Crash support group

Hoomi

Master member
If it doesn't touch the ground it doesn't count as a crash. Those weeds are the reason my planes are still alive with only minimal repairs.
Well, in that case, my Sensei didn't crash! It didn't touch the ground! It was still in the mesquite tree when I retrieved it! :D

I have a few parts on order now for the repair, including a new servo. I don't know if the rudder servo is damaged, but when I hooked a battery up and worked the controls, it sounded rough. I could just swap the rudder servo with the drop hatch servo, and may end up doing that anyway. I plan this weekend to do some experimenting with scrap foam on the wing design, with the goal of having the Sensei ready to fly again by July 4th.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Well, in that case, my Sensei didn't crash! It didn't touch the ground! It was still in the mesquite tree when I retrieved it! :D

I have a few parts on order now for the repair, including a new servo. I don't know if the rudder servo is damaged, but when I hooked a battery up and worked the controls, it sounded rough. I could just swap the rudder servo with the drop hatch servo, and may end up doing that anyway. I plan this weekend to do some experimenting with scrap foam on the wing design, with the goal of having the Sensei ready to fly again by July 4th.
Are you going to do what I think you might be contemplating? I have like 3 tiny trainers now. 2 scratch builds and a speed build. My first scratch build is looking terrible after some rigorous use. I might just shoot some Roman candles at it. I know it's dangerous, so I'll do everything I can to be as safe as possible. I probably won't though as my parents won't let me. I'd still like to try. In peter Sripol's 2017 video all he did was destroy the elevator servo

Gold Max

Are you going to do what I think you might be contemplating? I have like 3 tiny trainers now. 2 scratch builds and a speed build. My first scratch build is looking terrible after some rigorous use. I might just shoot some Roman candles at it. I know it's dangerous, so I'll do everything I can to be as safe as possible. I probably won't though as my parents won't let me. I'd still like to try. In peter Sripol's 2017 video all he did was destroy the elevator servo
JUST DO IT!!!!!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
JUST DO IT!!!!!
My failed attempt at drawing a Nike swoosh
IMG_3159.JPG

Hoomi

Master member

Nope, not going to shoot fireworks at it, or from it. For one, it doesn't take long for this desert to dry out enough to present a fire hazard. While most of the native flora of the Sonoran Desert isn't that likely to ignite easily and result in a wildfire, we have a lot of invasive species, such as Bufflegrass, that grows fast, dense, and dries out to become ready fuel for the random spark.

However, since July 4th *is* a holiday from work, I will likely head out to the flying field for a while in the morning, and put a few planes up. It'd be nice to have the Sensei ready to return to the air that day.

Gold Max

Nope, not going to shoot fireworks at it, or from it. For one, it doesn't take long for this desert to dry out enough to present a fire hazard. While most of the native flora of the Sonoran Desert isn't that likely to ignite easily and result in a wildfire, we have a lot of invasive species, such as Bufflegrass, that grows fast, dense, and dries out to become ready fuel for the random spark.

However, since July 4th *is* a holiday from work, I will likely head out to the flying field for a while in the morning, and put a few planes up. It'd be nice to have the Sensei ready to return to the air that day.
Smort

Matthew Sanders

Elite member

A good way to celebrate freedom, that's for sure! I don't have to worry about fires because my flying field is a 300x300 foot sand field with little to no obstacles and very very few plants.

MightyMike

How did you destroy the TT fuselage? I've lawn darted it like 5 or 6 times and I've only had to build a couple new noses and some power pods. Not to mention buying new props

Nailed it straight into the trunk of a tree :rolleyes:

But the FT Simple Storch is realy great! Just forgot to grab my lipo warner, but you can even land it without control on the spot.

20190614_202121.jpg

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So how much dual rate/expo do you on the forum put on ailerons. Ive been flying really good with 3 channel, even in 10 mph wind (that probably isn't that high to you, but it is to me!) I took my TT out with 4 channel in calm breeze and proceeded to barrel roll and land on my tail. No damage, except to my confidence level. I was able to do ok when I lowered the effectiveness of the ailerons, but you here probably go to hobby stores and buy pre built planes with ailerons. Any suggestions?

mayan

Legendary member
So how much dual rate/expo do you on the forum put on ailerons. Ive been flying really good with 3 channel, even in 10 mph wind (that probably isn't that high to you, but it is to me!) I took my TT out with 4 channel in calm breeze and proceeded to barrel roll and land on my tail. No damage, except to my confidence level. I was able to do ok when I lowered the effectiveness of the ailerons, but you here probably go to hobby stores and buy pre built planes with ailerons. Any suggestions?
I would say 30% expo should be good. With the ailerons just be really gentle with the gimbals.

Hoomi

Master member
Most of my planes, I set my dual-rates to about 50%, with expo to about 30%. One suggestion - if your Tx shows a curve plot for your expo, pay attention. Different transmitters reverse the curve. When I commented to other pilots out at our field what I had my expo set at, they expressed concern, until I showed them the curve. Their systems were reversed positive to negative expo from mine. You want your expo curve to have lesser effect close to the center position of the stick, with more effect towards the limit.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Sorry, no picture but after 2 months of crashing simple scout, I almost made a complete circle if not for the light pole at the baseball field. I am now building a tiny trainer to try instead.
The TT with the polyhedral wing is an excellent plane to learn to fly with. After two months of experience trying to fly the Simple Scout, you might find instant success with the TT. If you don't, I would suggest starting up a thread so we can help out. Good Luck and Happy Flying!