Curious Question Open Transmitter

Bricks

Master member
I am a Spektrum guy but curious when looking at OT transmitters how does something like the Radiomaster 16 compare to the Horus transmitter.

stereodreieck86

I am a Spektrum guy but curious when looking at OT transmitters how does something like the Radiomaster 16 compare to the Horus transmitter.

There is only one answer; Sell your spectrum stuff and buy either a Radiomaster T18/similar or FrSky X10/12, maybe even X7S (which is what I use in combination with a tray as tray transmitter)

Radiomaster RX are cheap (I think 15 bucks) but reliable as FrSky RXs, Spectrum or ever other RX.
The Possibilities of OpenTX are endless, it's easy to use, regular updates are a thing! and the Layout is overall pretty clean.

Do you have more specific questions let me know.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I still have my DX8 for "BNF" models, but now that I have a multiprotocol module for my Taranis, That can really go bye bye. In hind sight, I wonder WHY it took me so long to make the switch. Open Source may take some initial learning of where things are, but once you make the initial transition, it is really easy to copy models, and bind to a different RX. 16 Channels easy with the older ACCST protocol, and 24 with the newer ACCESS protocol (FrSky only). I could go on and on bashing the closed environment, but it is much better to just throw my support behind the open environment. Closed environments have few benefits. Open have many!

If I were just starting out with a new FrSky, I'd probably get the Taranis X9D Plus 2019 SE Carbon Fiber. I currently have the older ACCST version but with better switches and the Hall Effect Gimbals.

I have not played with any of the other "open" radios, but the Radiomaster TX16S would be a close second. Especially if I was not going to fly Long Range at all, or wanted to use the TBS long range gear.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Radio master is a semi mid level radio that runs a "branded" version of Opentx good for the average joe pilot. Its mass produced and I'm pretty sure they are not super great components in them.

The Horus is the upper end Frsky offering for opentx. The Horus is a more higher skilled mid level to pro pilot radio and has much higher standard for the electronic components used.

Most people tend to flash the standardized opentx vs the branded ones as there is more support online. The only reason to use branded opentx is if you want plug and play fancy features for a specific receiver made to have a special function within that branded version of opentx.

Open tx is super versatile and not as hard to work with as everyone says. If you can read and follow instructions you can learn most of the features and how to manipulate them just as fast as learning spectrum or any other radio gear. If you spent more time disrupting class then participating and didn't really grasp the concept of reading comprehension then you will probably struggle like most people that hit middle school from the 90's forward that say its complicated.

@LitterBug seems we were typing answers at the same time hehe

stereodreieck86

I still have my DX8 for "BNF" models, but now that I have a multiprotocol module for my Taranis, That can really go bye bye. In hind sight, I wonder WHY it took me so long to make the switch. Open Source may take some initial learning of where things are, but once you make the initial transition, it is really easy to copy models, and bind to a different RX. 16 Channels easy with the older ACCST protocol, and 24 with the newer ACCESS protocol (FrSky only). I could go on and on bashing the closed environment, but it is much better to just throw my support behind the open environment. Closed environments have few benefits. Open have many!

If I were just starting out with a new FrSky, I'd probably get the Taranis X9D Plus 2019 SE Carbon Fiber. I currently have the older ACCST version but with better switches and the Hall Effect Gimbals.

I have not played with any of the other "open" radios, but the Radiomaster TX16S would be a close second. Especially if I was not going to fly Long Range at all, or wanted to use the TBS long range gear.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I disagree with you when it comes to the choice of transmitters you made. The X7S (ACCST) is way better bang (I got mine for 100bucks from Hobbyking) for the buck (hallgimbals and Bluetooth and bigger display).

Maybe the Jumper T18 or wait for a future Radiomaster Product.

A lot of people sell their ACCST TXs/RXs because they like to move on to Access or Crossfire which means used ACCST RX/TX are cheap right now.

