Crowdfunding for Skin Printer Input

What do you think I should name this venture?

• Flite Tats

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Flite Skins

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Rasterworks

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Skin Print

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sknz by Rasterize

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Plane Ink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flite Sknz

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Tay

Hi Stephen,
I would like to make a suggestion for you to work with FT to consider to have the FT Planes’ SKIN as a purchase option during the purchase of a FT Plane kit. Following are the benefits for this suggestion:

1. Buyer does not need to download the SKIN and travel to a place in order to print the SKIN
2. Buyer does not need to worry about error/mistake made during the printing of the SKIN
3. In some location / country, it is not easy / almost impossible to find a company which provide such service to print the downloaded SKIN
4. Buyer will have the SKIN that they want when they make a purchase of a FT Plane Kit. As such, Buyer will receive the FT Plane Kit together the the SKIN and allow they to start building the Plane with the SKIN, which save the time in getting the Plane for maiden :)
5. By putting the SKIN as an option of purchase, it will also help you to generate more transaction and thus funding for your projects.

I sincerely hope that you can really consider the above suggestion as a value proposition to contribute to the community :)

I look forward to be able to purchase a FT Plane together with an Option for the Skin

Thanks for reading and best regards.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Stephen, you know I will support you brother! I love what you do and what you bring to this community. If you put the crowdfund up, I'm all in!

little late for the vote but I'd vote RasterWorks (or RasterWerkz, or RasterWerx just to funk it up a little and make it unique). ;)

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi Stephen,
I would like to make a suggestion for you to work with FT to consider to have the FT Planes’ SKIN as a purchase option during the purchase of a FT Plane kit. I sincerely hope that you can really consider the above suggestion as a value proposition to contribute to the community :)
I look forward to be able to purchase a FT Plane together with an Option for the Skin
Thanks for reading and best regards.

Hi Mr. Tay! I can't agree with you more! FT is the decision maker herr though, not me. I would gladly work with them!

Rasterize

Mentor
Stephen, you know I will support you brother! I love what you do and what you bring to this community. If you put the crowdfund up, I'm all in!
little late for the vote but I'd vote RasterWorks (or RasterWerkz just to funk it up a little and make it unique). ;)

Thanks Sp0nz! Your support means a lot!

hdkeney

Rasterize, do you have any idea of a price estimate per skin yet?

I definitely would like to consider buying some skins ready to go because, so far, I don't have the resources to print out any, and I really don't know how to go about getting some skins for my planes.

Sometimes, very technically minded people don't realize that technically challenged folks need more help than others in doing what some would consider simple, straight forward tasks. As a consequence, since they don't how to go about doing the tasks, they just don't try rather than waste valuable time and money on doing something they are not sure of and or don't understand, even thought they would really like the end product if they could successfully do the tasks.

The above paragraph is just a thought...I think your skins are fantastic and I wish I knew how to go about getting some skins and putting them on my planes.

Rasterize

Mentor
Rasterize, do you have any idea of a price estimate per skin yet?

Hi hdkeney! Well it depends on the skin. So let's use the pic in my first post as an example. The FT Mustang "American Beauty". For the three 24"X36" full color sheets, my initial calculations would put it at around $29 shipped priority mail anywhere CONUS. International shipping would be on a quote by quote basis. A single 24"X36" (for a single FT Mighty Mini) $17 shipped CONUS. The primary variable would be ink coverage. Paper and shipping are fairly stable. By contrast, three different FT Mighty Minis (based on 1 sheet each) would cost about the same as one swappable. More pages but shipping is the same.

I definitely would like to consider buying some skins ready to go because, so far, I don't have the resources to print out any, and I really don't know how to go about getting some skins for my planes. Sometimes, very technically minded people don't realize that technically challenged folks need more help than others in doing what some would consider simple, straight forward tasks. As a consequence, since they don't how to go about doing the tasks, they just don't try rather than waste valuable time and money on doing something they are not sure of and or don't understand, even thought they would really like the end product if they could successfully do the tasks.

I completely understand.

Rasterize

Mentor
I know it's been awhile since I posted about this idea. I took a bit of a break from this subject to approach it from another angle and concentrated on just skinning and building a plane. You know, to stay in the loop and also to practice what I preach! It was an awesome learning experience and I had fun too!

So after listening to many folks out there, here is what I’m proposing:
If I can get 10 folks to go in for $100 a person, that would get enough to get this project going!

That leaves me with two questions:
What kind of reward?
and
Use a crowdfunding website like Kickstarter or just figure it out amongst ourselves?

