Creating Custom FT model for RealFlight

Dannyp1987

Flite test can you make the cad files available? Or 3d modelling files? Would make getting the models in realflight a much simpler process.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The vectored PDF plans are helpful but Josh B uses Corel which is a 2D raster based program. Peter does use a vectored CAD program... I forget which. Our plans generally come from the laser cut files... again 2D but the vectors are needed for precise laser positioning.

Dannyp1987

Anything that would keep me from having to manually measure all those dimensions would be a big time saver. Most things import into 3ds max. Turning 2d to 3d is not an issue.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Yeah it really is too bad there is not more of an interest in this.
I for one, would love to see just about everything FT makes end up in RF!
Not to mention photo fields of Chad's house, FT HQ and Fury Field full of Flite Fest folks! Wow. Say that 3 times fast.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Easy... Adobe reader... open the plans (full size) and use the measure tool. Since they are vectored PDFs drawn to size you can easily snap to the verts.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Here is a test. It's the FT Viggen I made converted to 3DS (I didn't know if that or OBJ is better)((I included the .X texture but I don't know if that needs to be converted some how too.))(((And I included the original .X))): View attachment 34811

Screwing around at lunch ...

Import to Sketchup and export for Wings3D. Import in Wings3D. Add depth to wings, V-stab, canards. Cleanup geometry errors. Cut elevons. Create thrust tube.

Attachments

• Vigg1.jpg
    Vigg1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1

CavRecon

This might make me switch to RF from Phoenix if more models start cropping up...or if it's easy to learn how to build them

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So, Slightly major issue. The KEX plugin for 3DSMax requires that you use no later than version 2012. Problem is... I'm now on Windows 10 which does not play nice due to W10 using .NET 4.6. See the issue here. That said, I'm not going to be able to get a texture on this on my own. KnifeEdge Software has not updated their software in years so I'm inclined to just let this aspect of the hobby die. They seem to have no interest in keeping their software at the cutting edge but only making a buck off of the latest fad.

I can apply a plain white texture but I will not be able to apply and configure the UVW unwrap so that David's nice color scheme can be used. Any interest?

Rasterize

Mentor
You could talk me into it.
I some textures for the WMPF Mako a few years back. Just have to remember how to do it. ;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Pretty easy. Apply the modifier and go into the UV editor. create a map of the object and place it on the part for the single bitmap file. I say easy... I've just done it so many times its 2nd nature to me.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm finally back down to part time, I would love to take 3D modeling a lot more seriously, but no promises I'd create any RF models. (Animation has always been something I've wanted to get into. If you don't know/remember, I'm the one that made a bunch of RC Desk Pilot add ons. Making model planes seems like a great way to start to learn some serious 3D animation software.)

I still want to learn Unity. Not that that will ever happen. :black_eyed:

Rasterize

Mentor
Pretty easy. Apply the modifier and go into the UV editor. create a map of the object and place it on the part for the single bitmap file. I say easy... I've just done it so many times its 2nd nature to me.

I have to say that doesn't sound familiar to me at all. :confused: I seem to remember some sort of bmp file that represented the parts of the aircraft which were all white. I remember color coding each part then loading it into RF. I could then see "what was what". I then went back into Photoshop and did my thing. Once I had a particular model figured out it was easy to come up with multiple color schemes.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, the KEX pluging requires everything to be mapped to a single .TGA (Targa) file. 4096x4096 is my preferred size for this as it is the maximum resolution allowable by RF. You can use the same map on multiple materials (matte, gloss, metalic, etc.) but only one map file. There are also Specific naming conventions for different features. ~CS_SBS is the "show both sides" material. So if you have a single plane it will show the material on both sides. ~CS_CANOPY is just that... for canopies and windows. This helps with transparent rendering in RF. There can be lots of errors if you do not use this on your windowed materials. Then there is the ~CS_BREAKAPART which will only show that material when the airplane breaks... so art that looks like ripped film covering and such only shows when the airplane crashes. I'll not go into bump (normal) and specular maps but they are optional as well. If you are a graphic arts person you probably are familiar with these terms.

I was planning on using David's artwork as it is already pretty square and at a very high resolution. The parts are already mapped out so it would just be a matter of mapping them out correctly within MAX. I was planning on using normal unwrapping or unfold wrapping so that the surfaces could just be scaled and positioned. It would save a lot of work and I could do it just a couple of hours... if Max was working right in Windows 10.

So basically you just select a part, apply the UVW Unwrap modifier and edit the UV map all within Max. You can select multiple parts (canards, wings, etc.) to cut down the time and make sure they are scaled exactly the same and positioned close to each other on the map. just select the parts before you apply the modifier.

I have the RF model flying pretty realistically at this point. Went with a 70mm EDF on 4S as that seemed to be the most favored setup when it was released. Weights and aerodynamic tweaks are in as well as mixing, rates, and expo. I have a couple of modifications to the 3D mesh to make still. I positioned the EDF too far forward so all of that geometry needs to be re-located. Pretty easy to just move the verts. I dont think I'll bother with smoothing groups. This is such an angular airplane that it really does not need them.

Rasterize

Mentor
I have the RF model flying pretty realistically at this point.

You will be posting this when done yes?

I was thinking if someone was to do these for FT planes, one might want to start with "trainer" aircraft since flight sims are traditionally for beginners to learn some basic on. Not that it's not great for all level pilots...
The Viggin counts as an EDF Trainer. :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It really does. If folks are OK with no graphics and no possible way to ever get them, then I can post it right now. Seems like this topic goes and comes. Split second interest followed by stunning silence.

Rasterize

Mentor
It really does. If folks are OK with no graphics and no possible way to ever get them, then I can post it right now. Seems like this topic goes and comes. Split second interest followed by stunning silence.

Split second interest>>>> I'd be interested. Stuck in a hotel room on Long Island. :p RF is nice to get a little stick time in.