Creating Custom FT model for RealFlight

Well, slowly going along, here is a WIP shot of the FT Flyer... FT Flyer WIP1.jpg

BanditJacksRC

DANG!!

I'm super upset this thread never took off.
I downloaded the FT3D and thought it was great!
I just purchased RF7 and really enjoy playing with it. I have not tried any edits or creations as of yet, but do have some pretty good Sketchup skills, and am sure i can figure out how to make something pretty cool with the RF7 software.

Any advice you could give me? I plan to make a FT Spitfire for RF7. I have looked around (here and RCGroup) and havn't found anything FT related besides this FT3D and something that looks like the FT-22.

Once again I am sorry this thread didn't get more hits, and that I came to it a little late, but thank you for making this one. I really do like it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Glad you like my FT3D. Unfortunately Sketchup does not provide the correct formatting and tools to make RF models. HOWEVER you can make the initial 3D mesh with Sketchup. The other things, like mapping, pivots, naming etc... can be done by someone that knows how and has access to the software... like me.

BanditJacksRC

Yeah I didn't figure I would be able to make the full model with SU, just mentioning that I have some 3d like design experience.
I was playing around with RF last night and wanted to ask you about the software you used for the design process- What software is it that you use?
I havn't had RF for more that a couple weeks now, and havn't really played too much with it besides a few challanges and just flying around. At first I thought it has some basic design program included, but it does not seem that way (besides the edit for the planes that are included). Am I missing something? I was hoping you could give me some insight on what you used to make the FT-3D.
Thanks!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Making a custom model requires 3rd-party software. You can do everything in 3D Studio Max but its like drinking from a fire hose for beginners. I primarily model in Wings3D. Free program and quite easy to use. Exports to 3DS format which is much more friendly to import into Max. 3D Studio Max is required for a lot of other work to the 3D model. There are specific naming conventions to be followed for each part. For control surfaces and wheels, you have to set pivot points. Then you have to create a UV map for making the colorscheme. If you have gear doors those too will require pivots as well as NUP values to define their rotation and specify the axis of rotation. All of this then must be processed through their KEX plugin. The model can have no more than 25K polygons (defined as triangles) so you have to keep your modeling strategic.

AFTER THAT you then have to spend time in photoshop or GIMP making the colorscheme so the plane looks like something other than a solid color.

AFTER THAT you then have to setup the physics within RF to get it to fly realistically.

It is a very thorough process and takes a lot of time. I could easily scratch build 6 FT planes in the time it would take me to make one for RF.

BanditJacksRC

Wow, I knew it would take some time to create some models, but I had no idea of the extent.
I will download Wings 3D and play around with it. If I feel I can handle everything I will look into the 3D Studio Max.
I do have alot of down time at work, which I normally spend on SkUp.
Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.
I will be sure to let you know when I end up making something worth flying!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
AFTER THAT you then have to spend time in photoshop or GIMP making the colorscheme so the plane looks like something other than a solid color.

That is exactly why the FT planes I'm making for RC Desk Pilot are going to have editable color schemes. I suck at photoshop and coming up with a good scheme. After I release them I'm hoping to start a thread where people can share their schemes. So others that suck at that step can just download someone else's work and have a pretty plane.

brentg

Making a custom model requires 3rd-party software. You can do everything in 3D Studio Max but its like drinking from a fire hose for beginners. I primarily model in Wings3D. Free program and quite easy to use. Exports to 3DS format which is much more friendly to import into Max. 3D Studio Max is required for a lot of other work to the 3D model. There are specific naming conventions to be followed for each part. For control surfaces and wheels, you have to set pivot points. Then you have to create a UV map for making the colorscheme. If you have gear doors those too will require pivots as well as NUP values to define their rotation and specify the axis of rotation. All of this then must be processed through their KEX plugin. The model can have no more than 25K polygons (defined as triangles) so you have to keep your modeling strategic.

AFTER THAT you then have to setup the physics within RF to get it to fly realistically.

