Creating Custom FT model for RealFlight

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So to start this off I would like a general consensus of which one would be most popular. Punch it in here and I will chose. As a teaser I have included the power pod that I have already made. Any takers? I would love to have anyone from the FT crew to take a look at my physics once the plane is in the sim. This will help with accuracy obviously but would be good feedback before releasing it to the public. PP ESC view.JPG PP Motor view.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Hows this progress? just a couple hours in. Referencing the video of the build as I go.
Fuselage.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks! I think the baby blender would be more fun but the FT 3D is the latest released and is really not taking that much time to build. Cannot wait for the Twin to come out. I've always wanted a twin but I wanted one ont he cheap since I hear they can be finicky. Just never wanted to dump the money into it.

I just knocked out the H-stab and elevators in 20 minutes. The tail is done. Tail.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
3D model is complete. All servos, rods, and horns are on as well as a more appropriate motor. Gear is on with the "V" being placed on the inside. I would construct it that way anyways for cosmetics. Using 60mm wheels since it looks about right and the size is never mentioned. Final1.JPG Final2.JPG Final3.JPG
Moving into 3DS Max now for pivots, hierarchy, mapping and other finish work (ie. smoothing if needed).

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Pivots, hierarchy, smoothing, and import complete. I have a great start on the physics. I just took a 20x30 foam board and weighed it. Comes out to .007 oz / sq.in. With that I went back to wings and on each polygon I select I get an area. Add up the area and multiply by the weight and I get a very accurate weight for the physics setup. I've got the servo arms and rods animated and fairly high throws on all control surfaces. Dual rates will help with taming them if you so desire. Heading off to do the mapping next and do a basic color scheme.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks man. There are many others out there far better than me but This is just something I enjoy.

So, I am basically done. No fancy paint job. I did not even check paint alignment. But its basically like the one in the review.
nearly done.jpg
What I would really like is someone to review the flight physics. I am sure it needs a little tweaking. Unfortunately I cannot upload any sort of file here but please PM me an email and I can shoot it to you to import and try before I post it to the RF swap pages.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks man. There are many others out there far better than me but This is just something I enjoy.

So, I am basically done. No fancy paint job. I did not even check paint alignment. But its basically like the one in the review.

What I would really like is someone to review the flight physics. I am sure it needs a little tweaking. Unfortunately I cannot upload any sort of file here but please PM me an email and I can shoot it to you to import and try before I post it to the RF swap pages.

Are the flight characteristics fixed yet? Unfortunately I don't have RealFlight...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Given that there has been ZERO response to this I'll just post the model to the swaps and post a link here. Seems my work was a little in vain but I hope Someone has a good time with it.

rwhitlow

Thanks for your work.. I look forward to downloading it and trying it. Wish I could help you with the physics, but thats out of my league!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Mostly I need a person who has built the plane and has RF. This way they can do a comparison and give some pointers. They way I fly it in the sim looks to be about right from the videos. Now, I will admit I am no 3D modeler by any stretch. That is mostly why I would like input from someone else. Its a rather low-polygon model but it has several "pods" (physics things) that animate the servos and push rods. Its a visual gimmick and in no way reflects the flight.

rwhitlow

Ok. I have download the FT3D and did an initial flight.

Let me start with a bid thank you for this. This is way beyond my skills!

It flies great (better than my 3D). If I were to nitpick I would say:

1. That the CG is a little nose heavy compared to mine. - Helps with hovering.
2. The wing loading is a little light, compared to mine.
3. There is a lot more power than mine.

That being said, I will fly this plane often on my similator!

Thanks again!

Rich
Krzy4RC

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Given that there has been ZERO response to this I'll just post the model to the swaps and post a link here. Seems my work was a little in vain but I hope Someone has a good time with it.

Sorry you feel this way, your work deserves more attention than this... You could try posting it over at RCGroups.com for a bit of added enthusiasm.

I wish I had RF, I'd love to try your model out.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Try moving the battery around in the editor. You can move it along the Y-axis to change the CG just like the real one.
Weight was all an estimation. I did not have a real model to take weights from. I suspect I underestimated the amount of glue weight that would be added. Try adding a little weight to the fuselage component to increase wing loading. With a heavier weight power will be lost. I did not have all the specs on the motor they used so it was really my best guess on resistance and IO values. I'm glad that its close. My initial setups usually are but require some tweaks. Glad you like it.
Ok. I have download the FT3D and did an initial flight.

Let me start with a bid thank you for this. This is way beyond my skills!

It flies great (better than my 3D). If I were to nitpick I would say:

1. That the CG is a little nose heavy compared to mine. - Helps with hovering.
2. The wing loading is a little light, compared to mine.
3. There is a lot more power than mine.

That being said, I will fly this plane often on my similator!

Thanks again!

Rich
Krzy4RC

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
willsonman, I d/l the plane and flew it. While I have not built it I like the rendered model you have made. If the real flies close to the model on RF I will be building this one as I thought it was fun to fly and from what I have seen here on FT it takes a crash well.

I say good job, I will be flying it on RF quite often!

Thanks for the file!