Crash support group

Hoomi

Master member
FAWKES RISES!

I need to reduce the rates on the ailerons, as she was far more twitchy than she used to be, and I think I need to reinforce the wing roots a bit more. I kept this flight short (about 90 seconds), but she flew and landed safely. My better half has a cool Phoenix decal for her Scan 'n' Cut, so before her next flight, she'll have some fitting trim.

Video to follow sometime later today, after I've edited it.
FawkesRises.jpg

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
A few flite fest crashes:
View attachment 135997 View attachment 135998

There were more of course, just didn't get pictures. The most heartbreaking was when I lit up my storch with LEDs, then a minute and a half into my first night flight someone hit me hard enough to rip off half the elevator and knock out my battery. The storch immediately went black and tumbled into the wheat. Since it was after dark I fixed the damage using the plane to light up my table in the build tent. Got it flying again that night. 👍
View attachment 135999
The FT commuter doesn't look too bad

Tronglodon

Where did you find it? I've been looking to light up a plane for a while now but most of the stuff I found required soldering, which is something I'm not good at and have only done once.
TGK Connectors had a great booth at FF. I got a 3s balance lead from them for a buck. https://mkt.com/tgkconnectors/item/s-bs-balance-connectors-jst-xh-1
I didn't have my soldering stuff with me so I stripped the ends of the wires attached to the led strip and just stuck them into either end of the balance lead. A healthy glob of hot glue kept everything in place.

CPJ

So as I was diving towards earth with the throttle pinned and pulling up at the last minute I thought “it looks like the wing is folding a bit.” In one particular give it berries dive, about 10 feet off the ground, as I was pulling out of the dive....the wing did indeed fold. Well, when the wing folds you lose lift. Instantly. Yard darted that sucker STRAIGHT into the ground. Electronics appear to have survived, which means I’m out some time and 2$ worth of foam board. The smart guy would just set the remains on fire and build a new plane. So I’m gonna patch this sucker up and see if I can make it fly. 🤣. this is how you properly yard sale a plane. 👍
Funny thing, Im not even mad. “They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting in to, I say, let em crash!”
86EA03C1-28EF-4780-AC1C-39154D94118E.jpeg
FC09A1BD-BFA7-4DE1-B018-D885CED67D94.jpeg
63CDB67E-F23E-457F-BCE4-746253D5F600.jpeg
AB180E9B-4939-4444-86F7-03A930B3A033.jpeg

Attachments

• FC4985D7-B026-4B73-AE2E-08BDFD41AA2D.jpeg
    FC4985D7-B026-4B73-AE2E-08BDFD41AA2D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 738C3490-8592-4CC3-B5F5-CD8936E38324.jpeg
    738C3490-8592-4CC3-B5F5-CD8936E38324.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 7177DC22-9308-440C-B64E-5937EBB04C14.jpeg
    7177DC22-9308-440C-B64E-5937EBB04C14.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D334FE7-7CB4-4EA7-A75A-A4AD80DEC738.jpeg
    7D334FE7-7CB4-4EA7-A75A-A4AD80DEC738.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5DDAE3C2-C4B2-47B2-B488-1E2B25B65BAE.jpeg
    5DDAE3C2-C4B2-47B2-B488-1E2B25B65BAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

b-29er

I got all the way through flite fest, didn't have a crash outside of combat. Went to Edgewater, grabbed my EDF jets, took off on the nose-free f-18, in a counterclockwise pattern with a few other aircraft and a few of the crew flying the steampunk planes. In retrospect, i flew more than a touch aggressively, especially given the altitude changes associated with a tree-surrounded runway and a 90mm edf, and i was gunning to catch up with the pattern (i'm assuming i was actually flying a larger loop and wasn't quite familiar with the sight picture of the aircraft) . Long story short, shortly after the fantasy planes landed, i came in for a pass at about 20 feet, and at about midfield, saw the right stabilator flutter two or three times, then jam in the up position. Despite my efforts, the plane came careening over the pilot stations and about hit a VIP...long story short, know your equipment and know your limits. It may be cool flying fast and low, but your equipment may not be so forgiving.

Attachments

• 45934.jpeg
    45934.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 0

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Ahhhhh Man! So I scratch built the FT Long EZ on March 17th as a chuck Glider. I dreamed of flying it RC one day. In June, I decided to make it happen. Converted it to RC in just 2 days. Ripped the components out of my speed build long ez. Maidened it yesterday. It had some weird issue with always wanting to pitch up. Otherwise it flew pretty good. So today I was like yeah I'll fly it with all my new tape decals on it.
IMG_3425.JPG

Please note, I only took a picture after the... well I'm getting to that.
Anyway, I'm not sure why it wants to keep going up, but it was, and I didn't want it to get out of my sight, and it was practically over my head, so I tried to bank and yank. I only had time to bank. It excessively rolled. I think I did like 9 before it nose dived into the ground from 50 feet up. Surprisingly little damage for what it did. I can fix the top plate but the stupid fuselage is accordioned, and I can't peel it apart. I tried with a hair dryer on high (with a fire extinguisher in my hand) and it didn't work. Oh well. I guess I'll have to accept the fact my favorite plane looks like trash. By the way, is it just me, or does it seem every plane we don't want to crash we end up destroying?
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
Ahhhhh Man! So I scratch built the FT Long EZ on March 17th as a chuck Glider. I dreamed of flying it RC one day. In June, I decided to make it happen. Converted it to RC in just 2 days. Ripped the components out of my speed build long ez. Maidened it yesterday. It had some weird issue with always wanting to pitch up. Otherwise it flew pretty good. So today I was like yeah I'll fly it with all my new tape decals on it. View attachment 136339
Please note, I only took a picture after the... well I'm getting to that.
Anyway, I'm not sure why it wants to keep going up, but it was, and I didn't want it to get out of my sight, and it was practically over my head, so I tried to bank and yank. I only had time to bank. It excessively rolled. I think I did like 9 before it nose dived into the ground from 50 feet up. Surprisingly little damage for what it did. I can fix the top plate but the stupid fuselage is accordioned, and I can't peel it apart. I tried with a hair dryer on high (with a fire extinguisher in my hand) and it didn't work. Oh well. I guess I'll have to accept the fact my favorite plane looks like trash. By the way, is it just me, or does it seem every plane we don't want to crash we end up destroying? View attachment 136341 View attachment 136342 View attachment 136343 View attachment 136344 View attachment 136345
Ouch but seems repairable with some extra foam and some hot glue or brown golira glue with tape to limit the expansion. And totaly agree on crashing the one plane you don't want too :).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have seen worse hanger rash than the damage you incurred. It is just a matter of glue, patience and perhaps a few toothpicks!

As for the tendency to nose up simply the balance is too tail heavy! You need to balance the weight proportionally between the lift from the foreplane and the main wing. If the foreplane is too lightly loaded it noses up, (climbs), and if too heavily loaded it nose dives.

Have fun!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I have seen worse hanger rash than the damage you incurred. It is just a matter of glue, patience and perhaps a few toothpicks!

As for the tendency to nose up simply the balance is too tail heavy! You need to balance the weight proportionally between the lift from the foreplane and the main wing. If the foreplane is too lightly loaded it noses up, (climbs), and if too heavily loaded it nose dives.

Have fun!
I know, I was very fortunate that it wasn't too bad, however it is still not looking as pretty as it did this morning! As for tooth picks, Ive been using them in the restoration process. For the weight, I had the battery in the absolute front of the nose. It could go no further. Do you have any recommendations on how else I can balance it out? It glided pretty well yesterday, only under power did it want to go up

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
To add weight you can use almost anything from a coin to old tyre balance weights.

If it glides well and pushes the nose up under power, only, then drop the motor thrust line down slightly to stop the motor pushing the wing down and causing it to alter the lift balance.

Have fun!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
@ Hai-Lee Thanks for all the help!
So, I worked for 3 hours on restoring the airframe and reinforcing it. I go to fly it. It flew kinda ok but it didn't want to climb, even under full up elevon. Under just throttle, it would fly at about 10 feet altitude. I barely managed to keep it airborne for about 3 minutes. You could say it flew worse! Then I started kicking myself for not owning any FPV equipment. Under LOS, I crashed into a fence! Here is the damage. Sometimes I think it's better to build a new plane then fix the old one! Oh well. I'll use the A pack to power my FT Mini mustang. I only regret I couldn't tame the Long EZ. I know it's reparable, but if it flies any more sketchy, I'll be out 1 Airplane;)
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG

During the crash, my ESC ripped out of the motor

Hoomi

Master member
I tried a heat gun to relax the foam on my crashed Sensei, to little avail. What ended up working for me, was to put an old washcloth over the foam, and then pour boiling water onto the washcloth, a bit at a time. The washcloth held the heat on longer than just pouring the water over it, and regulates the heat a bit.

Not sure how that would work for foamboard, particularly if the paper isn't treated to be water resistant.