It is a very thorough process and takes a lot of time. I could easily scratch build 6 FT planes in the time it would take me to make one for RF.

Nice anology on scratch build...Glad to see you are still doing the RF modeling..I still visit the old stomp grounds sometimes, seems the same.:D Your post brings back memories of those endless time consuming days and nights.....;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
AMEN!! At this point in my life I'm more apt to make a 3D model only to slice it up and make a real plane. I started into RF modeling while I was in college. I was super poor and could not afford the hobby at all. I mean at all! RF was a good outlet to get me back in the hobby but also fly the planes I always dreamed of building. Since I like the really obscure stuff that almost nobody kits for it was a good fit. I learned a lot from it.

HawkMan

Has someone uploaded 3DS/Obj or another universal 3D file of the FT models they have built for various sims ? I was thinking of doing trying to make some models for Phoenix 5, and if someone else already did the models for some, then I wouldn't have to recreate the wheel in Max again.

Would be nice if we had a repository of 3D models for the various FT planes we could upload and share to when we make one.

rcspaceflight

Has someone uploaded 3DS/Obj or another universal 3D file of the FT models they have built for various sims ? I was thinking of doing trying to make some models for Phoenix 5, and if someone else already did the models for some, then I wouldn't have to recreate the wheel in Max again.

Would be nice if we had a repository of 3D models for the various FT planes we could upload and share to when we make one.

A while ago, when I first was trying to create add ons for RCDP, I found a free website that converts 3D model formats. I can use it to convert the .X files that I made for RCDP into 3DS or OBJ.

Here is the site: http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

Here is a test. It's the FT Viggen I made converted to 3DS (I didn't know if that or OBJ is better)((I included the .X texture but I don't know if that needs to be converted some how too.))(((And I included the original .X))): View attachment FT Viggen.zip

If that works, let me know. I lost all of the original Sketchup files for the first add ons I've made for RC Desk Pilot, but if that FT Viggen works, then I could certainly use that free site to convert all of the .X files to 3DS for the first batch of FT models I made.

rcspaceflight

I converted the x to .obj and that worked.

Awesome! 3D modeling can be the longest step of creating an add on. I admit that some of my 3D models aren't that great. The FT Viggen was a pain and is technically wrong, but it looks like an FT Viggen and that's all that matters.

I don't have Phoenix, so go ahead and convert all my .X files into Phoenix add ons.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Been awhile since this topic was discussed in earnest. Chiming in to see if new interest has piqued. The recent podcast from FTFF indicates that there may be some new interest here. I was building through the podcast so I only caught bits and pieces and missed this particular question.

rcspaceflight

Been awhile since this topic was discussed in earnest. Chiming in to see if new interest has piqued. The recent podcast from FTFF indicates that there may be some new interest here. I was building through the podcast so I only caught bits and pieces and missed this particular question.

I did buy Real Flight in hopes of eventually trying to make FT add ons for it. No promises or such, but I can see myself getting bored this winter and seeing what I can come up with.

I did once get bored enough to try to recreate Chad's house (the original flying field for the FT episodes) as a scenery for Real Flight. I may still try that, but it will be severely limited by the objects available and will only be a rough approximation. Mostly the tower will be "wrong" and the houses will all look the same and clearly be wrong. But I still think it would be a fun project and flying field.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I think if we can recruit Eric we could get a very nice panoramic of Fury field or even Chad's house. That would make for some fun flying fields.

rcspaceflight

I think if we can recruit Eric we could get a very nice panoramic of Fury field or even Chad's house. That would make for some fun flying fields.

There is a thread with a really nice panoramic of Chad's house, but I couldn't figure out how to add images to Real Flight to use them for a flying field. :confused:

Generally I prefer the 3D flying fields for the FPV option, so maybe a rough estimate of Chad's House would make a great flying field. I think the real issues I ran into when I first attempted it was that I didn't know how to use the scenery editor at the time.

I know it wouldn't be "correct", but maybe if I made a 3D flying field of Chad's House with Fury Field next door would be cool.