CranialRectosis' Twitchity Mini-Tricopter build

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I run 30% expo on the transmitter. :)

It is a little twitchy but not bad for me when I fly LOS. I tried 50% and kept crashing when I wasn't pushing the sticks hard enough doing flips.

I keep forgetting I'd also extended the range in my tx for roll/pitch/yaw lol... when I first loaded up PID 2 I was sitting at 1.50 RC rates and 80/80/40, and it was also the first flight with the extended ranges (was something like 1200-1700 in the tx, extended to show 1000-2000 end to end in cleanflight). The combination of those changes all in one go was a hilarious fail. went to roll it even though it was CRAZY twitchy, and the roll rate was plaid... at least 5 full rolls per second. there was no way to recover orientation... especially with the laughter roaring out of my head.

(I didn't break a prop though ;) )

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Well, I finally broke it. I have been learning FPV in the back yard with this little thing and after whacking the retaining wall, hitting a tomato cage and a few smacks into terra firma, I finally hit a tree and broke something good.

The Naze no longer responds. When I connect to USB it connects to the PC but no blue light and CF can't see it to connect or to flash. :(

Everything else on this copter is doing great. PID 2 (lux float) is pretty cool. I feel locked in but not restricted.

I gotta get this thing back in the air. Looks like I'll be breaking out the soldering iron and flashing another Naze32 to Cleanflight this weekend.

jipp

wow, you must of hit hard to take out a FC>. congrats! heh.

even tho that can get spendy. so do not make a habit of it ok.. :p heh.
did you get the crash on film?

chris.

narcolepticltd

Well, I finally broke it. I have been learning FPV in the back yard with this little thing and after whacking the retaining wall, hitting a tomato cage and a few smacks into terra firma, I finally hit a tree and broke something good.

The Naze no longer responds. When I connect to USB it connects to the PC but no blue light and CF can't see it to connect or to flash. :(

Everything else on this copter is doing great. PID 2 (lux float) is pretty cool. I feel locked in but not restricted.

I gotta get this thing back in the air. Looks like I'll be breaking out the soldering iron and flashing another Naze32 to Cleanflight this weekend.

The only reason you got to break yours before me, is because it's been raining here all weekend! I've been working on the 230 pretty much all day... might plug it in this evening.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
wow, you must of hit hard to take out a FC>. congrats! heh.

even tho that can get spendy. so do not make a habit of it ok.. :p heh.
did you get the crash on film?

chris.

No video. :(

I need to fix that too and learn how to mount the camera so I don't get jello. Ahh well. I will mount the Mobius after I replace the Naze. It was windy and snowy and rainy all week and today is no different. I have time to build today.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Looks like I whacked a capacitor on an ESC with a rotor when this thing went down...

I am going to try to replace the cap with one from an old blue from the first build of my WarpQuad.

P4100002.JPG

cranialrectosis

Mentor
The cap was loose from the ESC. It was pushed in the direction of the prop spin and the heatshrink (this is pretty tough heat shrink) held it in place. I think the copter landed on the prop while it was spinning and the prop got bent down into the cap.

I dunno.

I almost have it fixed. I hope. :)

narcolepticltd

The cap was loose from the ESC. It was pushed in the direction of the prop spin and the heatshrink (this is pretty tough heat shrink) held it in place. I think the copter landed on the prop while it was spinning and the prop got bent down into the cap.

I dunno.

I almost have it fixed. I hope. :)

Did you salvage the FC or having to throw a spare in? Hope you had a backup if so :p

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Should be an easy fix. The specs on those caps isn't super critical. I've replaced them with close but not quite matching caps on my BS12A's when they've suffered prop strikes and they still worked just as well.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I'm going to a spare. It already had pins so I had to remove the old pins, purge the solder from the Naze so I could solder in new pins and now I am in business.

I wiped the old Naze down with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol. Let it dry and tried connecting to the PC. No love. I don't see any obvious shorts, smoke marks, scortches or errant balls of solder on it and USB works. The rest of the board, however, has gone beyond.

No real idea what caused it to lose its mind like that but that's why there are spares. I gotta admit though; I thought long and hard about a Brain. Flying FPV makes me want that OSD with HUD and telemetry.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I might be a little spoiled with my first FPV experience when my vortex finally shows up :p

Did you order one?

I'm waiting for FGA to do a build log. :)

I got my tri-copter back in the air. The new capacitor seems to be working fine. I will try some FPV after dinner maybe if the wind will die down. :)

narcolepticltd

Did you order one?

I'm waiting for FGA to do a build log. :)

I got my tri-copter back in the air. The new capacitor seems to be working fine. I will try some FPV after dinner maybe if the wind will die down. :)

I haven't seen a pic of this thing since you installed a camera... did you move the battery back to the bottom or still have it on top? Lets see how it looks now!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I had to put the lipo on the bottom and land on it. I don't like landing on the lipo and the zip ties aren't doing it here but I didn't want to strap the lipo on top of the Mobius or visa versa.

The fancy orange front rotors got eaten by a tomato cage on the first FPV flight.

I also need an FPV antenna extension but GetFPV is sold out ATM.

Anyway, here at last for your perusal....

P4110001.JPG P4110002.JPG P4110003.JPG P4110005.JPG P4110011.JPG

EDIT: Sorry about The Poo. I came back to delete the photo but decided to leave it in anyway.

narcolepticltd

I had to put the lipo on the bottom and land on it. I don't like landing on the lipo and the zip ties aren't doing it here but I didn't want to strap the lipo on top of the Mobius or visa versa.

The fancy orange front rotors got eaten by a tomato cage on the first FPV flight.

I also need an FPV antenna extension but GetFPV is sold out ATM.

Anyway, here at last for your perusal....

View attachment 45539 View attachment 45540 View attachment 45541 View attachment 45542 View attachment 45543

EDIT: Sorry about The Poo. I came back to delete the photo but decided to leave it in anyway.

Looking good! And yeah, I did order one of those things... My local hobby gave me the impression they would have them 'by the weekend', but I found out from C0d3M0nk3y that IRC still had not yet received everything to get them shipped out yet.

No big deal, as I'm going to have to wait on goggles anyways... pre-ordered the headplay HD's. I'll have some 4s batteries and 5x4 HQs waiting for it when it finally arrives though :p

cranialrectosis

Mentor
New Taranis arrived today! :)

Went out to SCORCH today and flew some FPV with this thing. Did my first FPV flip today! What a kick!

I gotta get the new Taranis set up for this copter, I definitely need more props and I need some new lipos too.

Oh and I hate jello. :mad:

narcolepticltd

New Taranis arrived today! :)

Went out to SCORCH today and flew some FPV with this thing. Did my first FPV flip today! What a kick!

I gotta get the new Taranis set up for this copter, I definitely need more props and I need some new lipos too.

Oh and I hate jello. :mad:

Video or it didn't happen...

and yeah, jello sucks.