Crashed on Take-Off...twice!

dposthuma

I admit it, I am a novice. But I am experienced in building many mechanical and electrical things throughout my years. So, I decided to build the FliteTest Corsair. Build seemed to go fine. But I am experiencing a serious problem on take-off. On my first take-off attempt, the plane got three feet off the ground, and then suddenly cut hard to the left, back rolled, and crashed. I repaired the Corsair and after some counsel from an experienced pilot, lessoned the lead loading in the nose (I am using a 3-cell, the build video suggested lead may be needed to balance the plane). It seemed to balance well. Second take-off, made it to seven feet when the same radical left arc and back roll occurred resulting in a devastating crash. I had left all controls at normal position with a slight rear stabilizer up position for take-off. This behavior does not seem like common left-torque pulling because the behavior is so sudden and radical. Take-off was perfectly straight until it wasn't. Any helpful counsel???

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I admit it, I am a novice. But I am experienced in building many mechanical and electrical things throughout my years. So, I decided to build the FliteTest Corsair. Build seemed to go fine. But I am experiencing a serious problem on take-off. On my first take-off attempt, the plane got three feet off the ground, and then suddenly cut hard to the left, back rolled, and crashed. I repaired the Corsair and after some counsel from an experienced pilot, lessoned the lead loading in the nose (I am using a 3-cell, the build video suggested lead may be needed to balance the plane). It seemed to balance well. Second take-off, made it to seven feet when the same radical left arc and back roll occurred resulting in a devastating crash. I had left all controls at normal position with a slight rear stabilizer up position for take-off. This behavior does not seem like common left-torque pulling because the behavior is so sudden and radical. Take-off was perfectly straight until it wasn't. Any helpful counsel???
There could be a number of reasons for the plane's behavior. Firstly you could be too quick on increasing the throttle and at the same time taking off a little too soon. The result is that the plane will take off but the lift is marginal and the plane rolls to the heavy side and crashes. It could also roll due to "P" factor and crash.

The next reason could be something as simple as the Rx antennas being poorly situated and the Rx loses signal just as it has taken off. The result is the roll and crash! You need to ensure that when you do your range test that you do multiple range tests from various positions around the plane.

I teach my students here to practice their take offs so that they increase their throttle gradually and get the tail up on the plane and hold it there whilst also keeping the take off run straight with the rudder. When the throttle has reached full and the plane has more than adequate speed do they apply a slight amount of up elevator to cause the plane to rise gradually off of the ground.

By taking off at a high speed stalls, "P" factor, torque roll and other such aerodynamic issues are totally avoided. Once they understand the needs of the plane at take off I allow them to modify their take offs to suit their aircraft and their experience.

If you could supply a video of the problem a better diagnosis could be made!

Have fun!

moret

What receiver are you using ? I was using a new admiral receiver with a gyro. I forgot to set the gyro with the throws in the correct direction. If the plane rolled left, the gyro rolled it faster left. Tried to fly it twice fighting the plane all the way to the ground both times.. No wonder my local Dollar Tree run out of foam board.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The Corsair is a great plane but I would not recommend it as your first plane. As expressed above there are many possible causes for the problems you are experiencing. You will be better off to set the Corsair aside for the time being and start with a simpler plane.

I’d recommend the tiny trainer, simply cub, storch, bushwhacker or the explorer. They are much easier to fly and repair.

FDS

Elite member
Also are you ground launching? If so tail dragger warbirds are notorious for ground looping, try throw launching.
I would echo the above thoughts about trying a more forgiving design.