Curtiss P-40b Warhawk

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I use plastic gift card material cut to the dimensions of a FT mini control horn

(like a used gift card)

+1 on that. old, black DVD case work good too. use your control wire, heat it up, poke a hole through the horn to match. almost magic!

Timmychanga

I have figured out that in order to have a scale propeller, it needs to have a 7" diameter. Unfortunately, that is too big for the Power pack F motor. how do I figure out what size motor to use, and what pitch to give the prop? (This is my first scratch build, so I am very ignorant about how to match up electronics;))

Timmychanga

My problem is that in order to make the prop scale to the rest of the plane, I need to make it a 7" prop; And, as far as I know, the MT2204 motor (the one that comes with power pack F) can only swing a 6" prop. Will the propeller being an inch small affect the look of the plane enough for it to be a problem?

smithhayward

Large Child
My problem is that in order to make the prop scale to the rest of the plane, I need to make it a 7" prop; And, as far as I know, the MT2204 motor (the one that comes with power pack F) can only swing a 6" prop. Will the propeller being an inch small affect the look of the plane enough for it to be a problem?

I would say no. Especially in the air when it's rotating at 7,000 RPM. You can do what others often do, when it's on display (like at an airshow or waiting to be flown) you can put a scale 3-4 blade prop on it (my P-40B has a 4-blade) but then just swap it to fly.

I have the FMS 980mm P-40B. It runs on 4S and a 70AMP ESC and it's a handful - I'm still not qualified to fly her, though I've been certified in crashing her twice.

I'll be watching - a small P-40B is right up my alley and I have a few 3S 850mAh packs lying around looking for a mate.

Timmychanga

Thanks. Currently for the plans, I have been doing a rough sketch in a 3d modeling software (called Blender), measuring the sides, angles, and (for the curvy parts) measuring the length at certain intervals and free handing it, so most of my plans would be gibberish to anyone but me. If there is an easy way to draw up plans that can be put in PDF form and printed out, I would be interested in knowing about it:).

smithhayward

Large Child
Thanks. Currently for the plans, I have been doing a rough sketch in a 3d modeling software (called Blender), measuring the sides, angles, and (for the curvy parts) measuring the length at certain intervals and free handing it, so most of my plans would be gibberish to anyone but me. If there is an easy way to draw up plans that can be put in PDF form and printed out, I would be interested in knowing about it:).

I work extensively in Blender for both 3D printing design and photorealistic rendering. I am still working on the process by which I could take a 3D form (mesh) of a DTFB type design and get it out into a 2D form (via Unwrapping) so I can cut parts either manually or via laser. If you're interested go start a new thread and we can work on this together outside of the context of this build of yours.

I think it's going to come down to working with SEAMS and unwrapping, then outputting the unwrapped textures (I think there's a way to mark a clean image with the outlines of the texture/wrap) and then get it into a 2D-CAD program (I use and like LibreCAD - it's free). The last step would be to scale it so that key dimensions are accurate then do some test cuts (or prints and tape togethers).

Nate J

That's awesome to hear from another Blender user!!! My process is building the airframe completely in 3D, use the solidify modifier to get the thicknesses right for the folds, and use shape keys to "unwrap" the mesh til its flat. Then I take a snapshot of the unwrapped wireframe mesh and write the dimensions on the page. Worked beautifully for my Cessna.

Nate J

If you turn on the units in the scene properties, you can check a box that displays edge lengths so the dimensions are all correct too.

Timmychanga

I Just made my Mighty Mini Arrow into two half-arrows.
My new thing!.JPG
So I will have to postpone my p-40 until I have rebuilt my arrow (which should only take two or three days).
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Timmychanga

Update: I have pretty much completely scrapped my fuselage old design. I have decided to stay as close to the mighty mini mustang as possible, only changing the shape of it to match the p-40. I have re-cut the fuselage, using the plans for the mini mustang, but changing to shape to look like a p-40. I did not change the tail at all. i am currently working on building the wing. as soon as I get the electronics, I hope to assemble the fuselage, tail, and wing. From there, all I have to do is design the top of the fuselage (I think it is called the turtle deck) and then figure out a way to make it into plans.:D

Last edited: