Crash support group

Arcfyre

Elite member
Crashes happen. Thankfully foamboard is cheap and most electronics don't mind the occasional swim (I crash in the water a lot)

I try to take a picture to remember it, and then move on. Here are a few of mine, enjoy!

20190321_182518.jpg
20190219_142740.jpg
20190101_160111.jpg
20181012_075810.jpg
20180809_123003.jpg
20180817_193651.jpg
20180709_162153.jpg
20180417_132706.jpg
20180322_104541.jpg
IMG-20180803-WA0001.jpg
thumb_1f4dd0311fcdf898_1554240546000.jpg
thumb_3728deb0002e67c4_1537018658000.jpg

Jimun

Elite member
Crashes happen. Thankfully foamboard is cheap and most electronics don't mind the occasional swim (I crash in the water a lot)

I try to take a picture to remember it, and then move on. Here are a few of mine, enjoy!

View attachment 128575 View attachment 128576 View attachment 128577 View attachment 128578 View attachment 128579 View attachment 128580 View attachment 128581 View attachment 128582 View attachment 128583 View attachment 128584 View attachment 128585 View attachment 128586
Makes me think of what I get to look forward to.:LOL:

mayan

Legendary member
Sorry. I don't have any crashes to share. Lucky for me, I don't crash! My son says that a crash landing is still a landing. Therefore, I have nothing but landings! :p I will admit that some landings require more repair than others, though...:sneaky::p
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
That is a great way to look at a crash :)

Theuglycamel

I've had dozens of structural integrity test over the years. Recently my most dramatic was a 4ch TT foamy cub that I attempted to barn storm through a barbed wire fence. It was handy having a plane that would disassemble the electronics for you... Only bummer was I was on my 3rd flight after putting ailerons on her. I so wish I had video, from my perspective she went in one side of the fence and confetti came out the other.
215533_e149a3afc362184341d0dd497eb63a7d.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I've had dozens of structural integrity test over the years. Recently my most dramatic was a 4ch TT foamy cub that I attempted to barn storm through a barbed wire fence. It was handy having a plane that would disassemble the electronics for you... Only bummer was I was on my 3rd flight after putting ailerons on her. I so wish I had video, from my perspective she went in one side of the fence and confetti came out the other. View attachment 128618
Some damages you got there, would have been hilarious to watch.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have to remove it [the nose] from the battery compartment before applying tape hehe.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had to do that so many times designing the Caudron C.460 for the International Racers contest! And my Tiny Trainer when I was first learning RC flight.

I really agree with the many comments in this thread talking about "learn from every crash" - that's a great way to approach flying.

I've done a lot of flattening out wingtips from doing cartwheels down the runway - until I learned to switch to bigger tires on my tail draggers. In the spring before we rent a roller, our field is just too bumpy from frost heave and likes to eat whichever wheel touches down first.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to learn from a crash though. As a beginner I would sometimes see my plane fall out of the sky and have no idea why it happened. It took some time for me to learn about how going too slow and then turning with the wind would cause an immediate stall and plummeting to the ground. I seem to relearn that lesson every 6 months too :cautious:

I've seen a lot of people cry "radio brown out" and blame their gear rather than taking the time to understand what else might have happened, or might have contributed to that alleged brown out. I say "don't be like that" - keep a curious mind and ask people with more experience - in person or online.

Kendalf

Here's one of the few crash videos that I have available (not that I don't crash much, just that the camera's are never rolling when I do! :LOL:). Taken from my entry in the "Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer" challenge. Jump to the 1:44 mark for the crash. Lovely crunch sound when the wing hits the crossbar. ;)
One thing that's been good is for my kids to see how I handle disappointment after a crash. On our very first flying day together, my son saw me plant a $100+ Bixler in the top of a 30' tree. He told me later that he was surprised that I didn't seem angry or upset, and we were able to have a talk about how these are just "things" and what's more important is that we got good time together. We've gone on to crash several more of our planes. Of course, it's much easier to keep emotions in check when it's just a couple dollars worth of foam board, so there's that advantage when it comes to flying foamboard planes!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Unfortunately for you Hot melt glue dies not do BUTT joints very well and provides a point for reoccurring failure after the initial damage.

I like using a clear liquid glue that grabs the paper and the foam extremely firmly and often, (always), my next failure is anywhere but the repaired glue line! The glue is stronger than the FB itself.

Just my slant on repairs!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Unfortunately for you Hot melt glue dies not do BUTT joints very well and provides a point for reoccurring failure after the initial damage.

I like using a clear liquid glue that grabs the paper and the foam extremely firmly and often, (always), my next failure is anywhere but the repaired glue line! The glue is stronger than the FB itself.

Just my slant on repairs!

Have fun!
Yep that's why I joined some parts that I had saved from previous birds that crashed to create a new one :).

Sheriff

Built a ME-109E based on David Windestal's Spitfire.
Used good quality / expensive foamboard that weight almost twice as the one from the DollarTree.

High speed stall.. CRACK !
20140628_182804.jpg

Last edited:

Enos Shenk

Crashing just means it's time to build a new plane for variety's sake.

I was flying my Scout for a neighbor once, I was showboating because they wanted to see some aerobatics. I broke the cardinal rule of not flying between yourself and the sun. Lost orientation and straight into the dirt.

w0jqngl.jpg