Cross Sectioned Foam Board

JasonEricAnderson

What about a hybrid technique that is more like the traditional balsa build up. What if you had DTFB cross sections and had maybe three or four BBQ skewers running the length of the fuselage? This way you wouldn't need to glue as much surface area, just the holes where foam sits on the skewers, you wouldn't need every cross section, 1/4" or 1/3" gaps maybe, and then you could skin the plane with paper or even wide tape strips?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I was thinking about it, and I think this technique would be really good for a fuselage for a smash drone or Bixler clone type of plane. I wanted to try this out as a replacement for hot wire cutting. I'm not sure how much 3" thick foam sheets are, but I know Dollar Tree Foam Board is cheap and it's easy for me to get. Plus, I don't know if I would use an entire sheet of the 3" stuff. DTFB would be easier to ensure that I don't buy more than I actually need, which would just be a waste. Anyways, I think it would be good to have a solid block of foam for the nose of a pusher trainer for rough landings and crashes.

I think a solid foam warbird would be good for the weight, warbirds are supposed to be heavy, but really great for combat. I don't fly combat, but a Bixler clone seems like a great idea. I'm not sure on the wings, but maybe a smaller 75% or 50% version might be sweet then I could just do a KF step airfoil.

I'm more excited about the prospect of a good pusher trainer than a warbird with this technique. I can just make up a design instead of trying to copy an existing one. It would be nice to be freewheeling the build and not trying to scale duplicate something.

I guess we'll see. But I thought I'd update my intentions with this. (I plan on using a spray glue to glue the foam sheets together. I'm not sure on the covering. I was going to say that I might not use any, but the foam would break off in a crash without some sort of covering.)

rockets4kids

I did something like this...

DSCN3056.JPG DSCN3063.JPG DSCN3072.JPG

The front section for the servos and battery were designed to be easily replaceable in the event of a crash. I don't think I took any pictures of that part.

Although it worked well, it is ugly as sin.