Bricks

Master member
When I got back into RC again I started with a DX6 gen 2 and needing more channels I went to a DX9. Hearing so much about OT I was curious I actually bought a used Turnigy X9D and hated the way it felt and at that time could not wrap my head around OT and nobody around here was using OT so help was nonexistent, it got sold. Have a friend at the field who is now into and uses the Horus. To be honest there is nothing his Horus can do that my DX9 cannot, ( beside multiprotocol module no big deal to me ) but what kind of got me is the larger screen and I like the feel of the Horus, it is much like my DX9. So I have just been tossing around the idea of trying OT again and if I did the Horus is the only transmitter I would consider, all the rest of them feel like cr-p to me so they are basically out and that was my concern about even the Radiomaster.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I disagree with you when it comes to the choice of transmitters you made. The X7S (ACCST) is way better bang (I got mine for 100bucks from Hobbyking) for the buck (hallgimbals and Bluetooth and bigger display).

Maybe the Jumper T18 or wait for a future Radiomaster Product.

A lot of people sell their ACCST TXs/RXs because they like to move on to Access or Crossfire which means used ACCST RX/TX are cheap right now.
uhhhhh, I already have ACCT. why would I want a X7S? if I were to get a NEW one, it would be just as I stated and would start fresh with ACCESS rather than having to buy all new access gear yet again later..

LitterBug

Techno Nut
When I got back into RC again I started with a DX6 gen 2 and needing more channels I went to a DX9. Hearing so much about OT I was curious I actually bought a used Turnigy X9D and hated the way it felt and at that time could not wrap my head around OT and nobody around here was using OT so help was nonexistent, it got sold. Have a friend at the field who is now into and uses the Horus. To be honest there is nothing his Horus can do that my DX9 cannot, ( beside multiprotocol module no big deal to me ) but what kind of got me is the larger screen and I like the feel of the Horus, it is much like my DX9. So I have just been tossing around the idea of trying OT again and if I did the Horus is the only transmitter I would consider, all the rest of them feel like cr-p to me so they are basically out and that was my concern about even the Radiomaster.
I can bounce back and forth between my DX8 and X9D+ feeling almost no change. I mapped the primary 6 channels and switches the same so everything is basically in the same place. The hall effect gimbals are much nicer than the stock DX8 feel wise. feature wise.... Hands down OT wins by a long shot. I went from a DX6i to DX8 to the X9D, with a second DX6i in there for a bit when I ran out of model memories on the DX8.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole thing that makes OTX better then a proprietary system is there are more then one way to make the radio do something. For instance Global functions / variables. If you set up your gear to use the same switches for the same things, the same vocal call outs, the same timers, anything that carries over between your craft you set up there. then you just check a box on a new model and you just instantly set up a good portion of your profile.

with Lua Scripting you can manipulate settings for instance to make an auto launch sequence that sets pitch, throttle, any assistance devices like flight controllers to run automatically. Or you can program it so you can make changes to flight controllers in the field through your radio rather then bring a lap top.

Rockboy has come up with a thing that does vocal call outs for pattern flying for instance. I have my radio talk back to me in several different voices and it will also play songs I have converted to mono. Its fun doing flippy floppies in a quad trying to follow Iron Maidens "Aces High" ROLLIN rolling TURNIN turning DIVING diving coming in again rolling turning diving LIVE to fly FLY TO LIVE do or die

You can easily map several functions to one switch. Like on my quads I set up a switch that changes my pid profile and my rates with the flick of a switch between 3 separate and very different set ups.

Most proprietary set ups let you make one change per switch and limit the functionality. OTX is soo much more then just a radio to control servos. The Horus is a sweet radio and I wish I had the money to get one with ACCT while its still available to replace my Taranis x9D I modded with hall effect gimbals.. Oh yeah ANY radio you choose needs to have or get Hall Effect Gimbals. They make a poor pilot like myself look good they are so smooth.

dap35

Elite member
I've thought about making the move from Futaba 12K to an FrSky Horus. Do I have to replace the RX in my planes, or is there an option to keep those?

