Curtiss P-40b Warhawk

Fixed gear that can be removed. If you glue a piece of foam that resembles the retract "doors", it will look amazing on both the ground and the air.

Timmychanga

I finished the wing :D I might add landing gear, but I don't really like the look of a plane when its flying with its landing gear down (especially warbirds), so if I do have landing gear, it will have to be removable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
wing pic 1.jpg
wing pic 2.jpg
wing pic 3.jpg
wing pic 4.jpg
I cut the area where the wings join a little off, so i had to put a BBQ skewer in the crack to fill it in :).

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
couple of magnetic hatches (probably large) that you can put on the bottom of the airplane? one with gear, one without? that could work, and it'd make it wasy to change the battery if you mounted the batt on the hatch.

Removable gear.JPG

took me way too long to draw that. but I hope you can see what I'm trying to say here. I've never done this, but I think it would work.

Timmychanga

Also, since I'm using the mighty mini mustang design and just changing the shape, I was going to have the top battery hatch just like the mustang, and maybe replacing the BBQ skewer with a magnet or two.

Timmychanga

I finally finished it!! sorry that I haven't updated since October, but what with school and other things piling up, this project got put on the back burner. But I have been working on it little by little (sorry, no pictures of it being built), and have finally finished it!
IMG_7868[1].JPG
The finished plane along with the model I am basing it on.

IMG_7869[1].JPG
Top view

IMG_7870[1].JPG
Side view

IMG_7871[1].JPG
With hatch

IMG_7873[1].JPG
Without hatch

IMG_7874[1].JPG
The bowels of the plane

IMG_7875[1].JPG
Bottom view

IMG_7878[1].JPG
The model that I am basing it on.

As you can see I decided against any form of landing gear for three reasons: First, because one of the main reasons for making this a mini-size plane was to make it portable (I strap in on a backpack and bike to where I fly, because I can't drive); second, because I hardly ever fly where landing gear on this size plane would do any good (long grass); and third, I really don't like the look of a warbird flying with its undercarriage out (that is nothing more than my opinion).

All things considered (this being my first design, and only my third scratch build, etc.), I think that this went pretty well. There is still snow on the ground here, so I will not be maidening it tomorrow. However, I hope to maiden it before or during this weekend. Hopefully I won't crash it on takeoff:D

P.S. If you guys have any tips on painting it, I would be glad to hear them. So far I have used Permanent marker and spray paint (on an old speedster) and both methods worked well, but i am open to other methods of painting too.

Timmychanga

maybe, but probably not. The way I made it was just printing out the Mini Mustang plans and tweaking them on paper. If you have any suggestions for a way to get that onto the computer, I would love to hear it! Also, I STILL HAVEN'T MAIDENED IT YET!!:( It is always too cold or too windy. I was hoping for some better weather this weekend because I have time to fly, but then it started snowing, with no prediction of warming up until next Thursday. Once the elements stop conspiring against me, I will try to maiden it as soon as possible.

DMC RC

DMC RC
The P-40 looks great so far, I want to start making more of these "companion planes" for the Mini Mustang and Corsair. My ideas list so far:
I. VG.33c-1
II. Sea Hurricane Mk Ic
III. Ki-61
IV. Yak-3
V. LA-5
VI. F4F Wildcat
VII. He 100 D-1
VIII. Seafire (Griffon Powered)

Cant wait to see how the '40 flies! ;)

Timmychanga

So, I finally got a chance to maiden it. However, on takeoff something (I still haven't figured out what) went wrong, and the plane nose-dived into the ground right after I launched it, messing up the nose pretty badly. I have decided to rebuild it for four reasons: First, the nose was crumpled up enough that it was not sturdy anymore; second, the precision of the build was not very good to begin with; third, there is apparently a loose wire in one of the wings, causing that aileron to stop working sporadically; and lastly, my brother and I just purchased a pack of the brown waterproof foam board, so the plane would need very little painting to look like a stock p-40.