Current project....Mini Talon

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The next plane in the hanger is this Mini Talon. Has a Matek F405-Wing flight controller in it with GPS and a pan/tilt camera on the nose. Same motor as the Spitfire, Sunnysky 2216 1250Kv and an 8x6 APC prop. I've laminated it completely for protection, which was....fun? No, actually blooming difficult on the body. Still working on the VTX location and the receiver placement. Initially its going to have a FrSky 12channel XM+ but will change it to Crossfire later on.
IMG_20191019_164957959.jpg
Not scratch built but a whole lot of plane for the price!!

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The next plane in the hanger is this Mini Talon. Has a Matek F405-Wing flight controller in it with GPS and a pan/tilt camera on the nose. Same motor as the Spitfire, Sunnysky 2216 1250Kv and an 8x6 APC prop. I've laminated it completely for protection, which was....fun? No, actually blooming difficult on the body. Still working on the VTX location and the receiver placement. Initially its going to have a FrSky 12channel XM+ but will change it to Crossfire later on.
View attachment 145803
Not scratch built but a whole lot of plane for the price!!
Have you flown it yet?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I may try a test flight of the Mini Talon on Sunday. Line of sight, without the camera mount and VTX. Finished adding 3D printer bumper to nose and carbon fiber strip to rear skid/fin, both for landing protection.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
So I have ended up fitting the camera mount with its two axis swivel. The wind is looking stronger and stronger for tomorrow but I'm still hoping to maiden it. I have channels 9 & 10 feeding straight through the flight controller for the camera pointing and will have a head tracker eventually feeding into the transmitter to control that. For the moment, it's on the two rotary controls and I've set a failsafe switch which will lock the camera straight and forward if thrown.
IMG_20191026_124309237.jpg IMG_20191026_124303957.jpg

Last edited:

IanSR

4, or 6 inch Spanner? Asking because I was surprised someone else would actually do that.

LOL there's more of us that do daft things like that than you'd think.

A guy in our club put a pan/tilt on his wing with head tracking control, he's fallen off the chair a few times looking down at us for the wing as he's flown overhead so be careful of that, it brings a whole new meaning to faceplant.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
LOL there's more of us that do daft things like that than you'd think.

A guy in our club put a pan/tilt on his wing with head tracking control, he's fallen off the chair a few times looking down at us for the wing as he's flown overhead so be careful of that, it brings a whole new meaning to faceplant.
Flying acro quads has made me pretty good at disconnecting my body movements from what I'm seeing :)

man-bot

You mean you have become immune to doing the Stevie Wonder bob n weave dance when flying? You will have to teach me as I still nearly fall off the bench when I am really pushing my flying hehe.

man-bot

I dont rock n roll much anymore but I do find I have to pay attention to where my head turns. More then one occasion my fingers have gone all tingly when my head gets twisted too far against my neck fusion. That or the FPV stare at your feet thing. Im not sure why that happens on mostly level (ish) flight