As for rewards:
I believe some sort of “exclusivity” will have to be employed. I have several of my favorite planes coming up that will have awesome skins that will be used for rewards:
FT P40 Warhawk skin in Flying Tiger colors
FT Corsair Master Series skin with Pappy Boyington “Lucybelle”
Ben Harbers F16 skin in a TBD color scheme. (it’s ok with Ben. I asked.)
The Viggen Series
FT Mustang TBD color Scheme
One other plane TBD by the group.
Any two aircraft from the list above. Full plans and shipping included!
Add Exclusivity:Custom Editing: Make it truly your own! Want your name under the canopy? Done A different number? Done.
Don’t release the skin to the general public for a period of time.Name in Credits on reward skin pages that are released.
Free customer editing on any futured purchased skins.

As for using a crowdfunding website like Kickstart or just figure it out amongst ourselves:
Crowd funding sites will take a cut (usually 5%) but do offer a feeling of transparency and security.

Let me know what you think! I’d like to start this soon!

Michael9865

Elite member
.As for using a crowdfunding website like Kickstart or just figure it out amongst ourselves:
Crowd funding sites will take a cut (usually 5%) but do offer a feeling of transparency and security.

That 5%/cut is a rub for me. If I give I want the entirety of the gift to go to where it is intended. Just my personal opinion.
That being said, I like your project and plan.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I like the plan, and will invest, but I'd lean in favor of Kickstarter for two reasons.

First, you might be able to attract an even bigger audience. Things like the recent Autodesk Fusion 360 video tutorial on how to design foam board planes and the growing number of foam board flying projects in Instructable and Make and other online and print venues mean there are people getting exposed to this hobby who aren't here on the forums and potentially haven't found Flite Test yet either.

Second, with Kickstarter if you don't raise the target amount nobody gets charged. This way nobody feel weird or has a problem if you only get $350 from people and aren't able to buy the equipment without a larger personal investment than you were expecting. That scenario could put you in a potentially awkward position and I really don't want to see a scenario like that play out here in the forums.

As for the 5% cut, if the platform provides 5% of value to you and you have adjusted your target goals to account for that, I don't see any problems with it. As the person on the giving side of the transaction, I don't have any problem with it.

Also, I need that FT P-40 AVG skin in my life :D

Michael9865

Elite member
I like the plan, and will invest, but I'd lean in favor of Kickstarter for two reasons.

First, you might be able to attract an even bigger audience. Things like the recent Autodesk Fusion 360 video tutorial on how to design foam board planes and the growing number of foam board flying projects in Instructable and Make and other online and print venues mean there are people getting exposed to this hobby who aren't here on the forums and potentially haven't found Flite Test yet either.

Second, with Kickstarter if you don't raise the target amount nobody gets charged. This way nobody feel weird or has a problem if you only get $350 from people and aren't able to buy the equipment without a larger personal investment than you were expecting. That scenario could put you in a potentially awkward position and I really don't want to see a scenario like that play out here in the forums.

As for the 5% cut, if the platform provides 5% of value to you and you have adjusted your target goals to account for that, I don't see any problems with it. As the person on the giving side of the transaction, I don't have any problem with it.

Also, I need that FT P-40 AVG skin in my life :D

Well said/written, I now better understand your view and reasoning. The tutorial is a big help and very interesting.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I too like the kickstarter option, might be a tad more work on your end...

I have a large format printer already, but I would like to help support your endeavors and would definitely back if you had the option to purchase the PDFs without a hard copy (just a thought.)

Seahunter

I'm with the majority , I will support you in this whatever you decide. Watching for further instructions. Plan sounds good to me. Fred

Lufthouse

Just found this thread! This is an awesome idea! I’d be happy to contribute. I think kick starter is a great place to achieve this goal, and who knows...maybe you could wildly surpass your goal, and be able to afford one of those ridiculously expensive flat bed UV printers. I don’t know if you have settled on a name for your venture yet, but I think “Raster Wraps” would be sweet. I’m looking forward to your campaign.

Rasterize

Mentor
Just found this thread! This is an awesome idea! I’d be happy to contribute. I think kick starter is a great place to achieve this goal, and who knows...maybe you could wildly surpass your goal, and be able to afford one of those ridiculously expensive flat bed UV printers. I don’t know if you have settled on a name for your venture yet, but I think “Raster Wraps” would be sweet. I’m looking forward to your campaign.

Thanks for all the kind words Lufthouse! A flat bed printer would be the bomb! Unfortunatly you hit the nail on the head with "ridiculously expensive". I'll be happy to get a 24" wide inkjet!

Rasterize

Mentor
Kickstarter update: Spent this weekend working on the Kickstarter campaign. Who knew there was so much to do? A compelling video (their word not mine) is in the works, descriptions of rewards to write, the project itself to describe in word and pictures and more about me than I care to share. :p
Borrowing the title pic from my Skins Index Thread:
1553471561941.png

What do you think? Image is ok but the font is not doing it for me.