Custom heavy lift AP Quad

jipp

i did not even think of the weight on larger quads.. as i do want to build a 680 size ap down the road.. i would not of thought of tuning with added weight etc..

also 15" is huge for a prop. i think i would go with maybe 12" but i guess the larger the prop the more efficient and longer flight time.
i guess the nice thing.. the chance of crashing these larger ones is not as big as a mini.. as you are gonna play it safe with a larger more expensive quad.. plus id think the larger frame would make it easier to handle.. compared to a nimble little guy which can be twitchy.
chris.

chris.

nilsen

Desync

So Guys, I added some weight to the craft the other day to test it a little more realistically and I just couldn't get it to take off, but later realised that something was happening so I setup this bench test:

Desync!

This is BLHeli 13.1 on the Turnigy multistar 45Amp ESC's.

Any suggestions?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Wow, desync on that slow of a motor...though they are high pole count (how many poles on those exactly...looks like a lot) so that means the effective rate the ESC has to keep up with is higher even though the KV of the motor is lower.

You could try BLHeli 14. Exactly which motors/ESC's are you running again?

nilsen

nilsen

The weather has changed and it was -8degrees c today (17f) so it's time to "get back to the bench" and to resurrect the project.

Ok so after a flight where a prop came flying off in mid flight I decided to rebuild the copter with thicker CF arms and to bring it into the X8 realm as I realised with the camera and gimbal I'd be hovering at around 80% throttle and I don't like to stress components like that, rather too much than borderline.

This was always meant to be an X8 so here we go:

I ordered the dual motor mounts and 25mm CF tube plus the tube clamps and some other misc bits including 4 more ZTW spider 40 amp ESC's.

Arms with motors attached and a rubber duckie antenna for perspective.

X8-1.jpg

Each arm is heavy!

Close up of the hardware.
X8-2.jpg

Base plate which is a little small but these are the clamps. I had to drill a lot of new holes to make an x and fit properly.
X8-3.jpg

Rubber grommets for mounting the tubes which the gimbal attaches to
X8-4.jpg

Gimbal YAW motor
X8-5.jpg

A motor pair
X8-6.jpg

Retractable landing gear mounting bracket, more custom drilling
X8-7.jpg

The plate for the landing gear
X8-8.jpg

My PDB, one for +, one for -
X8-9.jpg

Plus all soldered
X8-10.jpg

A wire sandwich.
X8-11.jpg

She ain't pretty but space is severely limited
X8-12.jpg

The separator, an old credit card and some foam plus canvas material on both sides of the foam
X8-13.jpg

All attached
X8-14.jpg

So I will post more pictures as she comes together.

I will be using a pixfalcon as I trust APM and it has 8 outputs (many others do too but I know APM quite well), it's on the boat from HK and as soon as it arrives I will continue.

nilsen

It's has been raining so I had time and motivation to finish the heavy life x8.

Here is the first video of a test spin.

This thing scares me like mad, I will have a very nervous test hover as soon as the weather is good and I have time.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
That is indeed a sizable monster and definitely in the severe injury realm. . .

Once you weight it down with a decent payload, it will be even more deadly. Be careful.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
nilsen, why do you always have the coolest builds? Looks like you've built another magnificent machine. I've been dreaming up my own heavy lift multirotor for a few months now, but I don't have a payload to justify it. I just love the presence the larger machines have in the air.

nilsen

That is indeed a sizable monster and definitely in the severe injury realm. . .

Once you weight it down with a decent payload, it will be even more deadly. Be careful.

Absolutely right, this really scares me, with the gimbal and that battery it'll probably be 5kg (11 lbs) so I am genuninely scared if it falls, needless to say I will never fly this around people. This is purely for AP with a NEX sized camera.

nilsen, why do you always have the coolest builds? Looks like you've built another magnificent machine. I've been dreaming up my own heavy lift multirotor for a few months now, but I don't have a payload to justify it. I just love the presence the larger machines have in the air.

Thanks Snarls, I had the parts lying around for ages and simply wanted to get it all up and running, It's going to be carrying the GHT 3-axis gimbal with a sony a6000. I can't wait to test it but am nervous.