Cub build along

Captain Jay

Elite member
What happened? I can't watch... was I kicked out? I had to take a business call... that sucks if I was kicked out...

Captain Jay

Elite member
Well, that was fun. Helped kill a day stuck in the house. Thank you Josh and his family for hanging in there!!
Also, I'm long past simple high wing planes like the Cub and so many others. Not that the aren't fun, I'm just into other aircraft these days. I did hang out, watch and got entertained...
Thx again FT family

Last edited:

CapnBry

Elite member
PENCILS DOWN EVERYONE! So how far along did everyone get on their builds during the livestream?

Before
DSC06948.JPG

After
DSC06952.JPG

Still need to do the control linkage on the wing and put the motor on. The only motor I have available right now is a 2206 2400KV so I thiiiink I might able to get away with it on 4S and with a 5x3 or 6x3 prop.

The livestream was fun but hectic for me and hard to follow along if I hadn't already built one of these. The regular build videos are a lot more informative but this was more like building with a friend than an instructional video. I'd really like to see it split into two events, one for the wing and one for the fuselage so I can have time to catch up when installing the servos. That takes me the longest and I even forgot to put the servo horn actually ON the pushrod before I glued the servo horn on the elevator so I had to stare at it for 10 minutes to figure out how to fix it.

Tomorrow at noon we go into our shelter-in-place order, so I'm going to try to get it up in the air before then. Thanks to the whole Bixler family for coming together to bring us this. Josh said at the end "the right people together at the right time and it just comes together" (talking about the master series stuff) which I think makes it sound too much like luck. Being good people who are friendly and share their skills and ideas with the community is something the FliteTest family actively works at, and that's what creates situations where you'll meet people who grow the hobby together.

Michael9865

Elite member
Had fun with the Flite Test YouTube build along. It was so fun. The feed got laggy at times, but it was so worth having that much fun. I got mine done except for putting the motor on. #PlanedemicBuilding

5303EEC3-C726-4919-9603-151D300FC4A7.jpeg 3BBA2595-EAAD-403F-83E5-A635A5DB9075.jpeg

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
Had fun with the Flite Test YouTube build along. It was so fun. The feed got laggy at times, but it was so worth having that much fun. I got mine done except for putting the motor on. #PlanedemicBuilding

View attachment 163215 View attachment 163216
I watched along then decided after i was gonna build one so now I’m following along after the end of it...

CapnBry

Elite member
Wow, that is incredible! Not only did you finish yours but it looks like a cleaner build than mine. I ended up with a lot of extra glue in mine and more packing tape than I ever remember using in the past. Yours has landing gear too? Showoff! :)

EDIT: But at least mine has windows and GoFast(tm) tail stripe?
DSC06957.JPG

Sadly, my dihedral somehow came out a touch uneven and I almost ripped the front skewer out while putting the rubber bands on. Welp, easy come easy go!

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Wow, that is incredible! Not only did you finish yours but it looks like a cleaner build than mine. I ended up with a lot of extra glue in mine and more packing tape than I ever remember using in the past. Yours has landing gear too? Showoff! :)

EDIT: But at least mine has windows and GoFast(tm) tail stripe?

Sadly, my dihedral somehow came out a touch uneven and I almost ripped the front skewer out while putting the rubber bands on. Welp, easy come easy go!

Looks good. I want to print these to help save the trailing edge of the wing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549633

Outofround

The "build along" seemed to go very well. While I have built 3 Cubs before (both kits and from plans), it was very entertaining and to have Josh answer questions as he went was good. I am sure it went longer than originally intended and I have to commend the staff/family for working well through it. It was a good kit selection for the first time and to say the "staff" and Josh learned a lot from it is probably putting it mildly. The quick and personable instantaneous reactions just solidified the fun that can be had with a group build.
There are some obvious suggestions for subsequent broadcasts such as the real life circumstances of "where is the propeller..." and the reference to the neat and then cluttered workspace during a build. Now if that isn't "real life" I don't know what is? The idea of something even simpler to build, chuck gliders, that could be entertaining for entry level flyers would foster the concept of getting more people involved would be my suggestion. While you already have a strong following of experience builders, it would be nice to have more material to deal with youths in a younger STEM program - then again I am prejudiced because I am knee deep in supporting Scout programs.
It is a great hobby and thanks for making it even better (that includes your family)!

CapnBry

Elite member
Looks good. I want to print these to help save the trailing edge of the wing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549633
I've used popsicle sticks or bamboo skewers to shore up the trailing edge, but that still sort of relies on that single foam thickness not snapping and scrunching up. I did this on my 2m glider build and love it so I did it on the cub too, after almost ripping out the skewers on the first rubber band install.
DSC06960.JPG

Cut two rectangles out just aft of where the bottom of the wing ends, and thread the rubber bands through. I had to move the attachment point forward a bit, but it makes the rubber bands not have to stretch to the ultra-tight point, has a real solid 3x foam thickness attachment point, and retains the rubber bands when I take them off the front.

I'd love to come up with some sort of 3D printed bit that works on all these FT planes and gets away from stick through foam and paper held under tension with rubber bands that will possibly rip out in a cartwheel even if you reinforce it with some cut bits of plastic. Something that goes in and latches with half turn but still can break free in a crash. No idea how to achieve that though.

CapnBry

Elite member
the reference to the neat and then cluttered workspace during a build. Now if that isn't "real life" I don't know what is?
Haha when I said that I had just wondered how I have a TWO giant workbenches and yet somehow I am struggling to find a place to put the wing or any space to be able to cut a bit to be the pushrod guides. What a mess.

Michael9865

Elite member
The whole video was cool. I liked how “real” it was. How surprised he was at how many people “tuned in” and chatted. Answering questions and giving shout outs all while building memories with people that he/we may never meet in person. It was definitely a memorable event.

CapnBry

Elite member
Me too, I thought maybe a couple hundred people at the most but 1200 or so at one point? Amazing. The chat was going by so fast I don't know how anyone could read it. It might help to have a little more structure to it though so Josh can explain what he's doing, then as we're singing My Sunshine waiting for the glue to cool, we take a question and finish the answer before we go to the next step.

Looking forward to the new products he talked about too. I have been wanting a better glue gun (over my $7 special that is 25 years old) and they're going to have one. Gluesticks that are less rubbery and more Florida-proof? I am in. DTFB that is water resistant and with specially designed density for planes? Gimme! Do they have somewhere where they list the hobby stores that will carry their products? I'd love to shop local instead of shipping boxes of foam board across the country.

Also excited to get back to making planes that I can make on their channel. The big projects are pretty epic and amazing how fast they can put them together and work out the bugs, but I can't really participate in doing that so it is more of a show and less of a hobby for me.

CapnBry

Elite member
got mine built, I just need to finish it, It was fun, looking forward to more
Oh look at this fancy guy with his painted plane. Man that looks perfect too.

I maidened mine this morning and other than needing a little down trim and for me to not say "Eh, the FT guys are always conservative with their CGs, I'm sure this is fine. OH NO". The Samguk 2206 2400KV worked with a 6x4 prop on 3S with plenty of power, but I was pulling over 20A on my 18A ESC.
Check that landing at the end, I was at full throttle and that battery was DEAD after the 12 minutes of flight. I wonder how long I can fly... oh this is it right now.