Custom Installing Retracts

fwa2500

Ramp Rat
that really turned out nice. good work, guys! now if only there was some way to do retract on my micro trojan...

sandblaster

Beautiful, just beautiful. Great mod for the more experienced, Both Josh's flew and landed. Great show of planes ability, love the retracts added to the plane.

John Campbell

Great Job guys... Job Well Done! Really enjoyed the episode, but one correction to put forward.

The T-28 from Parkzone is one of my favorites that I have a spare one still in the box for when the plane goes into the final rekit phase of a/c history.

Josh Bixler stated that he has never seen the landing gear come off with out severe damage to the wing. I must say that this a/c is extremely durable. I have knocked my gear off a couple of times before I epoxied them in, never any wing damage. Me and a friend were both flying the Parkzone T-28's and we had a Head On Collision. Took one of his gear off (never found, but spares close by) and took a chunk out of my wing. Both planes made successful landings, and were back in the air in 10 minutes.

Thanks Josh Bixler (and Chad) for allowing Josh Scott to fly. It was good to see his progress... I wish some of my earlier landings were as good as his with the Trojan. Congrats to Josh Scott.

If I had to get rid of all but one of my planes, I think it would have to keep this one. It flies great, and better than a timex... "Takes a Lick'in and Keeps On Tick'in". See below for damage mine has sustained.

T28-Damage-1.JPG
From Head on collison with another Trojan, Prop took chunk out of wing. Both planes continued to fly and landed without further damage. Spare Parkzone foam from other incident :rolleyes: repair cost was $0.00

T28-Damage-2.JPG
Landing Gear had trouble staying on with my early days of flying. EPOXY solved the problem. The original glue just did not seem to hold up.

T28-Damage-3.JPG
I had a servo failure that caused one aileron to go full deflection and cart wheeled ripping the wing off the plane. All foam was saved, glued back in place, ready to fly next day with New Servo.

T28-Damage-4.JPG
Landing on a paved runway, I many times would scrape the wing tips, Found some wing skids from HK, glued them in place, and worked great ever since.

BTW, My Trojan is about 3 years old, and was my 2nd plane (Gift from friend). Plane still files just as good as the day in came out of the box.

fwa2500

Ramp Rat
oh, i take the gear off when im over grass, but over pavement it just looks kinda silly with the gear down the whole time (and id rather not shred the belly on the pavement). that said, i absolutely LOVE my micro trojan, it never lets me down, even when i feel adventurous and fly in 8kt winds :p

of topic, but any reason in particular you have a DL connection CRJ as your avatar?

Pilot-294

i wanna do this with my corsair, but i don't know if the wing is thick enough... any suggestions?

its the park zone corsair no mods or anything (yet) and i love the way it flies gear off, love the way it lands gear on... so now its time for retracts. but i don't wanna cut the wing too thin, or have gear sticking out the bottom far at all... I'm stuck haha

John Campbell

i wanna do this with my corsair, but i don't know if the wing is thick enough... any suggestions?

its the park zone corsair no mods or anything (yet) and i love the way it flies gear off, love the way it lands gear on... so now its time for retracts. but i don't wanna cut the wing too thin, or have gear sticking out the bottom far at all... I'm stuck haha

Keep in mind that the Corsair Gear goes aft. Aft would be way too thin. If you swing them inboard then you are going to have Gull Wing Issues. Only option would be to have them to retract outboard and that would not look scale. If scale makes no difference to you, then go for it. Would probably work fine, a little wheel sticking down may be required to keep from destroying the top of the wing.

Good luck and let us know. (Take Pics)

Klonas

Since F4U retracts fold not like other plane retracts you'd need turning retracts if you want it to look scale. (maybe turning is possible by adding a seperate servo somehow?)

Great episode BTW
I liked that you explained everything, how important is make retracts the same level as stock and to check the CG. Also happy that you let Josh S. Fly :)

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Great mod....really adds to the flying profile of the plane in flight if you can retract the gear
as always a great show and JS that was a great test of there durability he knew what he was doing!!!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
What an awesome landing by Josh Scott! Man that's pretty good considering unlike most of us you have a whole camera crew plus thousands of Internet viewers watching you! Nice work man. Also great mod on the landing gear . . couldn't believe what a difference it made to the look of the model in flight!

Pilot-294

ill be trying to figure it out. maybe if i cut off the wheel collar and solder the wheels on the ends, if its down a quarter inch its ~ok~ but idk yet. ill see maybe if smaller thinner wheels are scale ill go that way. ill let you guys know what i do, its a future project but hopefully in the next couple months :)

sandblaster

Why not just purchase the new Durfly with retracts and lots of other nice features?

Ben Presten

hey fwa2500 there is a way to put retracts on your micro T-28 look up micro retracts on youtube youl find people who have done it.