Bricks

Master member
Not huge deal but Spektrum has added forward programing to the DX series and you can map several switches to each or functions, add sounds or call outs ( not as extensive as OT ).. The newer series DX`s is nothing like your old DX8, just saying. My biggest complaint is the small screen on the Spektrums as I age it can get hard to see.

L Edge

Master member
Actually, most Tx systems have the same setup to handle the "average" flyer. It is when you get into the TECKY stuff, is where you need to look at each manufacture. If you want to do fancy stuff,the higher price TX and extra channels gets you more.

Want to do sequencing,(landing gear doors open, gear comes down, automatic,etc) or rotating light or gun turret turning.
How about normal flying, switch to bomb drop mode where when I pull the throttle back to 50% from 60% or more, it will open the analog channel(servo moves) and drop a bomb. No need to flip the bomb switch which gives better accuracy.
Newest in tecky development, found by reading the model manual, HH is developing an addition to the Safe Mode, an altitude device. Not out yet, but either the plane will land itself (or prevent crashes) or voice to you altitude to help you flare.

So, what system should you buy or is better than the rest, really depends what you are planning to do with it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not huge deal but Spektrum has added forward programing to the DX series and you can map several switches to each or functions, add sounds or call outs ( not as extensive as OT ).. The newer series DX`s is nothing like your old DX8, just saying. My biggest complaint is the small screen on the Spektrums as I age it can get hard to see.

Arent those the ones that require a cellphone or wifi connectivity as well to use all the features? I remember seeing one of their radios linked to the internet for really stupid stuff and people complained because it took minutes just to boot the radio?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've thought about making the move from Futaba 12K to an FrSky Horus. Do I have to replace the RX in my planes, or is there an option to keep those?
You can use a multiprotocol module to link up to just about any RX. The Radiomaster has that built in, but the JR modules that plug in the back of radios tend to have better range and replaceable antennas for better gain.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Actually, most Tx systems have the same setup to handle the "average" flyer. It is when you get into the TECKY stuff, is where you need to look at each manufacture. If you want to do fancy stuff,the higher price TX and extra channels gets you more.

Want to do sequencing,(landing gear doors open, gear comes down, automatic,etc) or rotating light or gun turret turning.
How about normal flying, switch to bomb drop mode where when I pull the throttle back to 50% from 60% or more, it will open the analog channel(servo moves) and drop a bomb. No need to flip the bomb switch which gives better accuracy.
Newest in tecky development, found by reading the model manual, HH is developing an addition to the Safe Mode, an altitude device. Not out yet, but either the plane will land itself (or prevent crashes) or voice to you altitude to help you flare.

So, what system should you buy or is better than the rest, really depends what you are planning to do with it.
For the most part, Open-TX is Open-TX. Where you get the benefits from $$$ is the quality and durability of the components.

L Edge

Master member
For the most part, Open-TX is Open-TX. Where you get the benefits from $$$ is the quality and durability of the components.

Agree with you on duribility and quality, my last JR/Spectrum TX lasted 12 years with all the bells and whistles. I dropped and smashed the screen, they no longer made parts, gave me $50 toward a new Spektrum radio. Even had the capability to go from 72 to 2.4 with plug in antenna for the JR.

Bricks

Master member

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got to use an IX-12 the other day and it was soooo nice! I'll be needing a new transmitter sometime in the near future since I'm getting into bigger gas stuff and my dx-7 isn't ideal. I still haven't decided which I'll be getting - it'll probably come down to the deals I can find on a particular model. I'll definitely be sticking with spektrum though.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah that IX system rates right up there with DJI digital in my book. You couldn't give me one. Bad enough I deal with constant bombardment of commercials online, on tv, on radio.. no way in #%#$ I will let it infect my fly time. You KNOW that's where its wiggling its way in. Wont be down with having to watch ads before I can boot my radio to fly uh uhh no way.. Id stop flying before crap like that is tolerated.