Crash support group

MightyMike

I went out this week to try out my Mighty Mini Sportster with the Power-Pack F and on a 3 Cell … It is great :):D

But while a low fly by it "slightly" touched the Ground ;)

The result of this "high speed landing" was a realy compact plane with a detachable tail. Also the tail surfaces were a little bit loose and the power pod was broken. :poop:

All electronic parts were undamaged, just cleaned them and they were good to go. (y)

20190404_201625.jpg

20190404_201725.jpg

Lukily the crack is right between the servos and the Receiver.I've just cleaned the edges and prepaired everithing for the surgury. Looking pretty bad, but she's still alive. :devilish:

20190404_201701.jpg

20190404_201716.jpg
20190404_203652.jpg

20190404_203725.jpg

After reassembling the parts and joinig them with a bit of hotglue, I've reinforced the Bonding with fibrereinforced-packaging tape on the inside.

20190405_072723.jpg

20190405_072710.jpg

To reinforce the crack form outside I've applied some heavy paperboard covered with red insulating tape. That will also hide the crack a bit.

20190413_121431(0).jpg

20190413_121437.jpg

I usually bring a back up aircraft to fly just in case I do crash what I had planned to fly that day. The worst days are when you crash both, or more. There is nothing worse than finally getting that perfect day to fly and ending up owning a few less aircraft than you started with at the end of the day.

Also I've followed the advise of @Namactual and build a Tiny Trainer for relaxed flying, to have a backup plane that save my day when everything else goes wrong (y)

Everything repaired and ready for action. :)

20190413_131859.jpg
20190413_131904.jpg

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I went out this week to try out my Mighty Mini Sportster with the Power-Pack F and on a 3 Cell … It is great :):D

But while a low fly by it "slightly" touched the Ground ;)

The result of this "high speed landing" was a realy compact plane with a detachable tail. Also the tail surfaces were a little bit loose and the power pod was broken. :poop:

All electronic parts were undamaged, just cleaned them and they were good to go. (y)

View attachment 128849
View attachment 128853

Lukily the crack is right between the servos and the Receiver.I've just cleaned the edges and prepaired everithing for the surgury. Looking pretty bad, but she's still alive. :devilish:

View attachment 128850
View attachment 128851 View attachment 128852
View attachment 128854

After reassembling the parts and joinig them with a bit of hotglue, I've reinforced the Bonding with fibrereinforced-packaging tape on the inside.

View attachment 128855
View attachment 128857

To reinforce the crack form outside I've applied some heavy paperboard covered with red insulating tape. That will also hide the crack a bit.

View attachment 128856
View attachment 128858

Also I've followed the advise of @Namactual and build a Tiny Trainer for relaxed flying, to have a backup plane that save my day when everything else goes wrong (y)

Everything repaired and ready for action. :)

View attachment 128859 View attachment 128860
Nice handling of the damage and great looking repair. I also take the TT with me every time but usually use it a startup plane to get comfortable. I’ll still fly it afterwards again if I have batteries left (usually do) and the plane was not damaged.

MightyMike

Planes are fixed, batteries ar charged but we have bad weather with rain so I share another project :D

A Question: (After you've read the post) please let me know if there is already a build thread or an other maybee better place for this!

As I've started with flying RC Planes I've bought myself a E-Flite UMX PT-17. It was a great flying plane and offers you fast sucesses through the AS3X-technology. (Personally I think it is be better to learn flying with a friend and 2 Receivers in Trainer-Setup)

The issue with the beautifull looking plane is the construction out of EPP and really thin airfoils.

Even though I have all the means to fix most of the damages, one day it wasn't possible to repair it.

The sad point was that all electronic components are working well. The plane is using a Spektrum AS6410L micro System with an extra servo.

I had the idea to build a Micro-Power-Pod for Micro-Swappables :)

The challenge is the very limited amount of thrust and the low weight of 50 gr. (1,76 oz.), including the battery.

For a Long time I was looking for a possible use and came up with two ideas. Finally I decide top open up the fusilage for the last time and rip out all the electronics.

20190414_154949.jpg

First I thought about a Micro-Cub. Made in the same way than my other cub mini trainer.

20190414_160230.jpg

20190414_160222.jpg

20190414_160233.jpg

But this build is still in progress.

Instead I decided to do an project I could use for advertising at the company I work for and wanted to build a Micro-Biplane like the Powell P.H. 2 Racer.

Original-Model-Aircraft-Plan-Powell-Ph-2-Racer-37.jpg

Powell-PH-2.jpg

thumbnail.jpeg.jpg

s-l400.jpg

po 2.jpg

I've build the Micro-Power-Pod with all electronic components on it out of balsa, foamboard and super glue. And boy, it's tiny :D

20190302_161451.jpg

20190303_125607.jpg

20190302_165036.jpg

20190303_125646.jpg

20190303_132357.jpg

20190303_132755.jpg

20190303_132819.jpg

20190303_133035.jpg

Then I've started to build a very light airframe and decided to do large cut Outs and a thin paper cover.

20190309_192658.jpg

20190330_180818.jpg

20190330_180827.jpg

Because I wasn't able to take the weight low enought, I decided to use undercambered wings wight a high profile for greater lift in combination with lower stal speed.

20190328_073127.jpg

Finaly I've finished it right on time an we were able to share it to explane how some adhesives work :D

20190401_092754.jpg

20190401_092838.jpg

20190401_092907.jpg

20190401_091640.jpg

Take a look: --> https://blog.weicon.de/adhesive-bonding-of-model-airplanes/?lang=en
Instagram: -->
Leave I like if you want to do me a favor :D

Unfortunately the wind made a flight for video impossible :(

So it is waiting, ready for the Moment of truth

20190401_130737.jpg

The glory and the Feeling of sucess I can earn however only after the successful first flight ;)

Will share the POV ASAP!!!

Bricks

Master member
I will never admit how proud I was of those two shots, from that far away. It didn't knock it down but what great shots. Glad there are no pictures my facial expression when I heard the arrow go THUD and there it was just sticking out of the bottom of the plane, still up the tree,

Next time tie a string to the arrow so you can pull on it to either hqve the plane come down or pull the arrow back to the ground for another shot. I use a fishing rod and reel with a wood block tied to it,when this happens to me.

sundown57

Legendary member
Next time tie a string to the arrow so you can pull on it to either hqve the plane come down or pull the arrow back to the ground for another shot. I use a fishing rod and reel with a wood block tied to it,when this happens to me.
i tried that , problem was there were trees all around with no clear spot to land the arrow. when i tied a string to it the arrow would land in some other tree then get hung up on the branches when i tried to pull it back. I lost 4 arrows in the trees. What did work was putting a tennis ball on the arrow. That didn't get hung up in the trees and made it back to the ground each time.

Bricks

Master member
i tried that , problem was there were trees all around with no clear spot to land the arrow. when i tied a string to it the arrow would land in some other tree then get hung up on the branches when i tried to pull it back. I lost 4 arrows in the trees. What did work was putting a tennis ball on the arrow. That didn't get hung up in the trees and made it back to the ground each time.

Se I did learn something today would of never thought about a tennis ball (y)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ahh, crashes.

I'm going to have to pull out my DVR'd video from this past weekend. We were doing a drone demo for our club, and I had some people who were on a "ride along" through a backup pair of goggles this past weekend. I was flying, and I gave them some treats of pulling powerloops, barrel rolls, and a mattyflip or two (climb high, and nose down into a full 360 loop, for those who aren't familiar with it).

Then I decided I'd try and run through some gates.

Turns out I have a hard time focusing on going THROUGH the gates; I kept aiming for the SIDE of the gates. Kept clipping the pool noodles on the side, didn't even break a prop or anything, but it looked HORRID when it happened, and I hear, "Oh $#!+!" from behind me just before impact. :)

MightyMike

Beautiful weather today! :cool:
20190415_175132.jpg

Great start but then the wind got gusty and I decide to perform a realy gently landing ;)

20190415_183137.jpg

I think now she's ready to get slaughtered … I will build the same airframe again because I love the way the Mighty Mini Sportster fly!!

I will a some Improvements like ...
… bbq-skewer reinforcement for the elevator
… smoothed edges on wings and tail
… protective coating on fuselage bottom side
… reinforced wingtips
… flaps

Did I've forget something that you can advice?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Beautiful weather today! :cool:
View attachment 129003

Great start but then the wind got gusty and I decide to perform a realy gently landing ;)

View attachment 129004

I think now she's ready to get slaughtered … I will build the same airframe again because I love the way the Mighty Mini Sportster fly!!

I will a some Improvements like ...
… bbq-skewer reinforcement for the elevator
… smoothed edges on wings and tail
… protective coating on fuselage bottom side
… reinforced wingtips
… flaps

Did I've forget something that you can advice?
From what the pics show the bird is fully and easily repaired.

For the wing tip reinforcement, (and ONLY if the bird can handle a little more weight), you could get some music wire, (small diameter), and then bend it to the wing tip shape/curve and glue it to the Edges of the wing tips. It not only helps reinforce them but it also helps them to keep their shape over time. When the bird is replaced/rebuilt the wire can be salvaged and reused.

Just a general tip in relation to windy and gusty conditions - Do not try to land slow as you will almost always end up with a stall when the wind gust disappears, (normally about 1 to 3 feet above the ground. Land hot and allow the bird to slide instead.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

MightyMike

From what the pics show the bird is fully and easily repaired.

For the wing tip reinforcement, (and ONLY if the bird can handle a little more weight), you could get some music wire, (small diameter), and then bend it to the wing tip shape/curve and glue it to the Edges of the wing tips. It not only helps reinforce them but it also helps them to keep their shape over time. When the bird is replaced/rebuilt the wire can be salvaged and reused.

Just a general tip in relation to windy and gusty conditions - Do not try to land slow as you will almost always end up with a stall when the wind gust disappears, (normally about 1 to 3 feet above the ground. Land hot and allow the bird to slide instead.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Unfortunately, it already consists of more glue than foam. Thats why I will replace it. Electronic Setup is great, so I will keep it.

Thank you for the tip, until now I didn't thought about musik wire! Last time I used bbq-skewers and glued them into the cuts of the crease line, worked out well!

I also found this one really good --> https://www.flitetest.com/articles/mini-sportster-landing-gear-repair-and-mod

Thank you for the tip with the hot landing, I will try it next time (y)

Hoomi

Master member
Also shared over in the "What Did You Crash Today?" topic. Yesterday, I crashed my Calypso. I let her get pretty low before trying to climb out again, and instead of climbing, she nosed over and slammed straight into the Arizona hard-pack. The Calypso was the first RC plane I ever bought, and I've been flying her for over a year and a half now. I figure, with a couple of BBQ skewers and some Gorilla Glue, she'll fly again.

P4151559.JPG