CustomRCMods Concorde Build Project

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Have you thought about any canards?

Yeah, there will definitely be some on the final plans. I haven’t really implemented them yet because the concorde’s canards are really small so they don’t do too much to the flight characteristics. But yes, I have thought of them.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Just Following up to say that the necessary adjustments were made, and everything straightened out. Thanks to all who helped!

With nice weather today and an airworthy craft, I decided to take it out for a maiden....

It flew amazing!! much better than I ever expected. With the large airframe that has lots of drag, as well as the short and wide thrust tube, it was a very slow flyer but quite maneuverable nonetheless. very snappy on the roll axis but due to the long length the elevator seemed a little sluggish. took it back up with less noseweight and more elevator throws and it is now completely dialed in. I was able to high alpha very easy, and still get the nose down for higher speed passes. Landing of course was a breeze, coming in slow and flaring at the last second.

Overall, I am so happy how this project turned out and very excited to see other members of the community build one.

But I am not done yet....

First, I need to update the plans with my adjustments made, and configure them for more seamless tiling.

Next, I need to build another Airframe off the plans and ensure that It is everything I ever hoped it would be.

Next, I need to shoot a ‘build tips’ video for my channel so that people can understand how it goes together without watching me build the entire thing for hours on end.

Then, I need to get a bunch of flight footage to make content from.

Finally the plans will be posted here and hopefully this thread will turn into a place where people who build this design can share their experiences.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me out on this build, it wouldn’t have taken off without you.

View attachment 126287

Excellent News! Congrats on your successful maiden - looking forward to seeing some vid.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Excellent News! Congrats on your successful maiden - looking forward to seeing some vid.

Thanks! like I said there is no way this project would have taken off without the help from everyone on the forums. I am extremely pleased with the way this plane flies, I really thought I would have to make a bunch of adjustments before reaching the final product. I am planning on posting the tiled plans in under a week!

Flight videos will be coming soon!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Awesome design, glad to see it flies well without too much adjusting. I may decide to do a 64mm hp-115 eventually, but if my own projects keep turning out crap, I may just build your concord off the upcoming plans. For now though, I'm holding off on an edf setup until I get simpler home builds to work. I will be attempting my custom slender delta again here soon, and I'm debating how to do the prop. A straight tractor is out of the question for air flow reasons,and a rear pusher makes for bad cg and necessitates extra wiring extensions on a long slender wing,so my real three options are a prop in slot, a high mounted pusher(like my last attempts) or a nacelle mounted tractor somewhat back from the nose and leading edge.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just out of curiosity, real FMS EDF units don't come in light grey, do they? I had a horrible experience with one off of Ebay. the price was right but the unit was garbage. At this point I'm almost positive it was a counterfeit made in a low grade sweat shop or some clown's 3d printer.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Awesome design, glad to see it flies well without too much adjusting. I may decide to do a 64mm hp-115 eventually, but if my own projects keep turning out crap, I may just build your concord off the upcoming plans. For now though, I'm holding off on an edf setup until I get simpler home builds to work. I will be attempting my custom slender delta again here soon, and I'm debating how to do the prop. A straight tractor is out of the question for air flow reasons,and a rear pusher makes for bad cg and necessitates extra wiring extensions on a long slender wing,so my real three options are a prop in slot, a high mounted pusher(like my last attempts) or a nacelle mounted tractor somewhat back from the nose and leading edge.

I wish you best of luck with your build! It may take a try or two, but seems like you have a good idea of all you options. For me, building a chuck glider beforehand was one of the best things I did to ensure success on my maiden. It really helps to find the CG.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Just out of curiosity, real FMS EDF units don't come in light grey, do they? I had a horrible experience with one off of Ebay. the price was right but the unit was garbage. At this point I'm almost positive it was a counterfeit made in a low grade sweat shop or some clown's 3d printer.

