Crash support group

mayan

Legendary member
EE730529-6A3E-439E-A6BA-3A44FF359066.jpeg

You all will have to the check the video of it soon here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-edge-540-build.57470/page-4

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hi Pilots
Had some good weather flying on 4s 2200, 2700kv, 6x4 prop :) until i looped to low or the ground came up too quick lol
hot glue n some tape will pet her back together :)

You're going to fix that? I would probably build another one. I'm getting kind of persnickety about having pristine airplanes, lol.

Hoomi

Master member
Wow. That was fast. The Simple Storch kit is already here, so if I run into too much difficulty putting the Sensei back together, I have its replacement in hand.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
You know what really hurts? Crashing on takeoff on a DIY plane. I'll share my story of limited RC plane experience.

I am 16 years old. In 2010, I was taking guitar lessons. After completing a semester of lessons, my mom offered to buy me a treat (I was struggling with learning how to play guitar, so when I did good on my "final" she was proud.) I asked for a plane. At my local hobby shop, we bought the Hobby Zone Champ. It's yellow/orange, and it was a subject of a FT episode. Anyway, I was like 7 so my dad flew it. It got pretty beat up, and the tail section got severely compromised around 2013-ish. It stayed in the box until 2016 when I took it out to sorta check it out. Somehow, I folded the wing just holding it. You're probably getting bored of my story so Ill fast forward. In April 2018 I took it out again, and tried to fly it. It's accumulated damage took a toll. It flew terribly. I broke the prop off. With the shaft inside. Totaled. In September, I tried to get my mom to buy me a new 3 Channel plane(the FT Night Radian, hey it lights up, so I thought it was cool) About that time I started watching FT and learning about planes. I bought the Power Pack c in February of this year, but I needed an inexpensive TX. I got one. In April. So I went the stupid route and built a DIY plane. Crashed on my first flight. I had too much throws on my Ailerons and folded the wing. I kept crashing, so much that I had only 30 seconds of total air time. Anyway, I got tired of re building the nose, so I took a break. I built the tiny trainer but decided to fly the Speed Build FT LongEZ. On May 26, I went out to try it. Thrust angle was off. After 6 crashes or so, I finally got it right, and it flew. But, it crashed on landing. I tried again the next day. Same result. I posted a thread yesterday trying to figure out what I could do to make it fly right. Now I have built several Ft planes, but as static display models. Now, its time to fly. My Tiny trainer has seen limited success. Basically, I haven't seen much success. I'm hoping to change that. Maybe the Speed Build TT will change that, and I can learn how to fly. I have flown over 40 hours on an RC simulator. Only about 45 Seconds so far in Reality. Anyway I hope that I can get in the air soon!

I would love to fly an rc plane, as I've always loved flight. I've grown up next to an airport. My dad was an Army Blackhawk crew chief in the 80s. My Great Grandpa flew Spitfires in WWII as part of the Eagle squadron. My Grandpa worked for Boeing, He was kinda like an Aeronautical Engineer. Ive always wanted to be a Pilot Astronaut, first going to the Air Force. But my hobby is RC... anything that flies (I'm a heck of a good Drone pilot) For any of you who have made it this far, Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a great day!

mayan

Legendary member
You know what really hurts? Crashing on takeoff on a DIY plane. I'll share my story of limited RC plane experience.

I am 16 years old. In 2010, I was taking guitar lessons. After completing a semester of lessons, my mom offered to buy me a treat (I was struggling with learning how to play guitar, so when I did good on my "final" she was proud.) I asked for a plane. At my local hobby shop, we bought the Hobby Zone Champ. It's yellow/orange, and it was a subject of a FT episode. Anyway, I was like 7 so my dad flew it. It got pretty beat up, and the tail section got severely compromised around 2013-ish. It stayed in the box until 2016 when I took it out to sorta check it out. Somehow, I folded the wing just holding it. You're probably getting bored of my story so Ill fast forward. In April 2018 I took it out again, and tried to fly it. It's accumulated damage took a toll. It flew terribly. I broke the prop off. With the shaft inside. Totaled. In September, I tried to get my mom to buy me a new 3 Channel plane(the FT Night Radian, hey it lights up, so I thought it was cool) About that time I started watching FT and learning about planes. I bought the Power Pack c in February of this year, but I needed an inexpensive TX. I got one. In April. So I went the stupid route and built a DIY plane. Crashed on my first flight. I had too much throws on my Ailerons and folded the wing. I kept crashing, so much that I had only 30 seconds of total air time. Anyway, I got tired of re building the nose, so I took a break. I built the tiny trainer but decided to fly the Speed Build FT LongEZ. On May 26, I went out to try it. Thrust angle was off. After 6 crashes or so, I finally got it right, and it flew. But, it crashed on landing. I tried again the next day. Same result. I posted a thread yesterday trying to figure out what I could do to make it fly right. Now I have built several Ft planes, but as static display models. Now, its time to fly. My Tiny trainer has seen limited success. Basically, I haven't seen much success. I'm hoping to change that. Maybe the Speed Build TT will change that, and I can learn how to fly. I have flown over 40 hours on an RC simulator. Only about 45 Seconds so far in Reality. Anyway I hope that I can get in the air soon!

I would love to fly an rc plane, as I've always loved flight. I've grown up next to an airport. My dad was an Army Blackhawk crew chief in the 80s. My Great Grandpa flew Spitfires in WWII as part of the Eagle squadron. My Grandpa worked for Boeing, He was kinda like an Aeronautical Engineer. Ive always wanted to be a Pilot Astronaut, first going to the Air Force. But my hobby is RC... anything that flies (I'm a heck of a good Drone pilot) For any of you who have made it this far, Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a great day!
@Matthew Sanders welcome to the family. Don't worry about crashing it happened to most of us if not all of us. One tip I can give you after reading your whole post. Just don't give up you are on the right track, just practice.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
@Matthew Sanders welcome to the family. Don't worry about crashing it happened to most of us if not all of us. One tip I can give you after reading your whole post. Just don't give up you are on the right track, just practice.
Thank you for your advice! Do you have any recommendations on trainer planes, or set up? My scratch built TT has flown a little bit but not much. I'm probably going to get the Speed Build kit. Are there any other [inexpensive] trainer planes out there that you would recommend?

mayan

Legendary member
Thank you for your advice! Do you have any recommendations on trainer planes, or set up? My scratch built TT has flown a little bit but not much. I'm probably going to get the Speed Build kit. Are there any other [inexpensive] trainer planes out there that you would recommend?
The Tiny Trainer in my opinion is all one needs to get flying. That and persistence. Don’t be afraid to crash and don’t get put down by having to fix the damage or rebuild, it’s part of the process of learning. If you want a slow flyer something more relaxing then use a 2S 1000mah battery with the original Tiny Trainer setup.

Javiester

Elite member
[QUOTE = "Matthew Sanders, post: 477709, miembro: 42315"] ¡Gracias por tu consejo! ¿Tiene alguna recomendación sobre los aviones de entrenador, o configurar? Mi scratch construido TT ha volado un poco pero no mucho. Probablemente voy a conseguir el kit de velocidad de construcción. ¿Hay otros aviones de entrenamiento [baratos] que recomendaría? [/ QUOTE]

try the FT Flyer, it's helping me more than the TT

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm in full agreement with @mayan. You are doing it right, you've just got to persist over the bumps. We all have them. When the plane crashes and breaks, don't let the frustration get to you. At the end of the day, it's just cut out of foamboard and put together with hot glue. You'll get so accustomed to building and repair that what takes you an hour now will take ten minutes later down the road.

He's right about the TT as well. It's far from the only FT plane you can train on. Many of the models are great trainers. Many of us will tell you that the TT is the best of them though, for it's simplicity of build and repair, inexpensive powertrain, forgiving flight characteristics and room to grow and progress with your skill and experience level.

Remember the FT mantra: Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. The first time you're in the air for more than a minute, you'll find your soul soaring up there with the plane. Trust me, that feeling is worth every single crash and setback and then some! :)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I'm in full agreement with @mayan. You are doing it right, you've just got to persist over the bumps. We all have them. When the plane crashes and breaks, don't let the frustration get to you. At the end of the day, it's just cut out of foamboard and put together with hot glue. You'll get so accustomed to building and repair that what takes you an hour now will take ten minutes later down the road.

He's right about the TT as well. It's far from the only FT plane you can train on. Many of the models are great trainers. Many of us will tell you that the TT is the best of them though, for it's simplicity of build and repair, inexpensive powertrain, forgiving flight characteristics and room to grow and progress with your skill and experience level.

Remember the FT mantra: Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat. The first time you're in the air for more than a minute, you'll find your soul soaring up there with the plane. Trust me, that feeling is worth every single crash and setback and then some! :)
Thanks, buzzbomb, I'm looking forward to that flight!

kdobson83

Is this where people come to talk about their crashes? I hope so, cause I need to vent. No pictures tho as there was no damage. But don't let the lack of destruction deter you from contuing reading. Lol
I was flying my FT Gremlin on 2s in the court at my house. I was sitting on the step of the front porch while my kids and their friends ran around the yard/court playing. Don't send me hate emails, I was keeping a healthy distance from everyone. The wife and other kids parents were in the driveway, and our super energetic Australian Shepherd was chasing after me (easy way to get her exercise). Well, I'm on my second battery about 2 minutes in cruising up and down the court pushing it's speed limits ducking and weaving from the power lines when out of no where my 6 year old son YANKS my cheapo box style goggles right off my head! I was flying fast enough that I couldn't get a LOS lock on it and there was no way to put the goggles back on with them now in his hands... I pulled back on the sticks and hit the kill switch while holding my breath hoping not to hear a CrUnCh into a neighbors car or worse, a scream of a kid! Luckily, I heard a SMACK, the sound of it plowing into the pavement 50 feet away from any people. With sigh of relief and a growl of anger I got up and checked the wreckage. Luckily there was nothing wrong. Miraculously it fell from 20 feet up with dead props straight on to the concrete and only knocked the battery out from under the O-ring. If this isn't a testament to TJ's carbon Gremlin frame and to my 3d printed abs top plate/antenna protector I don't know what is.
Needless to say my son learned a lesson as well did I. While I felt confident in my ability to stay away from people I never thought about my crazy kid ripping my goggles off. 🤔😒

And since I mentioned him and haven't seen him lately, does anyone know what happened to TJ? I noticed him being absent from the videos 6months ago and asked him on one of his personal YouTube videos and he said he was still at FT but was busy with the store and other stuff. But since the store has move to Amain in CA, why has TJ not returned to the videos? I don't have FB so if this has been posted there I would missed it. Did he move on from FT? Move to CA with the store/production?

Jimun

Elite member
Another one bites the dust.
Looking good. The crash did not look that hard, but looks can be deceiving, ouch. I am building a speed build Explorer kit now and plan to have it ready in a week or 2. Maybe I will get lucking and get it done this weekend.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
got this guy back in my newbie days. actually thought i had ordered the mini, so when this showed up i was a little surprised. regrettably i was new and had a lot of issues with setting up the thrust diff and the CG. it flew 3 times, all three ended in a crash. after the last it became a wall flower.

View attachment 132164

View attachment 132165

lately i have been looking at it thinking it need to be fixed and flown. so today i pulled it down and did some repairs.

View attachment 132166

just need to build a few power pods, steal some motors and esc's, and life should be good!

not sure why i waited so long.

laters,

me :cool:

Nah man... She's got a dozen more good crashes in her!

My original cruiser is more duct tape than plane and it still flies!

PS: in my experience, FT Cruiser likes a LOT of nose weight...

Headbang

Master member
Looking good. The crash did not look that hard, but looks can be deceiving, ouch. I am building a speed build Explorer kit now and plan to have it ready in a week or 2. Maybe I will get lucking and get it done this weekend.
That was not me flying, I just did the filming. And the egging on. Lol