Cross over between Open RC F1 and Flight Test electronics.

Dafud

First off Hello all. Now, i have been considering getting back into RC stuff with my 10 year old son. I am retired military and do not have a big budget to spend for electronics in the hobby, so here is the question. Can i buy a DX6 and a power pack from Flight Test and use them for the OpenRC F1 car that i can 3D print, then be able to switch over to a trainer plane for flying?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I no nothing about a OpenRC car.
If a FT power pack will work in a car, then there is no reason the components will not work in a plane.

Dafud

i guess that is the question i was asking. If anyone knows if the motors will work, along with the DX6 radio. Throttle being different because of reverse in a car.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1193309 for the car. I have attached a pdf of the rear assembly. The motor called for is a
540 Sensored Brushed Motor (35T is a suitable choice for motor size)
Shaft Diameter: 3.175mm
Working Voltage: 7.2V
Suitable ESC: QuicRun 1060.

Attachments

• Rear_Axle_Assembly.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Brushless motors aren't used much in RC cars unless they have a sensor package built in, as they tend to cog and lack torque at low RPM. It will probably work, but it won't be amazing ;) You will have to check to see if the ESC can be programmed to be reversible, I haven't seen much programming info on the FT ESC's. The radio system will work fine, though you may want to put the throttle on the pitch stick just so that it centers itself at 0 throttle.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The motor called for is a 540 Sensored Brushed Motor
A brushed motor uses a completely different ESC than used on the brushless motors used in the FT power pack. If you used a separate brushed ESC for the car, everything else should work.

tamuct01

I have both the OpenRC F1 car and plenty of aircraft as well. The recommendation for RC cars is quite a bit different than airplanes. The motors are typically sensored so that there is a feedback loop between the ESC and the motor to develop enough torque and rotation. Airplane ESCs and motors typically lack this feature as they are designed for lower torque and higher speed. Most of the RC cars use 2S LiPo batteries and aircraft are more commonly 3-6S or more depending on size.

A standard 2 stick "airplane" transmitter and receiver will work - there's some fine-tuning on the throttle that you need to do because typically cars have reversing ESCs with the stopped position at 1500us. Aircraft don't usually have reversing ESCs and have the stopped position at 1000us (2000us being the top end of the signal range).

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I recommend having a separate surface and air equipment. I have a little of both and the Flysky brand is relatively inexpensive and good for the beginner hobbyist. I have a Flysky surface transmitter with multiple receivers and works well for cars and boats.

Dafud

I have both the OpenRC F1 car and plenty of aircraft as well. The recommendation for RC cars is quite a bit different than airplanes. The motors are typically sensored so that there is a feedback loop between the ESC and the motor to develop enough torque and rotation. Airplane ESCs and motors typically lack this feature as they are designed for lower torque and higher speed. Most of the RC cars use 2S LiPo batteries and aircraft are more commonly 3-6S or more depending on size.

A standard 2 stick "airplane" transmitter and receiver will work - there's some fine-tuning on the throttle that you need to do because typically cars have reversing ESCs with the stopped position at 1500us. Aircraft don't usually have reversing ESCs and have the stopped position at 1000us (2000us being the top end of the signal range).

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I recommend having a separate surface and air equipment. I have a little of both and the Flysky brand is relatively inexpensive and good for the beginner hobbyist. I have a Flysky surface transmitter with multiple receivers and works well for cars and boats.
Thats kinda what i have come up with after asking here and continuing to research as much as i can. Ty everyone for your help. Great community here!