Cut servo wires

chubbyhubby1222

As I was taking apart one of my build I accidentally cut the wires to one of my servos. I tries twisting them together and it didn't really work. I was wondering if I could somehow solder them together and use heat shrink to repair the damage. Let me know if this is possible.
Thanks.
ps. I apologize for the blurry image.

Attachments

• WIN_20200107_09_29_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200107_09_29_08_Pro.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
You can solder them, they are pretty thin. Insulation is a must, heat shrink is bst. If you have excess wire you can just crimp a new servo plug onto the end. The silver pin parts of the plug come out the plastic insulator and can be replaced, they are usually a JST pin. That is the best way to do it.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You should be able to twist them together and solder it. Then put some heat shrink over to protect it. I've done it with my servos.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You can solder them, they are pretty thin. Insulation is a must, heat shrink is bst. If you have excess wire you can just crimp a new servo plug onto the end. The silver pin parts of the plug come out the plastic insulator and can be replaced, they are usually a JST pin. That is the best way to do it.

Oh, sorry! We posted at that same time!!

Reactions: FDS

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering if I could somehow solder them together and use heat shrink to repair the damage.
Yes, you can repair this. I have made this repair many times, I don't bother twisting the wires, the solder joint alone is sufficent.

You need to heat shrink each wire separately to prevent a short. OR Stager the wires so each solder joint is slightly separated form the other, then one heat shrink over the bunch. You don't want these wires to ever touch each other. If they do touch, smoke may come out of something.

Reactions: FDS

Bricks

Master member
Yes, you can repair this. I have made this repair many times, I don't bother twisting the wires, the solder joint alone is sufficent.

You need to heat shrink each wire separately to prevent a short. OR Stager the wires so each solder joint is slightly separated form the other, then one heat shrink over the bunch. You don't want these wires to ever touch each other. If they do touch, smoke may come out of something.

MMMMMMmmmm the smell of burning plastic and electronics. :love: :giggle: :poop: