Solved Custom Graphics made EASY

jtuttle11

I have found a way to create custom graphics for our models using only the windows 'Paint' program and self adhesive label paper.
The brand of paper is 'Avery' and it can be found at places like Staples and Wal-Mart. The paper comes in Clear and Opaque White sheets and is available in Full Sheets or perforated to create smaller labels.
Let's Get STARTED ! !
Open the Paint program in Windows, Then you can import images you have saved as PDF files. You can modify these or Create your own in Paint.
I started with the Text and then added the other graphics. When you have them laid out as you want, you can do a 'Print Preview to see how it is going to look as the final product. If you want to make changes, close the print preview and go back to paint and make your changes.
The Print Paper is placed in with the printing up and visible. just hit PRINT and in a very short time you have what you want.
just to show.jpg

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
MS Paint does indeed work for this. Especially if you are going for simple images, or shrinking and reprinting images that already exist.

If you really want to get creative though, I would recommend getting Photoshop Elements which you can pick up for about $75usd or G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which is free. I like Photoshop better myself, but GIMP is just as powerful and the price is hard to beat.

A place called Online Labels has all kinds of different adhesive paper as well. Matte, gloss, clear, etc. They also have a selection of each that works with laserjets as well. I just ordered some gloss clear laser paper the other day to test with. I guess it has a special coating that seals the toner and makes the label or decal water/smudge proof. (y)

I will report back with my findings later.

jtuttle11

MS Paint does indeed work for this. Especially if you are going for simple images, or shrinking and reprinting images that already exist.

If you really want to get creative though, I would recommend getting Photoshop Elements which you can pick up for about $75usd or G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which is free. I like Photoshop better myself, but GIMP is just as powerful and the price is hard to beat.

A place called Online Labels has all kinds of different adhesive paper as well. Matte, gloss, clear, etc. They also have a selection of each that works with laserjets as well. I just ordered some gloss clear laser paper the other day to test with. I guess it has a special coating that seals the toner and makes the label or decal water/smudge proof. (y)

I will report back with my findings later.
I also have Adobe Photo Shop elements, However I have found that the version 2019 doesn't allow me to create color schemes for My RealFlight and I haven't tried it for creating graphics from scratch.
I'll have to give it a try. I have used the 'OLD' P.S. elements version 2.0 with success in RealFlight.
As for the paper, I do believe the Avery comes in Both 'Ink Jet' and Laser print versions. The Paint program allows me to create Texts and import images to the final design.
I'm surprised more people haven't done this. The Avery can be found at your 'Local' store in the computer paper section saving the time waiting on the USPS. LOL

Namactual

Elite member
There should be no difference in file types between Photoshop versions. What file type is Real Flight looking for? .png .tga .jpg .dds? I am sure Photoshop can export the file Real Flight is looking for if MS Paint can.

jtuttle11

There should be no difference in file types between Photoshop versions. What file type is Real Flight looking for? .png .tga .jpg .dds? I am sure Photoshop can export the file Real Flight is looking for if MS Paint can.
Photoshop 2019 no longer supports the .tga file types which Realflight recognizes, MS paint never did recognize .tga files. I'm beginning to experiment with photoshop 2.0 in creating graphics for projects. There is a lot of cool graphics art out there that would make great Nose Art.

Namactual

Elite member
Wow, I did not even notice they dropped .tga support. That was a strange thing to do.:unsure:
In any event, that wold be a good reason to try GIMP. It is pretty much Photoshop with an alien interface. You could use it strictly for file conversion until you got used to the interface though.

Save an image as just about any file type in Photoshop Elements 19. Open with GIMP and save it as a .tga and you should be good to go.(y)

Namactual

Elite member
Vectors do have their perks. The ability to scale them up without detail loss is probably the biggest, but a comparable lower file size is great as well.

You can do a lot more with rasters though. Especially the ability to replicate traditional real world painting techniques. I use vectors to do a lot of ground work for my skins, but once the painting starts I convert them to rasters.

jtuttle11

All good ideas, My point is 'Using what you already have' without going to the extra expense of aquireing a more sophisticated graphics program. Paint is included with Windows and is Very easy to use.

jtuttle11

RealFlight REQUIRES that you save the files you want to create as a .tga file, It won't recognize any other file format. Unfortunately, the newest version of Photoshop )2019) no longer supports the .tga file format.