Crash Kit

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Have you ever crashed your plane at the flying field and haven't had the tools or parts to get it back up in the air? Well in this episode of Flite Test, you'll see what the Flite Test crew takes with them! Maybe you'll get some new ideas for your crash kit!

SUPPLIES

Glue

Scissors

Extra Propellers

Servo arms

Servo Wires

Rubber bands

Velcro

Lead weights

Extra Hardware

Prop savers

Level

Zip ties

Prop collates

Prop savers

Rubber bands

HXT 900 9 gram Servos

Receiver locator

Speed controller

Gyro

U BEC

Battery Adapters

TOOLS

Extreme Packing Tape

Extra Batteries

Alan wrenches

Lock tight

Esc Programming card

Power analyzer HK 101

Cordless Soldering Gun

Tachometer

Screwdrivers

Pliers

Razor knife

Wire Cutters

see_article.png

Attachments

• ebay 054.JPG
    ebay 054.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • ebay 057.JPG
    ebay 057.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 058.JPG
    ebay 058.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 059.JPG
    ebay 059.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 060.JPG
    ebay 060.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 061.JPG
    ebay 061.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 062.JPG
    ebay 062.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 0

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have to say that this is really a good video with plenty of excellent ideas. My crash kit consists of a bucket with one of those bucket tool pouches on it. I also use some old CrystalLite plastic containers as my small compartments. It's not as near as organized as the setup in the video but I think the point is, something, anything is better than nothing and it's a step in the right direction.

You provided a very good list of suggested items. Lot's of that stuff if you order it before it's needed can be bought online with significant dollars saved over buying it at the local hobby store which in my case is over 30 minutes away and has kinda high prices.

Among the stuff I like to have that I didn't already see here are:

Y connector
spare AA xmtr batteries
bind plug
Gorilla tape
Gorilla glue
hot glue & gun
toothpicks
12v inverter for ac power
extension cord
x-acto knife
phillips head screwdriver
needle-nose pliers
small rubber bands for clevis retainers (we use the kind that kids with braces use)

atschultz

Does Gorilla Glue work well on planes? I've only used it a few times at work and it seems to expand as it cures.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I like it. When I wet the surfaces before smearing the glue on the combination makes the glue swell and cure much faster. The result is having the crevices well filled. Anything that swells too much is easily sanded down flush.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
Very nice ideas. Personally i always bring a roll of ducktape to the field, and that solves all problems, (yes everything).
when i was younger i used to fly a heli with wooden blades, i crashed a lot, and i ended up simply taping the broken rotorblades together, yes it destroyed the balance(i had no idea what that was back than), and it vibrated (shock) like hell, and now that i think of it, it probably was very dangerous..... but it flew, and that was good enough for me :)
what i wanted to say was that if you only can bring one thing to the field, make sure its ducktape (or some other kind of tape) ;) :p

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Haha Sunshine that is soooo true.

How often did I go to the field and say :"why didn´t I bring the tape with me!"

Now learned to always have some with me over the time :D

Grumps

I was wondering about the connectors (EC3 -> Deaans and the other types). Is there any drawback to having a connector like that? Or is it just plug and play?

ananas1301

Josh Bixler says that many other at the flying field might be looking out for one to use or so that you can use someone elses batteries etc..

It is not really that important but it helps a lot in some situations if you havee it there. If you know that no one uses it and you also don´t you shouldn´t even bother doing any connectors for connections noone uses. But you never know. Maybe at a flying event someone might look for something unsual.

Grumps

Oh, I think I wasn't clear on what I was asking. I'm thinking about technical drawbacks.. like is a EC3 to Deans connector worse than just using a regular deans connector instead? Will it heat up more? Will it draw more amps? Stuff like that. :)

ananas1301

I don´t get that question really but I´ll give it another try:

Some connectors you know are made for letting through a certain current. If that is too high the connectors melt and also probably even loose connections, or create shortcuts, which will lead to a crash most of the times.

So in fact there will always be one of the connectors in a adapter, that will let through a bit less current then the others.

Did I answer more now?

Manfet

Yes adapters do have drawbacks. They add resistance to the system. So you are going to loose a little bit of battery power to the adapter and its another thing that can get broken.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes adapters do have drawbacks. They add resistance to the system. So you are going to loose a little bit of battery power to the adapter and its another thing that can get broken.

Very little battery power, it's just like having more cable...

ananas1301

Yeah that is the obvious part which I didn´t realise ^^ But true, the longer and the thinner the cables are the less current will be able to get through.

Also the material itself you used will have an effect on the resistivity of cable. The value of that is called electron density and those are listed values for specific materials. For us the only important ones are metal :D
Little physics there for ya

RcTranMD

Scratch Builder
hey is there a good substitute for the O-rings on the prop saver cause the nearest hobby shop is 30 min away without traffic and i just lost mine at the field and my spare ones
anyway if there is can you tell me wear i can get it
it would make a very good Christmas for me

RcTranMD

Scratch Builder
Prop saver rubber band?

hey is there a good substitute for the O-rings on the prop saver cause the nearest hobby shop is 30 min away without traffic and i just lost mine at the field and my spare ones
anyway if there is can you tell me wear i can get it
it would make a very good Christmas for me

sandblaster

Do you have a decent automotive parts store near? Take the prop. and hub and check out there supply of O rings. NAPA would be a good one as they stock O rings. Suspect others will have them as well.

Klonas

I bought one from a hardware store in the pluming section. They put on tighter but they hold and last much better than a propsaver from a hobbyshop.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
+1 Home Depot plumbing department. Different sizes, I think I use the #12

I've also seen where people take surgical tubing and slice pieces off of it and use them for prop saver bands. Haven't tried it though...