I am not completely familiar with the FMS lineup. I actually just went for a cheap one off amazon. the one in my Concorde is a “XSOURCE” 70mm 6 blade. it was 20$, prime shipped to my door in 2 days, not bad. Build seems adequate, and It is very powerful. you can check it out here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWJ43QR/?tag=lstir-20

It also comes in a 64mm 5 blade version, if you are interested.

Either way, time will tell on how it holds up. Seems pretty sturdy with 2 flights under my belt.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got a nice flight on film today... Here it is:

Gorgeous. The lines and profile on the plane really capture the look of the Concorde, and she flies just as that type of plane should. Slender wing designs are much more capable and much less intimidating than they seem at first glance. They look like they are going Mach two just sitting still, but speed is far from required to keep them in the air, they fly great slow too especially on high alpha. Landings are super easy. You can belly flop and come out fine with all that ground effect and vortex lift.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Gorgeous. The lines and profile on the plane really capture the look of the Concorde, and she flies just as that type of plane should. Slender wing designs are much more capable and much less intimidating than they seem at first glance. They look like they are going Mach two just sitting still, but speed is far from required to keep them in the air, they fly great slow too especially on high alpha. Landings are super easy. You can belly flop and come out fine with all that ground effect and vortex lift.

Thanks! It flew really well and I don’t think It would be that intimidating as a newbie’s 2nd or 3rd airplane.

Plans will be coming later this week!

L Edge

Master member
Past experience:

Suggest you check your inlet and outlet each time. I use to fly real early in the morning when there was dew on the grass. Field was mowed the day before at club. Chucked it on the second flight (F-16 with a 70 mm) and crash, it did. It spit out 4 blades at me and wet clumps of grass and the inlet was the cause. Expensive flight.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Past experience:

Suggest you check your inlet and outlet each time. I use to fly real early in the morning when there was dew on the grass. Field was mowed the day before at club. Chucked it on the second flight (F-16 with a 70 mm) and crash, it did. It spit out 4 blades at me and wet clumps of grass and the inlet was the cause. Expensive flight.

Great advice! Will do. I will also add that to a list of EDF tips for an upcoming video. Thanks!

Vimana89

Legendary member

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Well that clears that up. At first I thought it didn't have canards, then I looked close and thought it did. I figured they were more turbulence generators than anything else. Didn't know "strakes" was the technical term. Interesting, I may incorporate them into my slender delta design.

Yep. They definitely have a purpose, just not really one for my design.

Update: The final flight of the first model has been flown, and the electronics have been stripped and are ready for the next airframe. should get the plans tiled out and the plane built by the end of the week.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yep. They definitely have a purpose, just not really one for my design.

Update: The final flight of the first model has been flown, and the electronics have been stripped and are ready for the next airframe. should get the plans tiled out and the plane built by the end of the week.
Awesome. I may build this as my first EDF plane. Uses some techniques that are a bit sketchy for my skill level though. Also, I have trouble making my elevons perfectly in sync as it is much less forgiving than AET/RET. this just killed my recent prototype.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Awesome. I may build this as my first EDF plane. Uses some techniques that are a bit sketchy for my skill level though. Also, I have trouble making my elevons perfectly in sync as it is much less forgiving than AET/RET. this just killed my recent prototype.

Awesome!

Being completely transparent, This plane was so easy to fly!!! It was my first EDF experience, and a very good one indeed. It high alphas real well, glides pretty well considering the wing size, and is really predictable all around. I have only been flying for 3 months and have never once crashed this airplane. Like the viggen, I find the nose to be the main part that takes the damage if you do nose it in.

The plans should be old hat if you have built FT before, as a lot of the same tactics are used. This plane is over 6 feet long with a 30 inch wingspan and builds in under 4 sheets of foam! Of course you can run any 4s compatible 64 or 70mm edf unit, paired with a 40a+ esc. I am using cheapo SG90 9g servos, and a Spektrum AR6210 RX, with a 4s 1300. I am quite confident that this plane can be built for under 60 bucks easy...

Anyway, needless to say I am so happy with how it turned out. It would mean a lot to me if you built my Concorde and shared your thoughts about it on this thread!