part of the signal is tiny - as the amount of signal received decreases (generally with distance), the chances of the information itself being received decreases. CP antennas are much better at transmitting the entire signal between two points with the smallest signal loss for orientation changes.

I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Nonamerc

Arman
Haha, yeah, it'd look something like a space satellite dish for 72Mhz! Even for UHF cp antennas would be too big.

Linear travels better, but I'm thinking about how the radiowave delivers information. For low data applications, the information carrying part of the signal is tiny - as the amount of signal received decreases (generally with distance), the chances of the information itself being received decreases. CP antennas are much better at transmitting the entire signal between two points with the smallest signal loss for orientation changes.

I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

I think the last. With all the cool stuff people do it should have been done already :)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've got an unfair advantage. It's morning here and I've just had my coffee. Don't talk to me at 3pm...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I can't find anything on the www about cp antennas and PCM... I'd have thought they'd be even better for data retention for PCM than for FM (video transmitters use FM). All I can find is propaganda for path diversity (having more than one antenna), which for LOS flying is all but irrelevant (if path diversity is essential to get you to the edge of visual range there's something wrong with your system...).

I might need to do some experiments with this myself. Although I don't have a system I'm willing to do it with. The Orange receivers only have monopole antennas, so I doubt there'd be anything to solder shielding to. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd prefer to use a FlySky rx, but I can't change the tx antenna very easily (plug and play for the other modules). I definitely won't be pulling apart a FrSky rx... Although they would be a perfect candidate, given that I could keep one antenna stock and the other cp (that's a paired T-test for the statisticians out there...).