CustomRCMods Concorde Build Project

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Hello All! I am new here but have been on the scene of RC trucks and quads for about 10 years... Just started flying a few months ago, progressed rather quickly, through the FT Fogey, Scout, 22, Arrow, Simple Soarer, Bushwacker, and Edge. I have been working on some custom designs, just hacking away at DTF with limited success, so I thought I would jump in with both feet to a new project.

I decided to go for a single EDF concorde project. I have drawn up the basics in CAD and decided I would start this thread up before I got to building...

I will post pictures of the plans down below, and I am thinking of running a fuselage mounted 70mm EDF with a 40a ESC, 9g Servos, and a 3/4s 1300mah Battery. For my TX/RX I will be using my trusty DX6E and a AR6210 Reciever.

Although I am in the earlier stages of the build process, please feel free to chime in below!

I have taken C.G. and weight into account, the wingspan being 26in and the length being in the neighborhood of 43in.

Plans may be a little confusing considering that they are in 2D. Hopefully the muddy water will be cleared up in future posts.

Thanks for Checking out my Build!

Check me out on YouTube: “CustomRCMods”

Check me out on Instagram: @customrcmodsofficial
6D248701-FB58-46FE-8390-DB089BA30B54.jpeg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool. Looking forward to the build.

Just a quick note on the EDF and battery selection. If you are going to build around a 70mm EDF buy one that's rated for the battery that you intend to use. A 4S EDF run on 3S will be underpowered, a 3S EDF run on 4S may let out the magic smoke (I say may because I currently run a 3S spec EDF on 4S in my mini diamond and it hasn't exploded - yet!). Once you have decided 3S or 4S make sure the battery is up to the job to deliver the amps.

One last question - will a 70mm EDF fit in the fuse?

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Cool. Looking forward to the build.

Just a quick note on the EDF and battery selection. If you are going to build around a 70mm EDF buy one that's rated for the battery that you intend to use. A 4S EDF run on 3S will be underpowered, a 3S EDF run on 4S may let out the magic smoke (I say may because I currently run a 3S spec EDF on 4S in my mini diamond and it hasn't exploded - yet!). Once you have decided 3S or 4S make sure the battery is up to the job to deliver the amps.

One last question - will a 70mm EDF fit in the fuse?

Great Point! I will make sure to pick one that is 4s capable. And yes, a 70mm just barely fits. That’s one thing I love about overengineering designs in CAD. you can really get all the dimensions and make it work even before you build it. Thanks for the input!

Hyper46havoc

Welcome. Be a good build and nice to see you already have plans look forward to seeing your progress with it

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Great - just remember that the 70mm typically refers to the housing inner diameter (depending on the EDF manufacturer). I have three "70mm" EDFs here and the outer diameter of the case ranges from 73 to 75mm If the EDF also has an inlet lip this can increase the diameter you need to accommodate still further. For example, the Detrum 70mm EDF from Grayson which was the original unit recommended for the Viggen has a full inlet lip with an OD of 87mm. Anyway - you probably know this but just in case you start to build and then find the EDF won't fit (no - no - that never happened to me ;))

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Great - just remember that the 70mm typically refers to the housing inner diameter (depending on the EDF manufacturer). I have three "70mm" EDFs here and the outer diameter of the case ranges from 73 to 75mm If the EDF also has an inlet lip this can increase the diameter you need to accommodate still further. For example, the Detrum 70mm EDF from Grayson which was the original unit recommended for the Viggen has a full inlet lip with an OD of 87mm. Anyway - you probably know this but just in case you start to build and then find the EDF won't fit (no - no - that never happened to me ;))

That is another great point I hadn’t thought about... thankfully I have planned for about a width of foam to mount it on so Looks like I will have to make that change. Thanks!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Tonight’s Update:

Was able to get the tiled plans printed off today and most of the major components into foam (see picture below) contemplating switching over to a 64mm edf to have a little more wiggle room in terms of mounting. Not planning on putting electronics in the first model, just want to see how it builds and where it balances. after I find good results, I will publish the plans and make a build video. Thanks for the support!
A8E0F361-17FB-445F-AF77-D1D9C2F26263.jpeg

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Looking forward to this. I love the Concorde and highly swept delta designs.

Thank You!!

Progress Report:

Reached my stopping point for tonight, got the main rear fuselage complete, as well as the main wing, vertical stabilizer, and tail section. I am happy to say that It looks like I got all my angles right and will only have to make minor adjustments to the plans. for the forward fuse and nose sections, I will need to make a few more adjustments, as the curving of the foam didn’t translate as well as I’d hoped with the air intake and other little bits on those pieces. The wings turned out better than expected, looks like I won’t need the doublers or the BBQ skewer spar I had planned for. I guess this wing is all Viggen Style. Should have an operational chuck glider version before the week is out. And hopefully my electronics will come in soon!

Thanks For all the Support!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Making good progress and she looks the part, even without the nose.

Thanks! Not that clean but pretty good for a v1. Next time around i’m gonna add some more paper overlap and redesign the tail mounting system for less glue poking out. And I decided for sure to go for the 64mm, as the 70mm is a bit big at this point.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've got a 1300 mah battery and 40a ESC laying around, and possibly a functional inrunner motor. As a newb I was messing around with this setup before I should have, and think I got a counterfeit or lemon FMS fan that didn't work and broke trying to fix/assemble. I'll be watching this build, because some day after I've built and successfully flown simpler stuff, I want to build something on 3s with a 64mm EDF. I will likely be building the hp-115, basically the slow flying experimental single seat slender delta plane that was used to research the concept that would eventually become the concord.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Any idea where the CG for this will be?
I can't say for certain, but based on what I've been working with on my slender delta prototypes, pretty far forward. The more oval compound shape of the concord wing might make a difference, but roughly, see the attachment. Look familiar? This is the calculation you posted to help me out a while back!

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Any idea where the CG for this will be?

@Vimana89 Is on the right track. I built the FT22 a little while ago and the CG was very far forward. Being a similar wing type I believe we are looking well into the 1st third. Either Way, like I said in earlier posts, This first build will be only to determine the CG and weight as a chuck glider sorta thing. After some Adjustments are made I will build up the EDF model.

And If you are interested @Vimana89, there will be free plans coming shortly after I get it up and flying.

Thanks again for helping me out!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
This Just in...

Realized the 64mm EDF unit I had been eyeballing is only 3s Capable, therefore I went ahead and purchased a 70mm Unit that can run 4s and I am going to build v2 around that larger unit. Electronics have been ordered and should be on my doorstep friday afternoon, and we may even have this thing airborne over the weekend. That's a stretch, but you gotta have goals ;). Looking forward to your input below!